Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 11:11:19 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Pay what you want for 16GB extra Dropbox space (18GB total)  (Read 15586 times)
fromheten

Activity: 30
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 03, 2012, 03:25:34 PM

Worked like a charm! PM'ed OP and got a unique address, he was very friendly and nice. Paid .5 btc. Got some dropbox space.

+++ would buy again Wink

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Unlike traditional banking where clients have only a few account numbers, with Bitcoin people can create an unlimited number of accounts (addresses). This can be used to easily track payments, and it improves anonymity.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
arsenische
Legendary

Activity: 1199
Merit: 1012

View Profile
March 03, 2012, 10:34:32 PM

I believe it is a useful service for the end user, but it is controversial: Dropbox gives free extra space for promotion, not for using bots.

Even though I'd like to have 8Gb of space for free, I wouldn't use this service. It is like buying the stolen storage.

However I admire your technical skills and abilities if they allowed you to automate dropbox storage expansion.

film2240
Legendary

Activity: 1022
Merit: 1000

Freelance videographer

View Profile WWW
March 03, 2012, 11:01:22 PM

I believe it is a useful service for the end user, but it is controversial: Dropbox gives free extra space for promotion, not for using bots.

Even though I'd like to have 8Gb of space for free, I wouldn't use this service. It is like buying the stolen storage.

However I admire your technical skills and abilities if they allowed you to automate dropbox storage expansion.

I love this service.OP is reliable,well mannered (nice) , and service delivers what it promises.Also OP never rips you off so you know you're dealing with someone reputable. As to the 'stealing' point,let me put it to you this way,you can't 'steal' a free gift (which in this case is free storage from refferals.). You are just paying for someone to use up those refferals that were given to you freely anyway (from your refferal links) so I really don't see that 'stealing' at all.

[This signature is available for rent.BTC/ETH/LTC or £50 equivalent a month]
arsenische
Legendary

View Profile
March 03, 2012, 11:25:02 PM

As to the 'stealing' point,let me put it to you this way,you can't 'steal' a free gift (which in this case is free storage from refferals.). You are just paying for someone to use up those refferals that were given to you freely anyway (from your refferal links) so I really don't see that 'stealing' at all.

Does everybody agree with that?

It is not really free. It is a form of lifetime reward for attracted customers.

Dropbox says: "Invite your friends to Dropbox! For every friend who joins and installs Dropbox, we'll give you both 250 MB of bonus space (up to a limit of 8 GB)!"

But here you don't do it, you just pay to a nice person who tricks Dropbox.

PS: or am I misunderstanding something?

film2240
Legendary

Activity: 1022
Merit: 1000

Freelance videographer

View Profile WWW
March 03, 2012, 11:43:20 PM

As to the 'stealing' point,let me put it to you this way,you can't 'steal' a free gift (which in this case is free storage from refferals.). You are just paying for someone to use up those refferals that were given to you freely anyway (from your refferal links) so I really don't see that 'stealing' at all.

Does everybody agree with that?

It is not really free. It is a form of lifetime reward for attracted customers.

Dropbox says: "Invite your friends to Dropbox! For every friend who joins and installs Dropbox, we'll give you both 250 MB of bonus space (up to a limit of 8 GB)!"

But here you don't do it, you just pay to a nice person who tricks Dropbox.

PS: or am I misunderstanding something?

I know that Dropbox gives you a chance for refferals in the hope of repeat business. However is it or is it not free at the point of use? (like in UK,NHS health care is free at point of use, but is funded by tax payers including myself as I live in UK).This is free at the point of use (even though Dropbox spends their time and resources in making this possible in th ehope of repeat long term business) which is why I say that you can't steal a free gift. Obviously there is no such thing as something for nothing.I merely focused on the fact that this is free at the point of use and therefore you can't 'steal' something that's free for you to use at the point of use.

arsenische
Legendary

View Profile
March 03, 2012, 11:54:25 PM

I know that Dropbox gives you a chance for refferals in the hope of repeat business. However is it or is it not free at the point of use?

I don't think it is free, since Dropbox doesn't just give away extra storage. It offers extra storage in exchange for your marketing services (= inviting friends).

If it was free, everybody would have at least 8Gb at Dropbox, and the system creatively developed by the OP would not exist.

moredropbox (OP)

Activity: 48

View Profile
March 04, 2012, 12:02:19 AM

Hello :-)

Here's how I think about it.

While I am exploiting the system, dropbox really don't care that much. With services like box.net now offering 50GB (albeit it is a somewhat different service), it would be stupid of dropbox to alienate users for any reason (like zealously hunting people who just want more of their service). They are most definitely the best service right now, but all that could change tomorrow, or a week from now - all their efforts are put into making sure it stays a good service. There are a ton of rather simple and easy ways to make it much harder to trick the system - but they really just want the best user experience possible, so as an example,  adding captcha's to their signup pages, to defer people like me, simply is not an option. I applaud them for being so focused on the important things.

My point is, the last thing they want to do is fight their users. Even those who bend the rules.

Everything these days has to be black and white. I refuse to look at the world that way.

I'm super psyched that I'm able to improve the experience of an already awesome service. That's part of the reason I don't charge a fixed amount. I'm not here to rip anyone off. The main mission is to get everyone that extra space they deserve ;-) I would probably do this for free given no other option, but on the other hand, it's a way for people to show a little appreciation, as well as a huge motivational booster for me.

In the end, I do understand why some might frown slightly, weight the risks, and opt-out.
fromheten

Activity: 30

View Profile
March 04, 2012, 10:56:44 AM

Hello :-)

Here's how I think about it.

While I am exploiting the system, dropbox really don't care that much. With services like box.net now offering 50GB (albeit it is a somewhat different service), it would be stupid of dropbox to alienate users for any reason (like zealously hunting people who just want more of their service). They are most definitely the best service right now, but all that could change tomorrow, or a week from now - all their efforts are put into making sure it stays a good service. There are a ton of rather simple and easy ways to make it much harder to trick the system - but they really just want the best user experience possible, so as an example,  adding captcha's to their signup pages, to defer people like me, simply is not an option. I applaud them for being so focused on the important things.

My point is, the last thing they want to do is fight their users. Even those who bend the rules.

Everything these days has to be black and white. I refuse to look at the world that way.

I'm super psyched that I'm able to improve the experience of an already awesome service. That's part of the reason I don't charge a fixed amount. I'm not here to rip anyone off. The main mission is to get everyone that extra space they deserve ;-) I would probably do this for free given no other option, but on the other hand, it's a way for people to show a little appreciation, as well as a huge motivational booster for me.

In the end, I do understand why some might frown slightly, weight the risks, and opt-out.

Well, this is kind of black and white. Sorry moredropbox, as much as you are a super-nice person, we all know that this is not the way Dropbox meant. They sell storage for money, and they "buy" customers and pay in storage. That is the way we should look at this. If we sell them a customer (refer a friend) they reward us with storage, just like any other transaction.

And what we are doing is (a very small and insignificant) fraud where we pay moredropbox to sell Dropbox made up customers. Conclution: it's not really right, but what the heck, it's really nice!

Also, you don't wanna ruin your day but there are actually people who trade very much more bad things with bitcoins. There are people who trade dangerous drugs and weapons, so, we should argue with them instead of this.
moredropbox (OP)

View Profile
March 04, 2012, 11:51:12 AM

Well, this is kind of black and white. Sorry moredropbox, as much as you are a super-nice person, we all know that this is not the way Dropbox meant. They sell storage for money, and they "buy" customers and pay in storage. That is the way we should look at this. If we sell them a customer (refer a friend) they reward us with storage, just like any other transaction.

Some things are easier to put in black and white. I agree this is one of them. I'm just saying you could look at it in shades of gray and ask "who am i really hurting" - dropbox sure, but by how much? It has to be miniscule. The "positive contributions" to users and me, weigh much more than the negative to dropbox, in my opinion. Again, if you really wanna put it in black and white, sure, its as dark as any black hole in the universe :-)

moredropbox (OP)

View Profile
March 14, 2012, 09:56:31 PM

It's possible to get 16GB instead of 8GB extra space, You'll need an .edu email (seperate from your db account email) that you enter into https://dropbox.com/. I don't have any of those to give away. Through google it seems like it should be possible to sign up some places to get one. If anyone knows of an easy way, please share with the class ;-). Any referral space you got before you entered the email will be doubled as well. Also other domains from different university/college/highschool domains may work too. Alternatively, dropboxexpander is selling his own line of dropbox "products" at https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=68059.0 including .edu emails.
schnell

Activity: 266
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 15, 2012, 06:26:08 AM

I had a .edu already from my uni Cheesy
moredropbox (OP)

View Profile
March 26, 2012, 11:18:01 PM

I was asked in PM if I am still doing this, and the answer is; yes, service is still available for anyone interested.
moredropbox (OP)

View Profile
April 04, 2012, 09:45:09 PM

Good News Everyone! It seems like everyone gets 16GB from referrals now! It should be retroactively!

http://www.redmondpie.com/dropbox-now-offering-up-to-16gb-of-free-storage-just-by-referring-others-500mb-per-refer/

Best
moredropbox
chiropteran

Activity: 348
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
April 05, 2012, 03:47:04 PM

Excellent service, thank you.  Started receiving referrals before my payment was even confirmed.  Easy transaction Smiley

moredropbox (OP)

View Profile
April 12, 2012, 07:43:05 AM

Thanks for the feedback everyone who PM'ed me or gave a shoutout!

I just want to plug that if you want to do business through bitmit.net (with escrow), you are welcome to "negotiate a price" with me after buying the listed item (at ~1btc). The system does not care how much has actually been transferred in the transaction.

So to reiterate, you can "pay what you want" on bitmit.net as well, by "buying" the listed item at 1btc.

Cheers!

moredropbox (OP)

View Profile
April 30, 2012, 01:44:12 PM

All the links in the #1 post was broken. Fixed.
UD98

Activity: 19

View Profile
May 03, 2012, 10:32:24 PM

I am unsure of the best way to pair your payment with the service, though I suppose you could send me an obscure amount, like 1.04818459 in a PM and on to my wallet.

you do realize that ANY NOOB can see the transactions right? https://bitcointalk.org/annoyance.php
moredropbox (OP)

View Profile
May 04, 2012, 08:17:42 AM
Last edit: May 04, 2012, 08:50:28 AM by moredropbox

I am unsure of the best way to pair your payment with the service, though I suppose you could send me an obscure amount, like 1.04818459 in a PM and on to my wallet.

you do realize that ANY NOOB can see the transactions right? https://bitcointalk.org/annoyance.php

To that address yes. Most people get their own address in a pm or use bitmit. Nobody has tried to cheat yet (and why would they), but you know what, that method is kind of lame. I'm removing it from the main thread.
whiskers75

Activity: 658
Merit: 502

Doesn't use these forums that often.

View Profile
May 05, 2012, 09:11:42 PM

Great service!!!
Very satisfied!!
Thanks a lot for making this!  Cheesy

Elastic.pw Elastic - The Decentralized Supercomputer
ELASTIC ANNOUNCEMENT THREAD | ELASTIC SLACK | ELASTIC FORUM
tommarr

Activity: 23

View Profile
June 01, 2012, 08:31:30 PM

Works like a charm, thanks

links in first post are not working anymore so linking the product here. I suggest to update it  Wink

http://bitmit.net/en/trade/i/3156-16gb-extra-dropbox-space/description
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: