Bitcoin Forum
April 18, 2024, 12:48:09 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin Wallet all the time catching up and eating 100%CPU (FIXED !!)  (Read 6716 times)
LoWang (OP)

Activity: 147
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 07, 2012, 01:46:15 PM
Last edit: February 09, 2012, 10:16:08 PM by LoWang

Hello, please allow me to write topics. I really need some tech support.
And I also think it would be really nice if you did not make fools of people and let them know that they need to write (beg...) here before they can actually ask something Wink
After registration I was thrown immediatelly into forum with no instructions and nothing in the email so tell me how could I know that I need to go to some newbie section before I can write anywhere else?
And yes I was looking for some FAQ or help, but there is no information about this. Just an instructions how to start a new topic by clicking a button New topic which is not there :-]
Thank you
The Bitcoin network protocol was designed to be extremely flexible. It can be used to create timed transactions, escrow transactions, multi-signature transactions, etc. The current features of the client only hint at what will be possible in the future.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Joshwaa

Activity: 497
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 07, 2012, 02:10:52 PM

Hello, please allow me to write topics. I really need some tech support.
And I also think it would be really nice if you did not make fools of people and let them know that they need to write (beg...) here before they can actually ask something Wink
After registration I was thrown immediatelly into forum with no instructions and nothing in the email so tell me how could I know that I need to go to some newbie section before I can write anywhere else?
And yes I was looking for some FAQ or help, but there is no information about this. Just an instructions how to start a new topic by clicking a button New topic which is not there :-]
Thank you

What help do you need?

Like what I said : 1JosHWaA2GywdZo9pmGLNJ5XSt8j7nzNiF
Don't like what I said : 1FuckU1u89U9nBKQu4rCHz16uF4RhpSTV
LoWang (OP)

View Profile
February 07, 2012, 03:22:34 PM

OK I think it would fit much better in a different section but as you wish, we can talk about it here.
I want to get some experience with BitCoin and try mining either by joining some pool or by using more pcs on my own, so I just installed Bitcoin Wallet and noticed it behaves strangely. The first database loading took about 8 hours maybe (which is crazy and I don't think it is normal) and during that time I put my laptop to standby several times but it looked like it continues. Unfortunatelly when it was about to reach 100% the application crashed. I think it was because of the interruptions by standby. So I started it again and this time it was completed in about an hour (maybe because of different ISP I was connected to). But it does not really work even after that - it constantly says "catching up" and eats 100% of CPU power but the number of downloaded blocks is the same as is on bitcoincharts, so I don't have a clue what it is doing. There are no timestamps in debug.log so I don't know if I can find something there.
So about an hour ago I exited bitcoin-qt which was running for about 5hours and ate all my CPU power for nothing. Now I started it again and it does the same: catching up and eating 100% CPU. I doubt this is normal. So I thank you in advance for your help.
Joshwaa

View Profile
February 07, 2012, 03:50:59 PM

OK I think it would fit much better in a different section but as you wish, we can talk about it here.
I want to get some experience with BitCoin and try mining either by joining some pool or by using more pcs on my own, so I just installed Bitcoin Wallet and noticed it behaves strangely. The first database loading took about 8 hours maybe (which is crazy and I don't think it is normal) and during that time I put my laptop to standby several times but it looked like it continues. Unfortunatelly when it was about to reach 100% the application crashed. I think it was because of the interruptions by standby. So I started it again and this time it was completed in about an hour (maybe because of different ISP I was connected to). But it does not really work even after that - it constantly says "catching up" and eats 100% of CPU power but the number of downloaded blocks is the same as is on bitcoincharts, so I don't have a clue what it is doing. There are no timestamps in debug.log so I don't know if I can find something there.
So about an hour ago I exited bitcoin-qt which was running for about 5hours and ate all my CPU power for nothing. Now I started it again and it does the same: catching up and eating 100% CPU. I doubt this is normal. So I thank you in advance for your help.

Until your wallet catches up with the current chain it will sit there and run till it completes. As for the 100% CPU what cpu do you have?

LoWang (OP)

View Profile
February 07, 2012, 04:48:19 PM

OK so do you think this is normal? This is already like 20minutes and still the same. Only the downloaded blocks number is changing but it is still the same as on bitcoincharts.
This is an XP machine but it does the same on my Win7 laptop.
Joshwaa

View Profile
February 07, 2012, 06:12:15 PM

Yea if you are caught up on the chain you wallet really should not us much CPU cycles. Ram yes not CPU though. I think you have some kind of config error or maybe Malware.

LoWang (OP)

View Profile
February 08, 2012, 08:48:54 AM

aha I see this was moved into a new thread, but I doubt that those who can help me regularly check newbies section...:-] Please whitelist me and move it somewhere else. Thanks
Wandering Albatross

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 08, 2012, 07:00:56 PM

Looks like you may have either a network issue or a disk issue. Make sure that your blk.dat file isn't fragmented. How much space do you have on your HD? What's your net traffic look like?

BTC: 1JgPAC8RVeh7RXqzmeL8xt3fvYahRXL3fP
LoWang (OP)

View Profile
February 08, 2012, 08:39:38 PM

as I already said I tested it on two different computers and different OSes and it does the same. Now I am connected to a different ISP and it does the same!
Downloads all the new blocks while using the CPU cores just around 50%. Then when thew downloaded blocks reaches the current number of blocks it starts using CPU by 100% and keeps rotating the arrow circle and saying "catching up".
And now what the heck: Downloaded blocks is bigger by one then the value on bitcoincharts! So it seems I have one bonus block just for me :-]

Anybody using Windows 7 or XP who could tell me how it behaves for him?
LoWang (OP)

View Profile
February 08, 2012, 08:51:44 PM

Also the "minimize on close" option does not work and the program still just goes to tray instead of exiting when this option is unchecked.
Wandering Albatross

View Profile
February 08, 2012, 08:54:51 PM

What's ccapp.exe? Is that anti-virus stuff?  What version bitcoin? Have you filed a bug report yet?

LoWang (OP)

View Profile
February 08, 2012, 09:04:14 PM

ccApp is the symantec antivirus.
Bug report? Are you kidding? :-) I don't have a clue what and where it is. I just registered to this forum hoping to get some help but it took me a long time until I found out that I can write only to newbies section because it is written nowhere...
I will try to run it on a third machine if it will do the same... Maybe there was some problem with the generated files because I have copied them on the second machine and then ran the Wallet, so on this third I will start from fresh.
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
February 08, 2012, 09:10:29 PM

I have never seen 100% bitcoin consume 100% cpu.   If you want to get started mining while someone figures this out you might want to check out strongcoin.  

It is an online wallet but the private keys are encrypted so there is nothing for them to lose or steal.  The wallet decrypts keys locally (in javascript) as needed.  The server never retains anything but encrypted keys.
https://strongcoin.com/

Maybe it will help with your frustration and get you up and running.

BTW: Lots of experienced users scan the newbie forums daily. Smiley
bitcoinsarefun

Activity: 98

View Profile
February 08, 2012, 09:49:19 PM

What version of bitcoin-qt are you running? Can you post a screenshot of Help-> About

Also, are you using the same installer on each machine that you tried bitcoin-qt on?
LoWang (OP)

View Profile
February 08, 2012, 11:38:08 PM

The latest version of course. Are there any other available? I am now waiting for the third machine to complete first download and it seems it will take the whole night here in GMT +1 at least Smiley So in the morning I will see if its any different
Wandering Albatross

View Profile
February 08, 2012, 11:54:59 PM

Ok, you're on a super slow connection, like a modem it seems. If you can download the software you should be able to figure out how to file a bug report. It's all on bitcoin.org. You may also see a solution for your problem.

Cerevisae

Activity: 16
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 09, 2012, 11:46:16 AM

I just wanted to share with you all my first time bitcoin experience. After I installed the bitcoin software, it takes me about 13 hours to synchronise all the blocks! Really a long waiting though!
bitcoinsarefun

Activity: 98

View Profile
February 09, 2012, 01:23:58 PM

ugh, the blockchain is around 1.25 GB on my disk - this will take a considerable amount of time to download over a shitty connection.

I always forget, not everyone has highspeed internet ...
deepceleron
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1025

View Profile WWW
February 09, 2012, 08:00:08 PM

Ok, you're on a super slow connection, like a modem it seems. If you can download the software you should be able to figure out how to file a bug report. It's all on bitcoin.org. You may also see a solution for your problem.

It doesn't take a slow connection for Bitcoin to take many hours to download all blocks. The blockchain is bigger than an average Netflix movie, plus the CPU is used validating every block as you download them. Consider also that you are downloading from other Bitcoin users on the P2P network, their upload speed also matters, and upload is usually significantly less than download on consumer broadband.

If you aren't a computer noob, you can follow these instructions to directly download the blockchain from a high-speed Internet host (mine).
LoWang (OP)

View Profile
February 09, 2012, 10:14:26 PM

The connection speed really does not matter because it is used very little. Just check windows task manager / networks and you will see a very low line graph.
And the connection I used to download it is really not shitty Wink

I have actually fixed my original problem now. The files have been somehow corrupted, so I deleted it and let it download again (and yes it took like half a day at least!) and now it works and a Wallet runs without eating CPU power. But it is still "catching up" and the arrows are always rotating even when the number of downloaded blocks is bigger by one then bitcoincharts says Shocked So I hope now I can finally start with some mining...
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: