Bitcoin Forum
April 23, 2024, 04:13:00 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: I think I found the perfect way to schedule a massive pump  (Read 2042 times)
solomania9 (OP)

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
May 28, 2014, 01:24:54 PM

Ok hear me out. If a whale wants to announce a pump anonymously, he can make a long expensive post on http://bitcoinmegaphone.com announcing the date and time.

If the post is long enough (ie, expensive enough) people will know he's actually a whale and is serious. Then the post's permalink will get spread around the internet, helping to ensure the pump has a good chance of happening.

Thoughts?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
TalkImg was created especially for hosting images on bitcointalk.org: try it next time you want to post an image
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
KaChingCoinDev

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 28, 2014, 03:36:02 PM

Ok hear me out. If a whale wants to announce a pump anonymously, he can make a long expensive post on http://bitcoinmegaphone.com announcing the date and time.

If the post is long enough (ie, expensive enough) people will know he's actually a whale and is serious. Then the post's permalink will get spread around the internet, helping to ensure the pump has a good chance of happening.

Thoughts?

Huh

How much is he going to spend? 1 BTC for almost 85k characters? How rambly is he? The time it takes to write the message is not worth it lol.

LOL
Black Tie

Activity: 18
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 28, 2014, 04:15:20 PM

Is there anything stopping people from tipping themselves? I suspect that's what the most-tipped list is.
protokol
Legendary

Activity: 1188
Merit: 1016

View Profile
May 28, 2014, 05:06:55 PM

Thoughts?

Huh

How much is he going to spend? 1 BTC for almost 85k characters? How rambly is he? The time it takes to write the message is not worth it lol.

LOL

CTRL+V  Wink

Seriously though, I don't think this would work. If news of the pump got too public, it would become very unpredictable.
Best way I think, would be to organise it with a bunch of other whales privately with strict timing, allowing you to play the market with people who don't have a clue what's going on...
KaChingCoinDev

View Profile
May 28, 2014, 05:22:48 PM

Thoughts?

Huh

LOL

CTRL+V  Wink

True. But still, doesn't sound so realistic to me
skivrmt

Activity: 994
Merit: 501

View Profile
May 28, 2014, 05:28:35 PM

Thoughts?

Does anyone care about the legality of this regardless of if it will work or not?  Almost no possibility it will, but funny how people think oh its Bitcoin, there are no rules.  Rules apply to basically anything that can be traded or manipulated.  Bitcoin certainly falls under both those umbrellas.
ShameOnYou

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 28, 2014, 06:56:04 PM

Thoughts?

Announcing the date and time of a pump renders the whole thing dead. Everyone will be front running each other to get in before the pump "starts" and then when it officially does, everyone will be running for the exit. Could work out well for the whale, though, if they accumulated nicely before making the announcement.
Skele

Activity: 224

VocalPlatform.com

View Profile
May 28, 2014, 08:28:39 PM

Thoughts?

Someone can spend 1 bitcoin writing an "expensive" message to let the fools buy into his "pump", they will pump bitcoin just to let the whale dump his coins at the peak over the first ones.
tianrui81317

Activity: 116
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 28, 2014, 09:28:06 PM

The best way it not to schedule a massive pump.
odolvlobo
Legendary

Activity: 4298
Merit: 3200

View Profile
May 28, 2014, 11:54:06 PM
Last edit: May 29, 2014, 02:30:33 AM by odolvlobo

The pump game is stupid. Some people win (the guy that announces, and maybe the first people in), but everyone else are just suckers.

The stupidest part is that the guy that announces doesn't even really play. He has already bought in and just cashes out after he announces.

Join an anti-signature campaign: Click ignore on the members of signature campaigns.
PGP Fingerprint: 6B6BC26599EC24EF7E29A405EAF050539D0B2925 Signing address: 13GAVJo8YaAuenj6keiEykwxWUZ7jMoSLt
ShameOnYou

View Profile
May 29, 2014, 12:41:13 AM

The pump game is stupid. Some people win (the guy that announces, and the first people in), but everyone else are just suckers.

The stupidest part is that the guy that announces doesn't even really play. He has already bought in and just cashes out after he announces.

Well, it's not really stupid for the pumper then, eh? Sounds like they are making out with a nice profit, buying at the bottom and selling to all the suckers on the way up.
Plento

Activity: 129
Merit: 1

View Profile
May 29, 2014, 01:50:18 AM

I had this idea when I was like... 10.
Wouldln't work in practice.
odolvlobo
Legendary

Activity: 4298
Merit: 3200

View Profile
May 29, 2014, 02:29:38 AM

I had this idea when I was like... 10.
Wouldn't work in practice.

The sad fact is that it does work. Look up Fontas.

Join an anti-signature campaign: Click ignore on the members of signature campaigns.
PGP Fingerprint: 6B6BC26599EC24EF7E29A405EAF050539D0B2925 Signing address: 13GAVJo8YaAuenj6keiEykwxWUZ7jMoSLt
keithers
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1001

This is the land of wolves now & you're not a wolf

View Profile
May 29, 2014, 04:34:56 AM

Have I been living under a rock?  I have never even heard of bitcoinmegaphone until I read this thread...

This would probably work with some of the Alt-coins, and just maybe a little bit on BTC, but not enough to be all that profitable...
ranlo
Legendary

Activity: 1974
Merit: 1007

View Profile
May 29, 2014, 04:48:20 AM

Thoughts?

This sounds like a self-plug for the site... because in the real world this wouldn't matter at all. Someone could just as easily sign a transaction from a wallet with thousands of BTC and post it on the forums.

https://nanogames.io/i-bctalk-n/
Message for info on how to get kickbacks on sites like Nano (above) and CryptoPlay!
Ron~Popeil

Activity: 406

View Profile
May 29, 2014, 05:26:55 AM

Market manipulation is the last thing we need. These stupid pump and dump schemes only hurt what this community is trying to accomplish.

Skele

Activity: 224

VocalPlatform.com

View Profile
May 29, 2014, 05:48:09 AM

The pump game is stupid. Some people win (the guy that announces, and maybe the first people in), but everyone else are just suckers.

Yes this is what i mean, fontas was doing this at his last pumps, they dont even really pump they only dump their coins to the suckers that believed on the "pump". Altough thats illegal and we dont want that shit on bitcoin
KaChingCoinDev

View Profile
May 29, 2014, 03:58:34 PM

We are drifting lol.

This was about HOW to do a Pump, not WHY to do a Pump
Ratters

Activity: 434
Merit: 263

View Profile
May 29, 2014, 05:32:09 PM

Im not sure that will work, the web page is to obscure. saying that x11 went up to .0049 albeit a few hours later. lets see what happens to pinkcoin though but like i said on twitter i think its too early for pink.

If it works it will quickly kill its self, you will get 100 people a day announcing pumps for £1!
ShameOnYou

View Profile
May 29, 2014, 05:45:27 PM

Market manipulation is the last thing we need. These stupid pump and dump schemes only hurt what this community is trying to accomplish.

Sure (and what OP suggested would not work at all anyway). BUT to some extent, and especially in a market with such low liquidity as bitcoin, there will naturally be sharks trying to fleece the inexperienced traders/investors.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: