Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 01:58:41 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: at what point is a person considered a "respectable" miner?  (Read 8479 times)
malevolent
can into space
Legendary

Activity: 3472
Merit: 1721

View Profile
February 10, 2012, 12:18:42 AM

Google also had custom PSU built for their datacenter years ago but that was back when avg ATX PSU was 70% efficient.

Given what % of PCs (most of them) are sold with chinese crap PSUs (not necessarily no-name but of similar quality) with an avg. efficiency of 40-60% I think some time has to pass when an average ATX PSU is 70% efficient.

Signature space available for rent.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
You get merit points when someone likes your post enough to give you some. And for every 2 merit points you receive, you can send 1 merit point to someone else!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
JayCoin

Activity: 409
Merit: 251

Crypt'n Since 2011

View Profile WWW
February 10, 2012, 02:10:58 AM

The reasons for choosing 277VAC are:
a) Still only one phase to worry about - not two or three per PSU. Less wiring.
b) No 480 --> 240 VAC transformer losses. (Not sure how much efficiency loss there is, but I don't think the transformer could be any higher than 96-97% efficient. Mine is a 45Kva SquareD)
c) Smaller gauge wiring due to the higher voltage.

Well "a" doesn't really matter.  If you home isn't 3 phase you aren't getting 3 phase anyways.

On "b" I think you are forgetting about the 480 -> 277 VAC transformer. Wink Still transformers tend to be very efficient.  97%+ is certainly likely, 99%+ is possible.   Energy in = Energy out.  So all the energy on the 480 VAC side becomes 240 VAC or heat.  An inefficient transformer on a mains where it could be pulling 100 amps+ would quickly melt.  Some quick numbers.  The transformer is rated at 45KVA so at 5% inefficiency and peak load ~2.5KW would be converted into heat.  Heat output on the transformer would be more than 10x 5970s. Smiley

Optimally the best thing for you would be a high efficiency 5KW 480VAC to 12VDC powersupply.  You could power an entire rack of GPUs.  Smiley  Then just run the low wattage mixed voltage components off some low wattage ATX PSU units.  Now if you found and rigged that you might be a serious miner.

b) 480V three phase is 480V leg to leg and 277V to ground. If you want to run 277V, you would need to have a 4-wire service.  The kind of tr

Hello There!
Isepick

Activity: 180
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 10, 2012, 04:57:48 AM

You might be a serious miner:

-If you pulled two 10/2 cables across your attic and wired that up to a 60A breaker because you are already using up ~60A on your existing farm and you want to expand.
-If you mine inside your house in South Florida with >5Ghash in the summer
-If you convince your significant other that 87F is an acceptable indoor temperature...in January.
  -And further convince her the hair dryers(4x5970) on the kitchen table are actually making enough money to be worth the heat and noise.
-If it is cheaper for you to go home early from work to find out why your farm went offline than it is to stay at work for another few hours.
-If mining is a job, not a hobby

All that is some of my personal experience. Depending on your house wiring, you start finding out about power problems at about 3-4Ghash (I think, that was awhile ago). By the time I hit 5Ghash I had extension cords coming from all areas of the house. I'm at 10 Ghash now, and while I know I have more than a lot of people, I know there's some dudes with a *lot* more than that. The longest my A/C has been off since last March was when I was pulling those 10/2 cables into my main service panel (about 2 hours).
eviltt (OP)

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 10, 2012, 05:05:57 AM

You might be a serious miner:

-If you pulled two 10/2 cables across your attic and wired that up to a 60A breaker because you are already using up ~60A on your existing farm and you want to expand.
-If you mine inside your house in South Florida with >5Ghash in the summer
-If you convince your significant other that 87F is an acceptable indoor temperature...in January.
  -And further convince her the hair dryers(4x5970) on the kitchen table are actually making enough money to be worth the heat and noise.
-If it is cheaper for you to go home early from work to find out why your farm went offline than it is to stay at work for another few hours.
-If mining is a job, not a hobby

All that is some of my personal experience. Depending on your house wiring, you start finding out about power problems at about 3-4Ghash (I think, that was awhile ago). By the time I hit 5Ghash I had extension cords coming from all areas of the house. I'm at 10 Ghash now, and while I know I have more than a lot of people, I know there's some dudes with a *lot* more than that. The longest my A/C has been off since last March was when I was pulling those 10/2 cables into my main service panel (about 2 hours).

how much is power down there?
Isepick

Activity: 180
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 10, 2012, 05:13:06 AM

about $.125/kWh
eviltt (OP)

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 10, 2012, 05:34:17 AM

about $.125/kWh

not too bad.. im on a multi tiered thing.. pay different rates at different times of day.. it ends up being like 7.3 cents pr kwh...
TheHarbinger

Activity: 378
Merit: 250

Why is it so damn hot in here?

View Profile
February 10, 2012, 12:56:52 PM

Consider I'm living in a country where -20 is common in January.

-If you can heat your feets with your mining rig, you're just starting.
-If you can heat a room with your mining rig, you have a nice hobby.
-If you're starting to save on heating because you heat the house, you're serious dude.
-If you can heat a whole 4-story house, with people keeping the windows open because it's too hot, and having the oil company giving you refunds on your heating bill, I believe it is the point where you are "respectable".

seriously, i have only had to turn on the heat once for this winter, and it's because the internet was down!

Wish I had yall's problem. I have only been able to shut off my A/C for one day this Winter.

I hear that.  Florida only has two seasons, unlike the rest of the world.  Hot, and "Damn Hot".  Middle of "winter" and it's going to be 83F today.

12Um6jfDE7q6crm1s6tSksMvda8s1hZ3Vj
malevolent
can into space
Legendary

View Profile
February 10, 2012, 12:58:43 PM

seriously, i have only had to turn on the heat once for this winter, and it's because the internet was down!

Same here but it happened to me twice so far Wink

shata

Activity: 547
Merit: 253

View Profile
February 11, 2012, 01:02:03 AM

Id say I agree a dedicated rig with 1g/hash thats pretty respectable and decent size investment for average person. Im sitting at 460mh/s But im looking at upgrading my rig to 5870s soon and moving 5830 to new rig. Wink

▄▄█████████▄▄
▄█████████████████▄
▄████████████ ▀███████▄
▄█████████████   ▀██████▄
▄█████████ ▀████▄   ▀█████▄
██████████  ██████▄   █████
█████ ▀████▄ ▀██████▄ █████
█████   ▀████▄ ▀ ██████████
▀█████▄   ▀████▄ █████████▀
▀██████▄   █████████████▀
▀███████▄ ████████████▀
▀█████████████████▀
▀▀█████████▀▀
Emporium.
Finance
Decentralized Peer-to-Peer
Marketplace and DeFi
Liquidity Mining Platform
▄▄█▀▀██▀██▀▄▄
▄███▀██▀▀▀▀▀ ▄▄   
 ▀          ▄█▀▄█▄    
▄▄▄▄▄        ▀   ▀██▄███▄
▄██████▄          ▄▄██████▄
███████▌       ▄███████████
█████████▄  ▀█▄████████████
███████████▄▄▄▀▀▀▀▀████████
▀█████████████▀     ▀▀████▀
▀████████████▄        ██▀
▀████████████▌    ▄▄██▀
▀██████████▌  ▄███▀
▀▀██████ ▄█▀▀
Available
in +125
Countries
▄███▄
█████
▀███▀
▄▄▄     ▄█████▄     ▄▄▄
█████    ███████    █████
▄███▄               ▄███▄
███████     ███     ███████
███████ ██▄█████▄██ ███████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀  ███▀ ▀███  ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
███▄ ▄███
██▀█████▀██
███
Community
Governance
System
▄▄██████▄▄ ▄▀▄
      ▀▀▀ ▄██▄
          ▀██ ▄██▄       ▄█
        ▄██   ▀▀███▄   ▄███
       ▄██        ▀█▄   ███
      ▄██           ▀  ▄███
     ▄██        ▄▄     ▀███
    ▄██        ██▀      ███
   ▄██                ▄████
  ▄██         ▄█████████▄ █
  ▀▀      ▄▄▄█████ █▀  ████
      ▄▄██▀▀██▀  ███▄  ▄███
    ▄██████████████████████
Liquidity
Mining
Platform
████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
JOIN NOW
shata

Activity: 547
Merit: 253

View Profile
February 11, 2012, 01:04:10 AM

lmfao, same here I actually opened my window 1inch to cool the room. Stays 70F in room with outside temp in 40s or bit lower....haha

▄▄█████████▄▄
▄█████████████████▄
▄████████████ ▀███████▄
▄█████████████   ▀██████▄
▄█████████ ▀████▄   ▀█████▄
██████████  ██████▄   █████
█████ ▀████▄ ▀██████▄ █████
█████   ▀████▄ ▀ ██████████
▀█████▄   ▀████▄ █████████▀
▀██████▄   █████████████▀
▀███████▄ ████████████▀
▀█████████████████▀
▀▀█████████▀▀
Emporium.
Finance
Decentralized Peer-to-Peer
Marketplace and DeFi
Liquidity Mining Platform
▄▄█▀▀██▀██▀▄▄
▄███▀██▀▀▀▀▀ ▄▄   
 ▀          ▄█▀▄█▄    
▄▄▄▄▄        ▀   ▀██▄███▄
▄██████▄          ▄▄██████▄
███████▌       ▄███████████
█████████▄  ▀█▄████████████
███████████▄▄▄▀▀▀▀▀████████
▀█████████████▀     ▀▀████▀
▀████████████▄        ██▀
▀████████████▌    ▄▄██▀
▀██████████▌  ▄███▀
▀▀██████ ▄█▀▀
Available
in +125
Countries
▄███▄
█████
▀███▀
▄▄▄     ▄█████▄     ▄▄▄
▄███▄               ▄███▄
███████     ███     ███████
███████ ██▄█████▄██ ███████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀  ███▀ ▀███  ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
███▄ ▄███
██▀█████▀██
███
Community
Governance
System
▄▄██████▄▄ ▄▀▄
      ▀▀▀ ▄██▄
          ▀██ ▄██▄       ▄█
        ▄██   ▀▀███▄   ▄███
       ▄██        ▀█▄   ███
      ▄██           ▀  ▄███
     ▄██        ▄▄     ▀███
    ▄██        ██▀      ███
   ▄██                ▄████
  ▄██         ▄█████████▄ █
  ▀▀      ▄▄▄█████ █▀  ████
      ▄▄██▀▀██▀  ███▄  ▄███
    ▄██████████████████████
Liquidity
Mining
Platform
JOIN NOW
TheHarbinger

Activity: 378

Why is it so damn hot in here?

View Profile
February 11, 2012, 02:00:36 AM

lmfao, same here I actually opened my window 1inch to cool the room. Stays 70F in room with outside temp in 40s or bit lower....haha

Can you send some of that 40F weather down here to Florida please, I'm tired of running my A/C in the middle of winter.

12Um6jfDE7q6crm1s6tSksMvda8s1hZ3Vj
kpriess

Activity: 415

Money is the root of all evil.

View Profile
February 11, 2012, 02:04:55 AM

The repectable miner is the one that can get the most hashing power for the least wattage and make it stable enough to run it without hiccups; that person deserves respect..
malevolent
can into space
Legendary

View Profile
February 11, 2012, 12:28:23 PM

I would say a 'respectable miner' is someone who can makes enough bitcoins (minus electricity, hardware depreciation, time) to support himself in the country he is currently residing in.

Joshwaa

Activity: 497
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 11, 2012, 12:30:38 PM

Can you send some of that 40F weather down here to Florida please, I'm tired of running my A/C in the middle of winter.

Ditto! All the way to South Florida.

Like what I said : 1JosHWaA2GywdZo9pmGLNJ5XSt8j7nzNiF
Don't like what I said : 1FuckU1u89U9nBKQu4rCHz16uF4RhpSTV
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
February 11, 2012, 04:02:27 PM

I would say a 'respectable miner' is someone who can makes enough bitcoins (minus electricity, hardware depreciation, time) to support himself in the country he is currently residing in.

Wow then there are likely 0 respectable miners.

malevolent
can into space
Legendary

View Profile
February 11, 2012, 04:40:36 PM

Grin

I am not saying it is someone who solely relies on income derived from mining but someone who's mining profits are enough to make a modest living had he not had another job; in many ex-USSR countries this could be as little as $200-300 a month, especially if that person is sharing a two-bedroom flat with 3 other people and rents a basement or a garage for his rigs for something like $10-20.

JWU42
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 11, 2012, 05:22:25 PM

Grin  Grin  Tongue

The-Real-Link

Activity: 533
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 11, 2012, 10:44:10 PM

You guys are good Wink.  Had me laughing at a lot of these points.  Gotta crack the room window here for sure.  My main system is fine by itself but I have one more miner here with 2 5970s that's being relocated soon.  With that cranking 24/7 too, I do have to vent the room sometimes. 

At least it's only been in the 20s-30s here in Michigan in winter.  I'd hate to know how hot this room would get in summer.

Oh Loaded, who art up in Mt. Gox, hallowed be thy name!  Thy dollars rain, thy will be done, on BTCUSD.  Give us this day our daily 10% 30%, and forgive the bears, as we have bought their bitcoins.  And lead us into quadruple digits
cbeast
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006

Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.

View Profile
February 11, 2012, 11:04:47 PM

At the price/difficulty levels currently, I only keep my miners running to add heat this winter. I have no plans to upgrade from the old 5830s.

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.
kjlimo
Legendary

Activity: 2086
Merit: 1031

View Profile WWW
February 12, 2012, 06:50:15 PM

At the price/difficulty levels currently, I only keep my miners running to add heat this winter. I have no plans to upgrade from the old 5830s.

Think you'll expand to FPGAs?

Coinbase for selling BTCs
Fold for spending BTCs
PM me with any questions on these sites/apps!  http://www.montybitcoin.com

or Vircurex for trading alt cryptocurrencies like DOGEs
CoinNinja for exploring the blockchain.
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: