Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 03:39:31 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: This world runs on EVIL,GREED and SELFISHNESS  (Read 8204 times)
Hunterbunter

Activity: 994
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 09, 2012, 11:36:19 PM

The fastest way the truly greedy can take advantage of you, is by convincing you that greed is good.

They are far better at it, and they're asking you to play a game where they know the rules inside out. The vast majority of the population who aren't anywhere near as greedy as them will always lose out to them, because their consciences get in the way, whereas the truly greedy have no such affliction.

I believe the modern "greed is good" paradigm started around 1986...I think it was even referenced in the movie "Wall Street" and some influential people publicly announced it. All market temperance went out the window for profit, and it has led inexorably to what we have today. The nature of "greed is good" is also to trend to one or so winner, so good luck.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Activity + Trust + Earned Merit == The Most Recognized Users on Bitcointalk
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Hawker
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1001

View Profile
February 10, 2012, 09:30:18 AM

The fastest way the truly greedy can take advantage of you, is by convincing you that greed is good.

They are far better at it, and they're asking you to play a game where they know the rules inside out. The vast majority of the population who aren't anywhere near as greedy as them will always lose out to them, because their consciences get in the way, whereas the truly greedy have no such affliction.

I believe the modern "greed is good" paradigm started around 1986...I think it was even referenced in the movie "Wall Street" and some influential people publicly announced it. All market temperance went out the window for profit, and it has led inexorably to what we have today. The nature of "greed is good" is also to trend to one or so winner, so good luck.

Its funny you say that.  I saw that movie in 1987 and was blown away by Gordon Gekko.  So were a hell of a lot of people who were just beginning to see the money in being an intermediary.  I read somewhere that Oliver Stone was horrified at how people took the "wrong" meaning from his film but "Wall Street" is the only Oliver Stone film that I didn't think sucked Smiley
schnell

Activity: 266
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 15, 2012, 08:36:36 PM

This thread was started because of this:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=14085.msg731942#msg731942

For those not interested or too lazy I'll summarize.

1) Ozcoin pool was hacked and funds stolen, graet(the owner) was pissed
2) I was pissed at everything today
3) Started thread.

My questions for starters:

1) was it always like this? or is it getting worse?
2) is there anything we can do or just toughen up and take it "like a man" ?

edit: this is not about a hacked pool or even the bitcoin community as a whole although the goings on here
(hacks,scams etc..) have ignited the thread. just watch the news around the world or in your own community.
are the good people being overrun by the (hopefully) small amount of people that create the chaos?

Always gonna be people prepared to do things like this, just remember to have a decent firewall + encryption when necessary Smiley
Hunterbunter

Activity: 994
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 15, 2012, 10:47:55 PM

For those not interested or too lazy I'll summarize.

1) Ozcoin pool was hacked and funds stolen, graet(the owner) was pissed
2) I was pissed at everything today
3) Started thread.

My questions for starters:

1) was it always like this? or is it getting worse?
2) is there anything we can do or just toughen up and take it "like a man" ?

Always gonna be people prepared to do things like this, just remember to have a decent firewall + encryption when necessary Smiley

I'm sure the good people of America's pioneering days in the west would be able to identify also.
drakahn

Activity: 504
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 19, 2012, 06:14:08 PM

We have money,
Money rewards evil, greed and selfishness
evil, greed and selfishness keep money going
rinse and repeat

14ga8dJ6NGpiwQkNTXg7KzwozasfaXNfEU
BTC guy

Activity: 378

View Profile
February 22, 2012, 12:09:02 AM

Things are getting worse. It will always be this way. There is nothing you can do about it.

BTC guy

View Profile
February 22, 2012, 04:12:04 AM

Good intentions wont change anything. Greed and evil is winning.

BTC guy

View Profile
February 22, 2012, 04:23:05 AM

Even if you want to be a good person and do your part its not enough. Unless we all work together things will never change.

Kluge
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1015

View Profile
February 22, 2012, 04:44:38 AM

Even if you want to be a good person and do your part its not enough. Unless we all work together things will never change.

That's where the spreading knowledge and information comes in...
No, because action requires thinking it's purposeful, but because we know we are doomed, we are doomed.
BTC guy

View Profile
February 22, 2012, 04:51:18 AM

We have all been armed with the information of people starving around the world. We all have the knowledge of children being forced in to sexual slavery. Telling people isnt enough. And neither is the actions of a few. We dont know how to love each other and work together. Too many people value money more than life. Evil will continue to spread around the world and there is very little or nothing you can do about it.

farfiman (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1449
Merit: 1001

View Profile
February 22, 2012, 07:01:14 PM

OK then. You two have fun on your sinking raft. No point in talking to people who've already made up their minds.

I personally think society has improved drastically over the history of mankind. We are living longer more productive lives. We have the freedom to enjoy life if we take it. Sure there is a lot of bad in the world, but there is so much good as well. The internet is young. The free flow of information will slowly work to fix many of the injustices in the world. Old ideals will die off and the youth will find ways to solve problems where their ancestors failed.

Depends what you call society. You mean the society you know? The western world? Yes, there are some improvements in those parts of the world , but they are the minority. Majority of the world is poor ,hungry,sick,abused,oppressed.   

In the western world, we live longer and healthier but I'm not sure If happier. The "ruling elite" in these countries control most of the money and the goal of most people is to have more and more money. People are so obsessed with money that they will do anything to get it ( hence the title of this thread). Who has time to think of the troubles of the rest of the world? Even if somebody does care ( and some do) what power do they have? They too are in the "rat race" of the modern world.

"We are just fools. We insanely believe that we can replace one politician with another and something will really change. The ONLY possible way to achieve change is to change the very system of how government functions. Until we are prepared to do that, suck it up for your future belongs to the madness and corruption of politicians."
Martin Armstrong
BTC guy

View Profile
February 22, 2012, 11:09:34 PM
Last edit: February 23, 2012, 04:15:44 AM by BTC guy

For the record im not trying to be a downer. I saw the thread and i just threw my opinion out there. The world truly is what we make of it. We have the ability to change things. We can live in peace if we choose to. I just dont think we will ever achieve that. I agree there are many good people in the world. Probably more good than evil at this point. But the amount of evil people in the world is growing by the day. Sooner or later i think they will outnumber the good. I also agree we live longer but not happier. Too many people are stressed out and depressed. I think thats because our priorities are fucked up. Wealth and social status has become our idea of happiness. If you think things are getting better you should take a look at this list of wars and conflicts the US has been involved in. Our whole history is full of violence and hostility towards each other. Maybe one day things will be better. But for now things are definitely going to get worse before they get better.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timeline_of_United_States_military_operations

Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  

Jump to: