Bitcoin Forum
April 16, 2024, 09:13:39 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Catherine Flick spreads FUD on bitcoin and dual use  (Read 5648 times)
hazek
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1002

View Profile
February 08, 2012, 05:13:30 PM

It doesn't matter if you have two oranges, or two apples, or two dogs: the number two is valid in all of those cases (it fits every possible 2 things).
It doesn't matter if you have a green chair, and a blue chair, and an old chair: the concept "chair" is valid in all of those cases (it fits every possible chair).

Get it now?

It doesn't matter if you hold "truth" to be objective and universally preferable in a debate, or if you have a discussion, as of a public question in an assembly, involving opposing viewpoints in a debate or if you have a formal contest in which the affirmative and negative sides of a proposition are advocated by opposing speakers in a debate or if you have a deliberation/consideration in a debate: the concept of "debate" is valid in all of those cases(it fits every possible debate).

Yep I get it.

p.s.: there is no such thing as universally preferable, since preference is always subjective it can't possibly be universal, what is universal is a requirement, but a requirement != preference and this is something you wont even address..

My personality type: INTJ - please forgive my weaknesses (Not naturally in tune with others feelings; may be insensitive at times, tend to respond to conflict with logic and reason, tend to believe I'm always right)

If however you enjoyed my post: 15j781DjuJeVsZgYbDVt2NZsGrWKRWFHpp

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
hazek
Legendary

View Profile
February 08, 2012, 05:19:00 PM

BTW it's so hilarious how religiously you'll defend an invalid argument just because it came from a person who you clearly look up to. Why can't you put your objective hat on for a moment and truly examine his argument instead of blindly making illogical excuses for it.

One final time. Preference != requirement, do you understand this? Cause I'll explain it to you if you don't understand how preference isn't the same as requirement. Understanding the difference is crucial to understanding the flaw in Stef's argument.. As long as you think preference = requirement his argument will appear valid and that's where you're still making the mistake.

My personality type: INTJ - please forgive my weaknesses (Not naturally in tune with others feelings; may be insensitive at times, tend to respond to conflict with logic and reason, tend to believe I'm always right)

majamalu
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
February 09, 2012, 01:58:20 AM
Last edit: February 09, 2012, 02:13:00 AM by majamalu

BTW it's so hilarious how religiously you'll defend an invalid argument just because it came from a person who you clearly look up to. Why can't you put your objective hat on for a moment and truly examine his argument instead of blindly making illogical excuses for it.

One final time. Preference != requirement, do you understand this? Cause I'll explain it to you if you don't understand how preference isn't the same as requirement. Understanding the difference is crucial to understanding the flaw in Stef's argument.. As long as you think preference = requirement his argument will appear valid and that's where you're still making the mistake.

Can't you see what's happening?

A) You are arguing for what you believe to be true, ie you have a preference for the truth.

B) In order to find the truth, using logic and evidence is universally preferable behavior, just as in order to stay alive as a human being, eating is universally preferable behavior.

C) If you say that you don't have a preference for truth, you can not expect anyone to take seriously anything you say.

If you don't get it, that's ok, but you should recheck your personality type (specialy this: "Tend to respond to conflict with logic and reason").

Last attempt:
Nobody said preference = requirement. You have to clarify what preference, and for what purpose. Example: In order to get by car to Los Angeles from New York, it is universally preferable (required) to head to the west.

http://elbitcoin.org - Bitcoin en español
http://mercadobitcoin.com - MercadoBitcoin
hazek
Legendary

View Profile
February 09, 2012, 02:39:37 AM

Last attempt:
Nobody said preference = requirement. You have to clarify what preference, and for what purpose. Example: In order to get by car to Los Angeles from New York, it is universally preferable (required) to head to the west.

Bwahahahaha you can't be serious.. Do you not see you just contradicted yourself while pretended that preference = requirement when you said it is universally preferable(required) to head west? It's not preferable, it's required! Period.

Look, I see Stef confused you about the meaning of both words so I'll explain them to you. Pay attention!

A preference expresses your desire to pick something from either group A over something in group B (from options: west AND east) but INCLUDES both groups. A requirement expresses the only choice available between group A or group B and excludes the one over the other(from options: west OR east).

For example if you say you prefer going west over east, you are saying you'd like to go west most of the time but not necessarily always. Sometimes you might reluctantly go east.
But if you say you are required to go west, then you are saying you don't have a choice but must always go west. East isn't an option. And this is a simple logical operation of AND and OR. What Stef and you are doing is pretending AND = OR, 2+2=5 5=4, preference = requirement. As soon as you do that anything else you utter is invalid.

Therefor saying "In order to get by car to Los Angeles from New York, it is universally preferable (required) to head to the west." IS COMPLETE AND UTTER NONSENSE.

The correct example would be "In order to get by car to Los Angeles from New York, it is required to head to the west." Or you could say "In order to get by car anywhere from New York, it is preferable to head to the west as opposed to south or north even though you still might go those directions.

It's truly astonishing over how many people Stef manages to hold this spell where he convinced them that somehow, because he pretended it's true, preference = requirement.

p.s.: So I want get accused of dodging anything:
A) Yes I have a preference for truth, but it's my own subjective preference.. just because I have it, it doesn't mean every single human being has it, ask any liar.
B) No, in order to find the truth(a subjective goal) using logic and evidence is REQUIRED behavior, just as in order to stay alive as a human being, eating is a REQUIRED behavior.
C) Just because anyone wouldn't take me seriously, doesn't mean I'd never prefer a lie over the truth, I mean come on, this is kindergarten stuff

hazek
Legendary

View Profile
February 09, 2012, 02:40:27 AM

Oh and I'd like you to address the bold bit:

It doesn't matter if you have two oranges, or two apples, or two dogs: the number two is valid in all of those cases (it fits every possible 2 things).
It doesn't matter if you have a green chair, and a blue chair, and an old chair: the concept "chair" is valid in all of those cases (it fits every possible chair).

Get it now?

It doesn't matter if you hold "truth" to be objective and universally preferable in a debate, or if you have a discussion, as of a public question in an assembly, involving opposing viewpoints in a debate or if you have a formal contest in which the affirmative and negative sides of a proposition are advocated by opposing speakers in a debate or if you have a deliberation/consideration in a debate: the concept of "debate" is valid in all of those cases(it fits every possible debate).

Yep I get it.

p.s.: there is no such thing as universally preferable, since preference is always subjective it can't possibly be universal, what is universal is a requirement, but a requirement != preference and this is something you wont even address..

majamalu
Legendary

View Profile WWW
February 09, 2012, 03:04:40 AM

Last attempt:

Bwahahahaha you can't be serious.. Do you not see you just contradicted yourself while pretended that preference = requirement when you said it is universally preferable(required) to head west? It's not preferable, it's required! Period.

You are not paying attention. Again: You have to clarify what preference, and for what purpose. Example: In order to get by car to Los Angeles from New York, it is universally preferable (required in this example) to head to the west.

May be you are confusing "prefered" with "preferable".

hazek
Legendary

View Profile
February 09, 2012, 03:08:56 AM

Maybe you should learn that they mean one and the same but are not synonymous with required.  Wink

pre·fer  (pr-fûr)
tr.v. pre·ferred, pre·fer·ring, pre·fers
1. To choose or be in the habit of choosing as more desirable or as having more value: prefers coffee to tea.
2. Law
a. To give priority or precedence to (a creditor).
b. To file, prosecute, or offer for consideration or resolution before a magistrate, court, or other legal authority: preferred the suit in a higher court.
3. Archaic To recommend for advancement or appointment; promote.

pref·er·a·ble  (prfr--bl, prfr-)
adj.
More desirable or worthy than another; preferred: Coffee is preferable to tea, I think.

Like I said, the spell Stef keeps you under is truly astonishing.

majamalu
Legendary

View Profile WWW
February 09, 2012, 03:19:12 AM

Maybe you should learn that they mean one and the same but are not synonymous with required.  Wink

"Preferable" is for anyone: In order to get by car to Los Angeles from New York, it is universally preferable to head to the west.

That doesn't mean that you must prefer that. It only means that if you prefer to go to the east and act accordingly, you will not get by car to Los Angeles from New York.

hazek
Legendary

View Profile
February 09, 2012, 03:30:43 AM

Unbelievable.

Anyway you're too deep under so I'm going to stop wasting my time in this thread.

I suggest you show Stef's argument and my points about it's flaws to an impartial 3rd party who hasn't yet been exposed to the argument and listen to their opinion which might perhaps wake you up and perhaps you can also report back to me what they tell you Wink

majamalu
Legendary

View Profile WWW
February 09, 2012, 04:04:24 AM
Last edit: February 09, 2012, 05:42:48 AM by majamalu

I know it's not easy to understand, because we are trained (by immoral institutions) to believe that morality is a matter of opinion.

Let me tell you: Your mistake is a dangerous one; it is the root of moral relativism (which, in turn, feeds violent institutions).

cunicula
Legendary

Activity: 1050
Merit: 1003

View Profile
February 10, 2012, 02:48:02 PM

I know it's not easy to understand, because we are trained (by immoral institutions) to believe that morality is a matter of opinion.

Let me tell you: Your mistake is a dangerous one; it is the root of moral relativism (which, in turn, feeds violent institutions).

If I was to make an introduction video explaining how and why to use the ignore button, it would feature the above post.
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  

Jump to: