Bitcoin Forum
May 24, 2024, 10:14:01 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: All this good news and yet the price doesn't budge  (Read 1864 times)
gentlemand
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 3013

Welt Am Draht

View Profile
May 29, 2014, 11:17:48 PM

The market is reacting badly to rumors of Bitstamp's impending collapse.

Merchant adoption and that sort of thing is priced in already.

I desperately hope that Bitstamp will not collapse,  but if it did, is it similar sized to Mt Gox, or bigger or smaller? I fear it would be the end for Bitcoin.

I think it's bigger than Gox was when it popped. I don't think there are any plans for it to collapse. 'Proper' exchanges are just around the corner in the US. If it can carry on infuriating customers for a few more months then everything'll be fine.
Wandererfromthenorth

Activity: 742
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 29, 2014, 11:21:52 PM

It's a fallacy to believe that the bitcoin price is determined by fundamentals.
Fucking This ^^^
pinksheep

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 29, 2014, 11:23:16 PM

I desperately hope that Bitstamp will not collapse,  but if it did, is it similar sized to Mt Gox, or bigger or smaller? I fear it would be the end for Bitcoin.

I think it's bigger than Gox was when it popped. I don't think there are any plans for it to collapse. 'Proper' exchanges are just around the corner in the US. If it can carry on infuriating customers for a few more months then everything'll be fine.

So when these 'proper' exchanges come along, will Bitstamp etc cease to exist, or at least become less popular?

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
PRIMEDICE
The Premier Bitcoin Gambling Experience @PrimeDice
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
Torque
Legendary

Activity: 3570
Merit: 5043

View Profile
May 29, 2014, 11:25:32 PM

I desperately hope that Bitstamp will not collapse,  but if it did, is it similar sized to Mt Gox, or bigger or smaller? I fear it would be the end for Bitcoin.

Impending collapse, you say?  A world leading exchange that not only imposes self-audits from 3rd parties every quarter, but also actively encourages other exchanges to do the same?

Ok.
DannyElfman

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 29, 2014, 11:27:35 PM

still, i can't say i *trust* bitstamp to be competent. it's hard to trust any companies who have only been around a couple years, especially in such an unregulated environment.

This spot for rent.
pinksheep

View Profile
May 29, 2014, 11:28:03 PM

I desperately hope that Bitstamp will not collapse,  but if it did, is it similar sized to Mt Gox, or bigger or smaller? I fear it would be the end for Bitcoin.

Impending collapse, you say?  A world leading exchange that not only imposes self-audits from 3rd parties every quarter, but also actively encourages other exchanges to do the same?

Ok.

It wasn't me that said it; I'm only quoting what somebody else said earlier in the thread - and desperately hoping it isn't true.

PRIMEDICE
exocytosis

Activity: 476

View Profile
May 29, 2014, 11:31:30 PM

Ok.

I'm gonna quote myself, from earlier in this thread:

Notice that Mike Hearn, who did the last "audit", clearly stated that it was not an audit. He said the only thing he could confirm, was that Bitstamp still held around 189k BTC of their customers' funds. That's it.

And why should we trust him anyway? Oh, yeah, because he's from the Bitcoin Foundation, like Saint Mark Karpeles. Everyone in the Bitcoin Foundation are trustworthy, of course. They're incapable of doing evil.

And btw, they didn't show him (or anyone else) their fiat reserves. (If they have any left.) I wonder why ...   Roll Eyes
pinksheep

View Profile
May 29, 2014, 11:34:46 PM

Would BTC survive such a collapse if it were to happen?

PRIMEDICE
Torque
Legendary

Activity: 3570
Merit: 5043

View Profile
May 29, 2014, 11:37:07 PM

Ok.

Notice that Mike Hearn, who did the last "audit", clearly stated that it was not an audit. He said the only thing he could confirm, was that Bitstamp still held around 189k BTC of their customers' funds. That's it.

And why should we trust him anyway? Oh, yeah, because he's from the Bitcoin Foundation, like Saint Mark Karpeles. Everyone in the Bitcoin Foundation are trustworthy, of course. They're incapable of doing evil.

And btw, they didn't show him (or anyone else) their fiat reserves. (If they have any left.) I wonder why ...   Roll Eyes

Yeah, saw that you're a newbish account here, and the majority of your thread responses are trollish and full of doom.  Guessing that you are a troll day trader.

Welcome to ignore.
bitcoinsrus

Activity: 518

View Profile
May 29, 2014, 11:37:58 PM

Well, most of the bitcoins are not on exchanges (although the mt gox exchanges did have quite a bit). Probably a dip and then recovery like it did with gox.
exocytosis

Activity: 476

View Profile
May 29, 2014, 11:56:28 PM

Yes.
ShameOnYou

Activity: 238

View Profile
May 30, 2014, 12:16:26 AM

Ok.

Yeah, saw that you're a newbish account here, and the majority of your thread responses are trollish and full of doom.  Guessing that you are a troll day trader.

Welcome to ignore.

Without addressing anything else, you're not really making a point here. You're just using ad hominem and attacking him personally rather than responding to what he said. So what of his comments on the "audit"?
gentlemand
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 3013

Welt Am Draht

View Profile
May 30, 2014, 12:20:16 AM

So when these 'proper' exchanges come along, will Bitstamp etc cease to exist, or at least become less popular?

I assume they would either have to massively step up their game to match any new players or would slowly fade away. I'd certainly be a lot happier leaving large chunks of money in a place with rock solid transparency and clear cut legal comebacks if they did go tits up.
ShameOnYou

Activity: 238

View Profile
May 30, 2014, 12:22:43 AM

I assume they would either have to massively step up their game to match any new players or would slowly fade away.

I'd second the latter point. I think when we get professional, regulated exchanges that are backed by companies that have been in the financial industry for decades at the least, Stamp et al will just bleed market share perpetually. I think there is zero chance they will be able to compete.
TERA

Activity: 728

View Profile
May 30, 2014, 12:32:38 AM

OP are you blind? It rallied 30% in the past week and is up 70% from the bottom
protokol
Legendary

Activity: 1188
Merit: 1016

View Profile
May 30, 2014, 07:39:32 PM

Yes, I truly expected it to go up this week, so I rushed to open a leveraged long position on Monday at $575 (BTCE [facepalm]). Unfortunately, the position will be automatically closed tomorrow evening, so it better fucking go up a bit in the next 24hrs or I'll lose quite a lot of money haha!

I'm such a shit trader... In hindsight the volume is so low, that I should never have rushed into it, minimal support for the rally of last week. I suck.

At least I'm hodling real BTC, none of that CFD shite  Smiley

Wandererfromthenorth

Activity: 742

View Profile
May 30, 2014, 07:44:29 PM

Yes, I truly expected it to go up this week, so I rushed to open a leveraged long position on Monday at $575 (BTCE [facepalm]). Unfortunately, the position will be automatically closed tomorrow evening, so it better fucking go up a bit in the next 24hrs or I'll lose quite a lot of money haha!

I'm such a shit trader... In hindsight the volume is so low, that I should never have rushed into it, minimal support for the rally of last week. I suck.

At least I'm hodling real BTC, none of that CFD shite  Smiley

hahahah    Grin
I suggest you stop trading on BTC-e and you come to Bitfinex for leveraged trading, much better, and your positions don't get closed after a few days like that Grin
Seriously, oh and the owners are much more trustworthy than the shady BTC-E  Grin
protokol
Legendary

Activity: 1188
Merit: 1016

View Profile
May 30, 2014, 07:54:43 PM

At least I'm hodling real BTC, none of that CFD shite  Smiley

hahahah  I suggest you stop trading on BTC-e and you come to Bitfinex for leveraged trading, much better, and your positions don't get closed after a few days like that Grin
Seriously, oh and the owners are much more trustworthy than the shady BTC-E  Grin

Yeah, I've been meaning to check out Bitfinex, but I'm much more comfortable trading dirty fiat than risking my precious BTC haha (I've been using Avatrade, who use BTCe price in their BTC instrument. Risky, but their 20:1 leverage can be very lucrative). Of course I could just buy more BTC to use on Bitfinex...

I do need to find a fiat broker with better BTC options really, I'm gonna run out of luck sooner or later...
Syke
Legendary

Activity: 3878
Merit: 1193

View Profile
May 30, 2014, 09:11:29 PM

And btw, they didn't show him (or anyone else) their fiat reserves. (If they have any left.) I wonder why ...  Roll Eyes

Probably because they just did a 3rd party audit 6 months ago.

https://www.bitstamp.net/s/documents/Firestartr_DD_Letter_for_Bitstamp.pdf

You can't expect a company to release multiple audits per year.

Buy & Hold
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: