Bitcoin Forum
May 10, 2024, 03:45:09 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Just for complete shits and giggles......  (Read 1614 times)
yochdog (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2044
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 07, 2012, 10:27:53 PM

I am mining in the cloud.  Set up a EC2 instance with 2 Tesla GPU's.

Pulling 120 MH/s.

I know this is losing money, but I just wanted to set it up for fun.  Pretty cool stuff. 

I am a trusted trader!  Ask Inaba, Luo Demin, Vanderbleek, Sannyasi, Episking, Miner99er, Isepick, Amazingrando, Cablez, ColdHardMetal, Dextryn, MB300sd, Robocoder, gnar1ta$ and many others!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The forum was founded in 2009 by Satoshi and Sirius. It replaced a SourceForge forum.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
reg

Activity: 463
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 07, 2012, 10:44:06 PM

please explain the technical aspects as well as the longer term goals of this statement- like I am 5. reg.
rjk

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

1ngldh

View Profile
February 07, 2012, 11:22:45 PM

I am mining in the cloud.  Set up a EC2 instance with 2 Tesla GPU's.

Pulling 120 MH/s.

I know this is losing money, but I just wanted to set it up for fun.  Pretty cool stuff. 
Yeah I tried that once, I was forced to use Windows at that point, have they made *nix variants available for use with the CUDA apps?

I also had several dozen high-CPU low-RAM instances running for litecoin mining once - that was a few weeks before they instituted the CPU usage tiers for the basic plans Grin

Mining Rig Extraordinaire - the Trenton BPX6806 18-slot PCIe backplane [PICS] Dead project is dead, all hail the coming of the mighty ASIC!
jimbobway
Legendary

Activity: 1304
Merit: 1014

View Profile
February 07, 2012, 11:43:03 PM

Nice.  Well, whoever builds a supercomputer that uses Radeon's instead of Teslas will probably see a surge of new users.  120MH/s is not much for 2 highly expensive Teslas.  I am pulling 380Mh/s with my Radeon 6000 series on my home computer.
yochdog (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2044
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 08, 2012, 12:27:38 AM

Nice.  Well, whoever builds a supercomputer that uses Radeon's instead of Teslas will probably see a surge of new users.  120MH/s is not much for 2 highly expensive Teslas.  I am pulling 380Mh/s with my Radeon 6000 series on my home computer.

so true.  I imagine if Amazon ever offers Radeon clusters, there will be a lot of interested users. 

I am a trusted trader!  Ask Inaba, Luo Demin, Vanderbleek, Sannyasi, Episking, Miner99er, Isepick, Amazingrando, Cablez, ColdHardMetal, Dextryn, MB300sd, Robocoder, gnar1ta$ and many others!
btc_artist

Activity: 154
Merit: 101

Bitcoin!

View Profile WWW
February 08, 2012, 12:40:55 AM

I imagine if Amazon ever offers Radeon clusters, there will be a lot of interested users. 
Has anyone contacted Amazon customer service to ask about this?

BTC: 1CDCLDBHbAzHyYUkk1wYHPYmrtDZNhk8zf
LTC: LMS7SqZJnqzxo76iDSEua33WCyYZdjaQoE
BkkCoins

Activity: 784
Merit: 1009

firstbits:1MinerQ

View Profile WWW
February 08, 2012, 01:13:41 AM

so true.  I imagine if Amazon ever offers Radeon clusters, there will be a lot of interested users. 
I don't think they could offer them at anywhere near a profitable mining price.
Even a GPU Spot Instance right now is 0.665/hour = $479/month. I doubt they would cut that price too much for a Radeon version. Even at Medium CPU Instance 0.054 that's $39/month.

Since Amazon is geared up for investing in infrastructure they would be better to invest in FPGA clusters of 100+ per CPU and then offer Virtual Mining contracts per hour. But since they could just collect the coin themselves why bother? Maybe their smartest move would be sticking Radeons in all their unused resources and mine when not in use. But I doubt they would ever do that.

Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
February 08, 2012, 02:13:54 AM

I don't think they could offer them at anywhere near a profitable mining price.
Even a GPU Spot Instance right now is 0.665/hour = $479/month. I doubt they would cut that price too much for a Radeon version. Even at Medium CPU Instance 0.054 that's $39/month.

Since Amazon is geared up for investing in infrastructure they would be better to invest in FPGA clusters of 100+ per CPU and then offer Virtual Mining contracts per hour. But since they could just collect the coin themselves why bother? Maybe their smartest move would be sticking Radeons in all their unused resources and mine when not in use. But I doubt they would ever do that.

But since they could just collect the coin themselves why bother?

I don't think so. A lumber company's main business is harvesting wood, not making furniture, although there's a handsome mark-up on furniture, it's just not their forte. Amazon can easily set this up at a price point that would make a miner consider the option. As for a speculative miner, the option would be a no-brainer. A slight lost at the onset, but hold until the exchange rate surpasses the break even point or beyond.

~Bruno~
BkkCoins

Activity: 784
Merit: 1009

firstbits:1MinerQ

View Profile WWW
February 08, 2012, 02:35:58 AM

If they offered "Miner" spot instances then they'd probably get bid up to a price where it's worth while for both miners and Amazon. I could see that being possible. I'm just not sure the MBA type business planners would be willing to make the investment to make it go. I think the overhead (per GPU) Amazon carries would be substantially more than your typical miner.

Don't get me wrong - I'd love to see them offer this. I'm already using EC2 and familiar enough with using it that I could have a mining farm up as soon as they did. Those guys are smart though - they would realize that mining for themselves is only a trivial effort more (running an AMI)  than offering the machines to others.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: