Bitcoin Forum
March 29, 2024, 09:47:15 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: * The starfish is upon us *  (Read 3640 times)
NamelessOne
Legendary

Activity: 840
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 07, 2012, 07:23:11 PM

It appears so

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The network tries to produce one block per 10 minutes. It does this by automatically adjusting how difficult it is to produce blocks.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
ineededausername

Activity: 784

bitcoin hundred-aire

View Profile
February 07, 2012, 07:36:30 PM

I guess most of you didn't really follow the events on Bitcoinica since the "big squeeze". The starfish appears more often for a reason - Zhou slightly changed the way it works after the incident. Before that, starfish would show up only when Bitcoinica was totally out of reserves and one couldn't even liquidate his positions or withdraw USD. It was changed since then so when Bitcoinica's reserves are depleting, they halt trading in certain direction to maintain their reserves for liquidations and withdrawals. That's why we see the star more often even though it's not "dangerous" as much as it was before.

Okay, maybe it's time to buy back in.

I like your avatar... it seems to capture the mood of the market quite well. Tongue

(BFL)^2 < 0
NamelessOne
Legendary

Activity: 840

View Profile
February 07, 2012, 07:38:11 PM

I guess most of you didn't really follow the events on Bitcoinica since the "big squeeze". The starfish appears more often for a reason - Zhou slightly changed the way it works after the incident. Before that, starfish would show up only when Bitcoinica was totally out of reserves and one couldn't even liquidate his positions or withdraw USD. It was changed since then so when Bitcoinica's reserves are depleting, they halt trading in certain direction to maintain their reserves for liquidations and withdrawals. That's why we see the star more often even though it's not "dangerous" as much as it was before.

I like your avatar... it seems to capture the mood of the market quite well. Tongue

His avatars are amazing, they never cease to entertain me.
Crypt_Current

Activity: 686
Merit: 500

Shame on everything; regret nothing.

View Profile
February 07, 2012, 08:02:52 PM

"don't b scurred"

10% off at CampBX for LIFE:  https://campbx.com/main.php?r=C9a5izBQ5vq  ----  Authorized BitVoucher MEGA reseller (& BTC donations appreciated):  https://bitvoucher.co/affl/1HkvK8o8WWDpCTSQGnek7DH9gT1LWeV5s3/
LTC:  LRL6vb6XBRrEEifB73DiEiYZ9vbRy99H41  NMC:  NGb2spdTGpWj8THCPyCainaXenwDhAW1ZT
zby
Legendary

Activity: 1592
Merit: 1001

View Profile
February 07, 2012, 08:17:46 PM

Did you try to withdraw recently?  For me it was as impossible as before - I don't think Zhou has any special reserves for withdrawals now.  As for reserves for liquidations of shorts - this was implemented long time before the "big squeeze".  More probable for me is that people started withdrawing from bitcoinica - because they cannot use the funds there anyway.
gewure

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

[#][#][#]

View Profile
February 07, 2012, 08:20:02 PM

i told ya' it's meaningless Smiley
Technomage
Legendary

Activity: 2184
Merit: 1056

Affordable Physical Bitcoins - Denarium.com

View Profile WWW
February 07, 2012, 09:35:31 PM

+1

This is a good thing in some ways, for one it makes Bitcoin price more stable. It's not as easy for a "Bitcoinica bubble" to form. Price going up will me more legit from now on. Rallies will be smaller but on the other hand, long squeezes are not as devastating so it stabilizes the situation both ways.

Denarium closing sale discounts now up to 43%! Check out our products from here!
Crypt_Current

Activity: 686

Shame on everything; regret nothing.

View Profile
February 07, 2012, 11:32:38 PM

Did you try to withdraw recently?  For me it was as impossible as before - I don't think Zhou has any special reserves for withdrawals now.  As for reserves for liquidations of shorts - this was implemented long time before the "big squeeze".  More probable for me is that people started withdrawing from bitcoinica - because they cannot use the funds there anyway.

This is what im talking about.. everyone thinks its heresay, its STILL a problem..

The liquidity is a joke.. its not existent, hes too busy funding the big boys to manipulate us to mind us lil folk..

I withdrew USD as MtGox coupon twice today from Bitcoinica with no problem.  I drew down my position to where there's 0 margin and all profit.  No problems.  Easy as pie.  I don't understand why everyone doesn't use it.

10% off at CampBX for LIFE:  https://campbx.com/main.php?r=C9a5izBQ5vq  ----  Authorized BitVoucher MEGA reseller (& BTC donations appreciated):  https://bitvoucher.co/affl/1HkvK8o8WWDpCTSQGnek7DH9gT1LWeV5s3/
LTC:  LRL6vb6XBRrEEifB73DiEiYZ9vbRy99H41  NMC:  NGb2spdTGpWj8THCPyCainaXenwDhAW1ZT
Qoheleth
Legendary

Activity: 960
Merit: 1028

Spurn wild goose chases. Seek that which endures.

View Profile WWW
February 07, 2012, 11:49:05 PM

Wait wait wait.

Why would a margin broker use their reserves for liquidations and withdrawls? Reserves are for materializing positions; if a person is liquidating or withdrawing their money, it's the money in their account.

Or are you saying Bitcoinica used to mix reserves and client assets?

If there is something that will make Bitcoin succeed, it is growth of utility - greater quantity and variety of goods and services offered for BTC. If there is something that will make Bitcoin fail, it is the prevalence of users convinced that BTC is a magic box that will turn them into millionaires, and of the con-artists who have followed them here to devour them.
old_engineer

Activity: 387

View Profile
February 08, 2012, 02:36:19 AM

Wait wait wait.

Why would a margin broker use their reserves for liquidations and withdrawls? Reserves are for materializing positions; if a person is liquidating or withdrawing their money, it's the money in their account.

Or are you saying Bitcoinica used to mix reserves and client assets?
There's been no word of bitcoinica storing assets anywhere other than their Mt. Gox account.  I suppose they could have some bitcoins offline, or have some USD elsewhere, but I doubt it.

At one point, traders with short positions couldn't close out their shorts because there was no USD in the bitcoinica MtGox account to buy back btc, but now Zhou keeps at least some USD reserves so people can close their shorts.  I think that was around November IIRC, many months after going public with the system.  Oversight?  Nah...

Seems that there's a large enough market demand for leveraged trading that people continue to use Zhou's rinky-dink system for a lack of alternatives.  Any real entrant would see a flood of users; then again, the whole bitcoin economy lacks maturity.  Magic the gathering exchange?  Really?

Qoheleth
Legendary

Activity: 960
Merit: 1028

Spurn wild goose chases. Seek that which endures.

View Profile WWW
February 08, 2012, 04:29:10 AM

Any real entrant would see a flood of users; then again, the whole bitcoin economy lacks maturity.  Magic the gathering exchange?  Really?

I tend to agree. But I have to wonder, what is stopping a "real entrant"? If there is money to be made, a flood of users as you say, why isn't anyone stepping up to the plate? Fear? Legal issues? Or is it because the whole Bitcoin economy lacks maturity? I mean that seems like yet another chicken and egg problem. No "real entrant" will enter, adding maturity to the market, because the market is immature! Ha.

It seems like a "real entrant" could solidify his future in the market, and the market itself, simply by entering.

Or do we just have to wait for the current solutions to mature to the point where we no longer need "real entrants"?
Makes me wish I had a week to burn and a quarter grand to convert into reserve.

If there is something that will make Bitcoin succeed, it is growth of utility - greater quantity and variety of goods and services offered for BTC. If there is something that will make Bitcoin fail, it is the prevalence of users convinced that BTC is a magic box that will turn them into millionaires, and of the con-artists who have followed them here to devour them.
M4v3R

Activity: 607

View Profile
February 08, 2012, 08:08:17 AM

Yes, I did withdraw 1k BTC yesterday, it was "pending approval" for a while but eventually it went through.
Also, I remember precisely that during the squeeze people had trouble with liquidating their positions, and after it they fixed that (Zhou announced this somewhere).
zby
Legendary

View Profile
February 08, 2012, 09:40:14 AM

This is what im talking about.. everyone thinks its heresay, its STILL a problem..

The liquidity is a joke.. its not existent, hes too busy funding the big boys to manipulate us to mind us lil folk..

I withdrew USD as MtGox coupon twice today from Bitcoinica with no problem.  I drew down my position to where there's 0 margin and all profit.  No problems.  Easy as pie.  I don't understand why everyone doesn't use it.

I did try that - it was hanging in 'pending approval' state for a few days - before I resigned and exchanged it to BTC.  When exactly did you do your withdrawal?  Maybe there are times when they approve them quickly.
old_engineer

Activity: 387

View Profile
February 08, 2012, 10:46:02 AM

I did try that - it was hanging in 'pending approval' state for a few days - before I resigned and exchanged it to BTC.  When exactly did you do your withdrawal?  Maybe there are times when they approve them quickly.
After 2 days of waiting, I cancelled a $900 withdrawal and successfully (and immediately) processed three $300 withdrawals.  So there's some coding weirdness going on somewhere in there. (this was a few weeks ago, I don't know the situation now).
N12 (OP)
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1610
Merit: 1010

View Profile
February 08, 2012, 10:50:22 AM

I can confirm what zby said. When I withdrew a minor sum of BTC as well as USD (both MtGox codes), the USD got processed instantly while the Bitcoins took a while. This was while it showed * on buy, though and a few weeks ago as well.
N12 (OP)
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1610
Merit: 1010

View Profile
February 08, 2012, 03:26:03 PM

So we are back to where we were.

realnowhereman

Activity: 504
Merit: 502

View Profile
February 08, 2012, 03:59:59 PM

How could we not be?  Nothing has magically created more reserves for Bitcoinica.

1AAZ4xBHbiCr96nsZJ8jtPkSzsg1CqhwDa
zby
Legendary

View Profile
February 08, 2012, 04:17:26 PM

How could we not be?  Nothing has magically created more reserves for Bitcoinica.

Well - the sell to 5.3 could be a liquidation on bitcoinica - this would free some funds there.  But then it is also possible that the rally to 5.85 was fueled by those freed funds.
gewure

Activity: 364

[#][#][#]

View Profile
February 14, 2012, 04:59:26 AM

no more mr starfish
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: