Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 12:33:09 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: 100 yrs to mine the last million bitcoin?  (Read 2199 times)
CoinRocka (OP)

Activity: 249
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 30, 2014, 03:32:14 AM

I just read that somewhere and thought it was interesting.  Every media outlet says that in order for bitcoin to be used as a mainstream digital currency that the volatility must subside.  My belief is that you will see the price volatility "subside" in a short 10 yrs time.   Cool

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
It is a common myth that Bitcoin is ruled by a majority of miners. This is not true. Bitcoin miners "vote" on the ordering of transactions, but that's all they do. They can't vote to change the network rules.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Ron~Popeil

Activity: 406

View Profile
May 30, 2014, 03:34:30 AM

The bigger the market cap gets the harder it will be to move the price . I think we will see some stability after the big etf is set up and incremental solid growth going forward.

tuneman1980

Activity: 228
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
May 30, 2014, 03:40:27 AM

I'd definitely agree that price volatility is definitely mellowing out.  http://cryptocoinstats.com/volatilitytrackerdetail.php?ac=BTC

http://cryptocoinstats.com/

BTC: 19YQqtEdtuWhT6nk6ArBgMTiKMEjoJ5eww  LTC: Li1RLpZm8Rx7txSnQdvZvtLMsd4XDN2vMJ  FTC: 6qAU4vtyf9LPW4yV4m4Vx1jm4ZkXJHTFP7
Melbustus
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1003

View Profile
May 30, 2014, 03:43:09 AM

A futures market, and more people taking some of their paycheck in bitcoin will both do wonders for volatility reduction.

Bitcoin is the first monetary system to credibly offer perfect information to all economic participants.
jonald_fyookball
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1004

Core dev leaves me neg feedback #abuse #political

View Profile
May 30, 2014, 01:21:05 PM

Volatility could increase again when bigger players enter the market (banks) and they move much coin relative to market depth.

DolanDuck

Activity: 196
Merit: 101

View Profile
May 30, 2014, 01:28:22 PM

I think there will be at least 3-4 bubbles before we can see some sort of price stability,
we are still in the early stage of bitcoin life, maybe in five years something will change.

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
PRIMEDICE
The Premier Bitcoin Gambling Experience @PrimeDice
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
Beliathon

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

https://youtu.be/PZm8TTLR2NU

View Profile WWW
May 30, 2014, 01:59:16 PM

Volatility has nowhere near mellowed out. We are in a temporary oasis of stability. Bitcoin has tens of thousands of fiat in value to eat up still, expect more volatility on the horizon.

Realize we are still extremely early in the game here, people. We're looking at 3-5 years at LEAST before some semblance of stability.

Remember Aaron Swartz, a 26 year old computer scientist who died defending the free flow of information.
yatsey87

Activity: 840
Merit: 509

View Profile
May 30, 2014, 02:12:09 PM

I'm not sure I can see a time when the price isnt steady. It just seems to volatile. And it doesnt really matter when the last coins will be mined because we wont be here to witness the event.
EricTyle

Activity: 152

View Profile
May 30, 2014, 05:30:25 PM

A futures market, and more people taking some of their paycheck in bitcoin will both do wonders for volatility reduction.

I currently receive 33% of my paycheck in BTC, and have been enjoying doing so for the past 3 months (on the verge of 4)

Benjig

Activity: 462

View Profile
May 30, 2014, 08:54:26 PM

Volatility has nowhere near mellowed out. We are in a temporary oasis of stability. Bitcoin has tens of thousands of fiat in value to eat up still, expect more volatility on the horizon.

Realize we are still extremely early in the game here, people. We're looking at 3-5 years at LEAST before some semblance of stability.

Yes, we should expect at least 2 years more of volatility, that means 2 years more of constant growth.
unpure

Activity: 169

View Profile
May 31, 2014, 03:26:49 AM

Volatility isn't good for bitcoin.
Shallow

Activity: 938
Merit: 255

SmartFi - EARN, LEND & TRADE

View Profile
May 31, 2014, 06:10:09 AM

I think the theory of people waiting for stability before jumping aboard makes sense cause a lot of people joined when the price was stable at 400-450 for the past 2 months.

████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████
...The Open..............
...Lending Platform...
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
▄▄█████████▄▄
▄█████████████████▄
▄██████████▀▀▀▀███████▄
█████████▀        ███████
████████▀        ▄█████████
█████████       ▄▀▀██████████
█████████     ▄▀   ▀█████████
██████████  ▄▀      █████████
█████████▀▀       ▄████████
███████        ▄█████████
▀███████▄▄▄▄██████████▀
▀█████████████████▀
▀▀█████████▀▀
.SMARTFI..████
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
...Join the SmartFi.....
...Token Sale...
████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████
████████████████████████████
█████████████████▀▀  ███████
█████████████▀▀      ███████
█████████▀▀   ▄▄     ███████
█████▀▀    ▄█▀▀     ████████
█████████ █▀        ████████
█████████ █ ▄███▄   ████████
██████████████████▄▄████████
████████▀▀▄██████▄▀▀████████
███████  ▀        ▀  ███████
██████                ██████
█████▌   ███    ███   ▐█████
█████▌   ▀▀▀    ▀▀▀   ▐█████
██████                ██████
███████▄  ▀██████▀  ▄███████
cryptos

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 31, 2014, 10:32:47 AM

I think 2017 will start to stabilize as shown in these charts
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=130619.0
snaildvorak

Activity: 232

View Profile
June 05, 2014, 08:02:43 AM

I can't wait the time when the price of bitcoin is very stable.
So I can use bitcoin without worrying the price tomorrow will up or down.  Cheesy
Harley997

Activity: 266

View Profile
June 09, 2014, 03:22:20 AM

I just read that somewhere and thought it was interesting.  Every media outlet says that in order for bitcoin to be used as a mainstream digital currency that the volatility must subside.  My belief is that you will see the price volatility "subside" in a short 10 yrs time.   Cool

I don't see what your subject has to do with your post.

You are correct to say that it will take a very long time to mine the last million bitcoin as halving of the block reward will make the "standard" block worth very little, however TX rewards will hopefully make up a large share of rewards (in theory a miner will earn something like 15-20 BTC in TX fees and .05-.1 BTC in block rewards).

You are also correct to say that for Bitcoin to be accepted by the masses (meaning 80-90% of the population the price of it must become must less volatile. With that being said there are a lot of niches that will likely wish to adopt Bitcoin prior to that happening. Micropayment is a prime example of this.

You have nothing to backup your statement regarding your prediction as to when the price of bitcoin will subside. Year over year the price volatility has decreased substantially.

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
PRIMEDICE
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
Ron~Popeil

Activity: 406

View Profile
June 09, 2014, 08:09:52 PM

You are correct to say that it will take a very long time to mine the last million bitcoin as halving of the block reward will make the "standard" block worth very little, however TX rewards will hopefully make up a large share of rewards (in theory a miner will earn something like 15-20 BTC in TX fees and .05-.1 BTC in block rewards).

You are also correct to say that for Bitcoin to be accepted by the masses (meaning 80-90% of the population the price of it must become must less volatile. With that being said there are a lot of niches that will likely wish to adopt Bitcoin prior to that happening. Micropayment is a prime example of this.

You have nothing to backup your statement regarding your prediction as to when the price of bitcoin will subside. Year over year the price volatility has decreased substantially.

Well put. Volatility will decrease naturally over time. Cheaper and more efficient mining hardware will also help keep it profitable as the rewards drop. 

Harley997

Activity: 266

View Profile
June 10, 2014, 01:57:51 AM

Well put. Volatility will decrease naturally over time. Cheaper and more efficient mining hardware will also help keep it profitable as the rewards drop. 

Thank you.

It should be noted that miners can only be more profitable when they are cheaper and more efficient when compared to other miners. If all miners become cheaper and more efficient then the whole network will be the same, and the profitability of each individual miner will be the same.

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
PRIMEDICE
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
ShakyhandsBTCer

Activity: 448

It's Money 2.0| It’s gold for nerds | It's Bitcoin

View Profile
June 13, 2014, 03:43:55 AM

I can't wait the time when the price of bitcoin is very stable.
So I can use bitcoin without worrying the price tomorrow will up or down.  Cheesy

Over the long term to date the price of bitcoin has increased.

You may need to wait longer then "tomorrow" to see the increase, but if you can wait a year then it would increase (this has been the case to date with BTC).
Gianluca95
Legendary

Activity: 1582
Merit: 1196

Reputation first.

View Profile
June 13, 2014, 05:07:42 PM

I don't think that is possible.

Keep mind that when all of bitcoin will be mined, there will be powerful hardware to mine bitcoin.

So I think that is not a problem, the important is that bitcoin will can pay miners Smiley

█████████████████████████████
███▀█████████████████████▀███
███  ▀▀███████████████▀▀  ███
███     ████▀▀ ▀▀████     ███
███     ██▀       ▀██     ███
███     ██         ██     ███
███     ██▄       ▄██     ███
███     ████▄▄ ▄▄████     ███
███  ▄▄███████████████▄▄  ███
███▄█████████████████████▄███
.Mixin Safe.

▄███████▄     
██▀   ▀██
             ▄███████▄
██▄   ▄██             ██▀   ▀██
▀███████▀             ██▄   ▄██
   ███     ▄███████▄  ▀███████▀
   ███▀▀   ██▀   ▀██     ███
   █████   ██▄   ▄██     ███▀▀
   ▀▀▀     ▀███████▀     █████
              ███        ▀▀▀
              ███▀▀
              █████
              ▀▀▀
2/3 Multisig Decentralized
Bitcoin Custody Solutions
💎
💪
🔓
CONFIDENT
RELIABLE
RECOVERABLE
..GET STARTED..
jonald_fyookball
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1004

Core dev leaves me neg feedback #abuse #political

View Profile
June 13, 2014, 05:11:32 PM

I don't think that is possible.

Keep mind that when all of bitcoin will be mined, there will be powerful hardware to mine bitcoin.

So I think that is not a problem, the important is that bitcoin will can pay miners Smiley

Bitcoin will ALWAYS be able to pay miners based on the simple fact that
difficulty can decrease if necessary.

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: