Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 08:58:28 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: who has the highest GH for a single machine out there? (GPU Mining)  (Read 3775 times)
bulanula

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 06, 2012, 08:31:29 PM

Damn if I can get this working, I think I can safely say I have the largest e-peen of all the GPU miners here. Grin

If I want to sell it to an enterprise or government, I'd probably have to load it with "Pro" cards like FireGL shit and Quadros though. I think there are a few FireGL cards that have 1600 shaders each and only take up one slot.

BTW, I know of Quadro-based systems that have more than 8 GPUs - wonder if the "pro" drivers remove that limitation, or whether nVidia just has never had such a limitation.

What cards have 1600 shaders and only one slot except watercooled 5870s ?

AFAIK Nvidia has no limitations on the number of GPUs but I think they may have an artificial one like ATI with 8 ( maybe 16 with Nvidia ? ). Ask the folding guys.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The trust scores you see are subjective; they will change depending on who you have in your trust list.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
rjk

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

1ngldh

View Profile
February 06, 2012, 08:41:15 PM

Damn if I can get this working, I think I can safely say I have the largest e-peen of all the GPU miners here. Grin

If I want to sell it to an enterprise or government, I'd probably have to load it with "Pro" cards like FireGL shit and Quadros though. I think there are a few FireGL cards that have 1600 shaders each and only take up one slot.

BTW, I know of Quadro-based systems that have more than 8 GPUs - wonder if the "pro" drivers remove that limitation, or whether nVidia just has never had such a limitation.

AFAIK Nvidia has no limitations on the number of GPUs but I think they may have an artificial one like ATI with 8 ( maybe 16 with Nvidia ? ). Ask the folding guys.

My bad, the only 1600 shader cards are dual slot. However the FirePro V7800P has 1440 shaders and a passive single slot cooling solution designed for servers.

Mining Rig Extraordinaire - the Trenton BPX6806 18-slot PCIe backplane [PICS] Dead project is dead, all hail the coming of the mighty ASIC!
The-Real-Link

Activity: 533

View Profile
February 08, 2012, 09:32:33 PM

My bad, the only 1600 shader cards are dual slot. However the FirePro V7800P has 1440 shaders and a passive single slot cooling solution designed for servers.

Wow that's pretty cool.  Good luck finding them cheap though.  Still $1,100+ on Ebay.

Oh Loaded, who art up in Mt. Gox, hallowed be thy name!  Thy dollars rain, thy will be done, on BTCUSD.  Give us this day our daily 10% 30%, and forgive the bears, as we have bought their bitcoins.  And lead us into quadruple digits
chungenhung
Legendary

Activity: 1134
Merit: 1005

View Profile
February 08, 2012, 10:37:46 PM

nVidia have 8 GPU limit as well.
cablepair

Activity: 896
Merit: 1000

Buy this account on March-2019. New Owner here!!

View Profile WWW
February 08, 2012, 10:41:07 PM

all my rigs have 5 x 5870 in them, I have never been able to get a system to have more than 5 cards stable in windows, im sure someone has done it but I just could not get it to have any stability

P4man

View Profile
February 08, 2012, 10:45:13 PM

I dont think they have. Windows, more specifically, WDDM has a 6 or 8 ?GPU limit for display devices. Fiddling with the registry can overcome that, by making some cards not be recognized as display devices (they wont function anymore if you connect a monitor). Thats also why XP doesnt have this problem, it doesnt have WDDM
Anyway, I distinctly remember reading an nvidia engineer describing how to do that, and saying there was no hard driver limit to the amount of GPUs. That was in the context of CUDA, but it shouldnt be different for OpenCL.

DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
February 08, 2012, 11:06:06 PM

I dont think they have. Windows, more specifically, WDDM has a 6 or 8 ?GPU limit for display devices. Fiddling with the registry can overcome that, by making some cards not be recognized as display devices (they wont function anymore if you connect a monitor). Thats also why XP doesnt have this problem, it doesnt have WDDM
Anyway, I distinctly remember reading an nvidia engineer describing how to do that, and saying there was no hard driver limit to the amount of GPUs. That was in the context of CUDA, but it shouldnt be different for OpenCL.

Looking at the folding forums it seems pretty consistent that NVidia doesn't support more than 8.  Also there are various BIOS issues that make running >8 improbable even if NVidia officially supported it.

One example from NVidia's forums:
http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=90410
P4man

View Profile
February 08, 2012, 11:09:07 PM

It does support my point there is no driver limitation Smiley. From your link:
but I really do think you'll hit SBIOS limitations before you hit driver problems. I know we have a test machine set up for many-GPU experiments and with 12 GPUs we ran into numerous system BIOS issues that we had to fix before we could even boot to a console.

Whether or not those BIOS problems will be a factor using those backplanes is anyone's guess I suppose. The only way to found out for sure might be expensive Smiley.

DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
February 08, 2012, 11:19:28 PM

It does support my point there is no driver limitation Smiley. From your link:
but I really do think you'll hit SBIOS limitations before you hit driver problems. I know we have a test machine set up for many-GPU experiments and with 12 GPUs we ran into numerous system BIOS issues that we had to fix before we could even boot to a console.

Well NVidia has never made any claim >8 GPU will work even without BIOS issues.  I took that more as blame deflection rather than an admission that the drivers will work with more than 8.  Others have reported inability to get >8 GPU on one rig.

Some time back I looked around and never found anybody on any forum that had 9+ GPU working on a single rig.

Leaving system BIOS issues aside, the nVidia driver does not support more than 8 GPUs in a single machine in either Linux or Windows. This fact leads one to ponder virtualizing the hardware and running multiple VMs on the machine, each with fewer than 8 GPUs. Unfortunately there is no VM software that I have been able to find that can virtualize GPUs. Xen is working on it for their next release, but because of the way that Xen functions even it may not work for this specific problem. Xen may still be limited by the nVidia driver's 8 GPU limitation, but this is unclear to me as yet. There is also a fair chance that you'll have to use Linux and not Windows on Xen to get virtualized GPUs to work, and that would in turn require using the finicky WINE CUDA wrapper.

http://foldingforum.org/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=9011#p89268

Still it might be possible. I would love to see someone try, I just would they would go into it with understanding there is a good chance it won't work and they will be left with a lot of expensive parts. 

Still say 8x 7990 7970s,  ~18GH per rig.  Smiley
PatrickHarnett

View Profile
February 08, 2012, 11:33:11 PM
Last edit: February 09, 2012, 03:05:58 AM by PatrickHarnett

I read this thread expecting some numbers.  Where are they?

I'm not a serious miner, so haven't loaded up a 4*5970 board yet, and I run standard clocks so don't get any special speeds.  My top rig is currently cruising at a bit over 1.8Ghash (6 * 314Mhash from three 5970's).  Maybe I'll crank up the clock speeds temporarily with a fourth card on a different board I have, but that's not the plan at this stage.

Edit: slight o/c to 800Mhz/500 gives 2.077
rjk

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

1ngldh

View Profile
February 09, 2012, 12:57:22 AM

I read this thread expecting some numbers.  Where are they?

I'm not a serious miner, so haven't loaded up a 4*5970 board yet, and I run standard clocks so don't get any special speeds.  My top rig is currently cruising at a bit over 1.8Ghash (6 * 314Mhash from three 5970's).  Maybe I'll crank up the clock speeds temporarily with a fourth card on a different board I have, but that's not the plan at this stage.
Well I haven't tried any hardcore OC with my current rigs, but they both have 6x 5870's, clocked at 940/300 default voltage. About 2550 mhash per machine, 60 degrees or so and about 55% fan. So 5 Ghash across both machines.

Mining Rig Extraordinaire - the Trenton BPX6806 18-slot PCIe backplane [PICS] Dead project is dead, all hail the coming of the mighty ASIC!
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: