Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 12:13:35 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin on Ubuntu 11.04  (Read 24668 times)
walidzohair

Activity: 184
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 05, 2011, 03:52:46 PM

I dunno if it is me the unlucky one or if there is something wrong with my system .. but now after i deleted every thing in my .bitcoin folder except the wallet.dat .. when i run the program it is fine and trying to pull the block chain and every thing is OK

BUT

when i click on the sent tab it gives an error that says

An Assertion failed!

./src/comoon/evtloopcmn.cpp(755):asser "assert failure"
failed in Yield(): wxYield called recursivley

it just continue if i press continue

finally it is my thrid day and not being able to pull all the chain block yet .. is that normal ?

and here is the error i get when i try to compile with sudo make -f makefile.unix USE_UPNP=

obj/db.o: In function `CWalletDB::LoadWallet()':
/home/walid/Downloads/src/bitcoin-trunk/db.cpp:811: undefined reference to `fUseUPnP'
obj/db.o: In function `Unserialize<CDataStream>':
/home/walid/Downloads/src/bitcoin-trunk/serialize.h:136: undefined reference to `fUseUPnP'
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make: *** [bitcoin] Error 1

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"The nature of Bitcoin is such that once version 0.1 was released, the core design was set in stone for the rest of its lifetime." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
walidzohair

View Profile
May 05, 2011, 06:54:12 PM

any help ?
JackSparrow

Activity: 116
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 06, 2011, 06:27:03 AM

any help ?
Which Version are you using?
Matt Corallo

Activity: 755
Merit: 515

View Profile
May 06, 2011, 09:42:19 AM

and here is the error i get when i try to compile with sudo make -f makefile.unix USE_UPNP=

/home/walid/Downloads/src/bitcoin-trunk/db.cpp:811: undefined reference to `fUseUPnP'
/home/walid/Downloads/src/bitcoin-trunk/serialize.h:136: undefined reference to `fUseUPnP'
What compiler? ie gcc -v

Bitcoin Core, rust-lightning, http://bitcoinfibre.org etc.
PGP ID: 07DF 3E57 A548 CCFB 7530  7091 89BB B866 3E2E65CE
walidzohair

View Profile
May 07, 2011, 12:20:50 PM

What compiler? ie gcc -v

I have no idea i just type in the command and I am using the default with ubuntu natty
wolciph

Activity: 33
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 07, 2011, 11:10:59 PM
Last edit: May 15, 2011, 09:46:15 AM by wolciph

Here is a script that will do absolutely everything - including downloads - in order to get a compiled version of bitcoin working in Natty (with the GUI fixed of course): http://pastebin.com/JLxKKpuq
Actually, I'll even put it here directly:
Code:
#!/bin/bash
echo "DISCLAIMER: you are using this script at your own discretion! By typing 'c', you agree that you have read the script yourself and have understood it and that you will thus take full responsabilty in the eventuality that this script leads to any harm to you or your property. If you do not agree type 'n'"
read -n 1 r
[ "$r" = 'c' ] || exit 0

set -e

echo "You will be prompted to enter your password in order to install necessary dependencies."

sudo apt-get install build-essential libgtk2.0-dev libssl-dev libdb4.7-dev libdb4.7++-dev libboost-all-dev
sudo apt-get build-dep libwxgtk2.8-dev

mkdir bitcoin || true
cd bitcoin

[ -e wxWidgets.tar.gz ] || wget "http://biolpc22.york.ac.uk/pub/Daily_HEAD/wxWidgets.tar.gz"
[ -e wxWidgets ] || tar -xvzf wxWidgets.tar.gz
cd wxWidgets
./configure
make -j3
sudo make install
sudo ldconfig
cd ..

[ -e miniupnpc*.tar.gz ] || wget "http://miniupnp.tuxfamily.org/files/download.php?file=miniupnpc-1.5.tar.gz"
[ -e miniupnpc*/ ] || tar -xvzf *miniupnpc*.tar.gz
cd *miniupnpc*/
make
sudo make install
cd ..

#for some reason, github's certificate doesn't work:
[ -e bitcoin*.tar.gz ] || wget --no-check-certificate "https://www.github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/tarball/v0.3.21"
[ -e bitcoin*/ ] || tar -xvzf "v0.3.21"
cd bitcoin*/
make -f makefile.unix
make -f makefile.unix bitcoind
#optional:
strip bitcoin; strip bitcoind;
echo "Bitcoin is now compiled : '$PWD/bitcoin'"
echo "Launch bitcoin now? (y/n)"
read -n1 r
[[ "$r" = y ]] && ./bitcoin
cd ..
To run it: save it in your home folder as bitcoinfornatty.bash, open a terminal (ctrl+alt+t), type "bash ./bitcoinfornatty.bash", press enter (yeah, some people don't even get that you have to press enter) and READ THE DISCLAIMER.
Also, you agree that I will not be held responsible for any inconsistencies between my disclaimer and the amount of detail in my instructions.
Don't hesitate to report any problems.

EDIT: added lines:
Code:
make -f makefile.unix bitcoind
#optional:
strip bitcoin; strip bitcoind;
It will now build bitcoind also.
walidzohair

View Profile
May 10, 2011, 06:05:10 AM

Here is a script that will do absolutely everything - including downloads - in order to get a compiled version of bitcoin working in Natty (with the GUI fixed of course): http://pastebin.com/JLxKKpuq
Code:
#!/bin/bash
echo "DISCLAIMER: you are using this script at your own discretion! By typing 'c', you agree that you have read the script yourself and have understood it and that you will thus take full responsabilty in the eventuality that this script leads to any harm to you or your property. If you do not agree type 'n'"
read -n 1 r
[ "$r" = 'c' ] || exit 0

set -e

echo "You will be prompted to enter your password in order to install necessary dependencies."

sudo apt-get install build-essential libgtk2.0-dev libssl-dev libdb4.7-dev libdb4.7++-dev libboost-all-dev

mkdir bitcoin || true
cd bitcoin

[ -e wxWidgets.tar.gz ] || wget "http://biolpc22.york.ac.uk/pub/Daily_HEAD/wxWidgets.tar.gz"
cd wxWidgets
./configure
make -j3
sudo make install
sudo ldconfig
cd ..

[ -e miniupnpc*.tar.gz ] || wget "http://miniupnp.tuxfamily.org/files/download.php?file=miniupnpc-1.5.tar.gz"
cd *miniupnpc*/
make
sudo make install
cd ..

[ -e bitcoin*.tar.gz ] || wget --no-check-certificate "https://www.github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/tarball/v0.3.21"
cd bitcoin*/
make -f makefile.unix
#optional:
strip bitcoin
read -n1 r
cd ..
To run it: save it in your home folder as bitcoinfornatty.bash, open a terminal (ctrl+alt+t), type "bash ./bitcoinfornatty.bash", press enter (yeah, some people don't even get that you have to press enter) and READ THE DISCLAIMER.
Also, you agree that I will not be held responsible for any inconsistencies between my disclaimer and the amount of detail in my instructions.

Thanks a lot man for your time,

This what I call a true piece of work and help.

I will try it and post either way
kingbirdy

Activity: 1

View Profile
May 10, 2011, 09:07:43 PM

I got it to work for the most part, but eventually I get an error (after the programs are installed, but before it makes a bitcoin directory)
it says:

Code:
ERROR: Build failed. Please review the build log at /tmp/alsa-driver-linuxant.29315.log
dpkg: error processing alsa-driver-linuxant (--configure):
 subprocess installed post-installation script returned error exit status 2
Errors were encountered while processing:
 alsa-driver-linuxant
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)
tuxsoul

Activity: 40

View Profile WWW
May 12, 2011, 07:05:42 AM

Hi,

I think wxwidget is one big problem to bitcoin, why don't try using spesmilo gui for bitcoin ?, you can find it using the search command in the forum.

I will like create one package from spesmilo.

Greeting's.
freecoin

Activity: 30

View Profile
May 13, 2011, 06:23:13 AM
Last edit: May 14, 2011, 03:09:51 AM by freecoin

wolciph, thanks for the script; it worked!
I notice it installed to a 'user/bitcoin/bitcoin-bitcoin-12345e2' folder, that no 'daemon' folder was created, and with no bitcoind executable.  
When I use the "-server" option, I get a Warning about setting rpcpassword in the configuration file: /home/user/.bitcoin/bitcoin.conf' even though I did create that file.

I can't get it running in server mode.

EDIT: I got Bitcoin working in server mode by creating a 'bitcoin.conf' file within that 'bitcoin-bitcoin-12345e2' subfolder and then launching with this command: ./bitcoin -server -rpcuser=user -rpcpassword=pass

CPU mines at over 5 Mhash/s.  Now I will attempt to get a GPU miner going.

THANK YOU.
walidzohair

View Profile
May 15, 2011, 05:40:34 AM

Hi,

I think wxwidget is one big problem to bitcoin, why don't try using spesmilo gui for bitcoin ?, you can find it using the search command in the forum.

I will like create one package from spesmilo.

Greeting's.

Nope thanks for your efforts but this time i will stick to bitcoin client.
walidzohair

View Profile
May 15, 2011, 06:07:46 AM

Code:
#!/bin/bash
read -n 1 r
[ "$r" = 'c' ] || exit 0

set -e

mkdir bitcoin || true
cd bitcoin

cd wxWidgets
./configure
make -j3
sudo make install
sudo ldconfig
cd ..

cd *miniupnpc*/
make
sudo make install
cd ..

cd bitcoin*/
make -f makefile.unix
#optional:
strip bitcoin
read -n1 r
cd ..

Thanks a lot man for your time,

This what I call a true piece of work and help.

I will try it and post either way

did not work from first time and by the moment i discovered i need to bash it instead of sh it. i decided to go throw it manually and yet after a painful long compilation of the wx it works with an assertion error (as usual) .. i will give the other sp something trial but i will stick with the bitcoin Sad

If i ever try the sp somthing I will post back here too.
wolciph

Activity: 33

View Profile
May 15, 2011, 09:48:00 AM
Last edit: May 15, 2011, 10:11:58 AM by wolciph

I don't understand what your saying, Walidzohair. What's the "sp"? EDIT: oh right, spesmilo.
If you're having trouble, it may be because my script is fetching the very latest sources of wxwidgets. But I can't seem to find a complete archive of the daily snapshots. They only seem to keep them for 3 days so I can't link to one that is known to be functional.

Also, I edited my previous post so it would compile bitcoind too.
Xenland
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1003

I'm not just any shaman, I'm a Sha256man

View Profile
May 15, 2011, 09:15:36 PM

Mines working here (Ubuntu Natty fresh installed about 2 weeks ago) although i always open mine from the command line and leave it open(helps debugging and just a habit really) try opening from command line if it hasnt already been suggested.
freecoin

View Profile
May 17, 2011, 03:22:58 AM

OK I had a system lock-up necessitating a hard reset.  Now Bitcoin won't start:

EXCEPTION: 22DbRunRecoveryException       
   DbEnv::open: DB_RUNRECOVERY: Fatal error, run database recovery       
   bitcoin in AppInit()

Can I just delete and re-run the script? There was nothing in the /bitcoin folder I needed.  In fact I don't think it ever created a wallet.dat file
Gnaffel

Activity: 53

View Profile
May 17, 2011, 06:31:49 AM
Last edit: May 17, 2011, 08:56:17 AM by Gnaffel

OK I had a system lock-up necessitating a hard reset.  Now Bitcoin won't start:

EXCEPTION: 22DbRunRecoveryException      
   DbEnv::open: DB_RUNRECOVERY: Fatal error, run database recovery      
   bitcoin in AppInit()

Can I just delete and re-run the script? There was nothing in the /bitcoin folder I needed.  In fact I don't think it ever created a wallet.dat file

If you delete wallet.dat you lose all your bitcoins. You can delete everything in .bitcoin but NOT Wallet.dat and Bitcoin.conf
Matt Corallo

Activity: 755
Merit: 515

View Profile
May 17, 2011, 10:09:34 AM

Can I just delete and re-run the script? There was nothing in the /bitcoin folder I needed.  In fact I don't think it ever created a wallet.dat file
Yea, if you dont have any coins in your wallet.dat, just rm -r ~/.bitcoin and move on with it (though remember, that will delete all your coins so...)

Bitcoin Core, rust-lightning, http://bitcoinfibre.org etc.
PGP ID: 07DF 3E57 A548 CCFB 7530  7091 89BB B866 3E2E65CE
freecoin

View Profile
May 18, 2011, 03:26:30 AM

deleted /bitcoin folder (with its subfolders) and re-installed.  Same error.

I will say that something just didn't seem right about the initial Bitcoin install.  It never created a wallet.dat file, I searched high and low, even used the Ubuntu file search.  I thought, well maybe it's only created on first use.  So I sent 0.01 BTC from my windows box to Ubuntu.  Never arrived.  That was about the time of the freeze-up too.  Now I've got a 0/unconfirmed transaction in my windows Bitcoin (whatever becomes of those orphaned trans?).
omichalek

Activity: 1

View Profile
June 10, 2011, 12:47:55 PM

I think maybe it is time to switch from wxWidgets to Qt?
+1
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  

Jump to: