Bitcoin Forum
September 06, 2024, 11:22:39 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.1 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: $800 into a build with second thoughts - Your philosophical opinion is requested  (Read 378 times)
coins_and_coins (OP)

Activity: 44
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 29, 2014, 02:45:43 AM
Last edit: May 29, 2014, 04:05:57 AM by coins_and_coins

(more like Your Financial/Philosophical/Techie opinion is requested)

It's been two years since my last PC build. I've since dove a little bit into alt-coins and have been trading them when money wasn't tight.

I figured I'd do another PC build and mine a few coin since I acquired a $180 PSU for $80 (just the stupid excuse I was looking for)

My PC is complete minus the GPU's. I planned on buying an R9 290(or x) or two, mine for a few months, then sell the GPUs but keep the other hardware. With the new ASICs though, I'm not sure what to do and so I am hoping for some insight. Is the ROI good enough on the R9 290's right now (factoring in their gaming potential as well) to use them for a few months then sell? I understand that they will likely go from ~$400 to ~$250 in a matter of months, which adds to my concern. I understand that AMD cards *can be* overpriced compared to NVidia cards due to gaming/mining vs strict gaming.

I'm ~$800 in right now

Hardware:

Case: Corsair 300R
PSU: Corsair RM1000
MoBo: Asus M5A99FX Pro R2.0
Processor: AMD FX-8350
GPU: NVidia GTX 550TI (shit compared to the rest of the hardware,  but I paid $48 for it to get me by Smiley)
RAM: 16Gb (8 x 2) Crucial Ballistix Elite 1866
SSD: Samsung 120Gb 840EVO
Monitor: Asus 23" LED VX238H monitor

Should I add an R9 290 to mine some coin? Perhaps add an awesome $300 NVidia card then sell it as a gaming rig? Ore, add an ASIC card and see where it goes? Maybe add nothing, enjoy my decent machine, collect the rebates, then sell in a years' time?

I understand that I will likely never get my ROI, but I'm ok with that since I love having a fast computer.

Your thoughts are appreciated!

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: