Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 01:27:38 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  

Warning: Moderators do not remove likely scams. You must use your own brain: caveat emptor. Watch out for Ponzi schemes. Do not invest more than you can afford to lose.

Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: BMF has lost access to it's wallet [UnModerated]  (Read 6589 times)
Rannasha

Activity: 728
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 30, 2014, 07:59:15 PM

Again, operating at your level means backing the wallet.dat up to a couple of flash drives, no need for any formal DRP or delegation of anything.

How will backing up wallet.dat to a couple of flash drives work if your house burns down? You're such a 'tard. You act like it is impossible to lose data. Let me be honest with you -- I'm laughing at you. You and twentyseventy clearly have no idea what is going on here.

It works because you keep one flash drive at home, one in the office, one in a safety deposit box or whatever, etc...

A single backup is not a backup. Any backup strategy should have at least 2 backups at physically separate locations and if the backups are managed by external parties then 2 different parties unrelated to eachother should be managing the backups. There should never be a single point of failure.
"If you don't want people to know you're a scumbag then don't be a scumbag." -- margaritahuyan
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
NotLambchop

Activity: 378
Merit: 254

View Profile
May 30, 2014, 08:03:21 PM

Again, operating at your level means backing the wallet.dat up to a couple of flash drives, no need for any formal DRP or delegation of anything.

How will backing up wallet.dat to a couple of flash drives work if your house burns down?...

By not keeping both of them in your house.
inb4 what if both your house and your bank safe-deposit box burn down:  Hopefully this doesn't happen simultaneously, leaving you a copy to dupe.
If both your house and your bank do burn down simultaneously:  you don't care because nuclear war/Armageddon.
Blazed
Casascius Addict
Legendary

Activity: 2128
Merit: 1119

View Profile WWW
May 30, 2014, 08:05:01 PM

If you can not figure out how to make a secure backup...how can you provide a secure wallet for others?!?!?
watcoin

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

I am a watable wat

View Profile WWW
May 30, 2014, 08:34:35 PM

I know! This thread is a laugh riot. It's clearly full of trolls; all you can do is eat more popcorn.

Gotta hand it to that guy who claims to be a web admin yet so obviously has no concept of the delegation of authority or any management experience whatsoever.

fluffypony
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1060

GetMonero.org / MyMonero.com

View Profile WWW
May 31, 2014, 01:03:14 PM

How will backing up wallet.dat to a couple of flash drives work if your house burns down? You're such a 'tard. You act like it is impossible to lose data. Let me be honest with you -- I'm laughing at you. You and twentyseventy clearly have no idea what is going on here.

This would be your backup under your control, so in the event your primary system is destroyed (it was) and your automated backups are unavailable (they are) you have a manual backup from which to begin rebuilding. The "multiple flash drives" bit is merely to combat any one of them failing. The chances of what you encountered happening are statistically high (because you trusted backups to the same person doing your hosting), but you could have at least marginally circumvented that by having a backup 100% under your direct control. I fear that your inability to comprehend the fundamentals of "what is going on here" are indicative of your ability to grok incredibly basic fundamental principles. Doubling down on your stance doesn't really help your situation at all.

usagi
VIP

Activity: 812
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 31, 2014, 04:29:55 PM

This would be your backup under your control, so in the event your primary system is destroyed (it was) and your automated backups are unavailable (they are) you have a manual backup from which to begin rebuilding. The "multiple flash drives" bit is merely to combat any one of them failing. The chances of what you encountered happening are statistically high (because you trusted backups to the same person doing your hosting), but you could have at least marginally circumvented that by having a backup 100% under your direct control. I fear that your inability to comprehend the fundamentals of "what is going on here" are indicative of your ability to grok incredibly basic fundamental principles. Doubling down on your stance doesn't really help your situation at all.

No, the same person doing the hosting was not the same person doing the backups. They were in different datacenters. Hence the term remote backup. "What is going on here" is simply you being a jackass -- I don't need to "help" my situation, I have no "situation". I'm laughing at you. Don't you get it? We know you're a troll, and you lost the troll game. Keep posting please,
fluffypony
Donator
Legendary

View Profile WWW
May 31, 2014, 05:28:48 PM

No, the same person doing the hosting was not the same person doing the backups. They were in different datacenters. Hence the term remote backup. "What is going on here" is simply you being a jackass -- I don't need to "help" my situation, I have no "situation". I'm laughing at you. Don't you get it? We know you're a troll, and you lost the troll game. Keep posting please,

It's irrelevant if it was in a different datacenter. "The same person" means "the same idiot that can't keep a VPS slice up and hot-swap RAID disks if they're being testy".

You're probably right - you are laughing at me. I'm ok with that. I have no problem with someone on your level laughing at me.

This is especially true when everyone else is laughing at you: http://bitcoinpete.com/2014/05/31/usagi-back-back-back-it-up-ayee/

Blazed
Casascius Addict
Legendary

Activity: 2128
Merit: 1119

View Profile WWW
May 31, 2014, 05:36:08 PM

usagi
VIP

View Profile
June 01, 2014, 12:05:48 PM

It's irrelevant if it was in a different datacenter. "The same person" means "the same idiot that can't keep a VPS slice up and hot-swap RAID disks if they're being testy".

You're probably right - you are laughing at me. I'm ok with that. I have no problem with someone on your level laughing at me.

This is especially true when everyone else is laughing at you: http://bitcoinpete.com/2014/05/31/usagi-back-back-back-it-up-ayee/

Even Mircea knows what pete wrote was a lie.
Code:
mircea_popescu:;;later tell bitcoinpete "He fleeced -assette extraordinaire kakobrekla for 145 BTC" doesn't seem an accurate rendition. iirc usagi sold pirate insurance, which he paid up on.
pascal257

Activity: 493
Merit: 262

View Profile
June 01, 2014, 06:18:52 PM

This is a great reference for future projects of usagi.

Not only did he fuck up, not only does he refuse to admit that he fucked up, he also attacks those who show him why he fucked up.

Just link to this thread if someone is thinking about doing business with him or he's advertising his next fail.
jonsi
Legendary

Activity: 1397
Merit: 1019

View Profile
June 02, 2014, 09:38:50 AM

I'm astonished of usagi response: calling everyone a troll, including lots of Sr Members. Usagi fu..ed up and now he sais: "we are laughint at you". Who is "we"?
NO, Usagi, you are wrong AGAIN! WE are laughing at you, but we pity the people whose money you lost.

Such incompetence and such atitude leaves me without words...
I guess now I'm on your troll list too and tagged as someone that "doesn't know what he is talking about". In that case, it's good we have people like you that "know what they're doing".
usagi
VIP

View Profile
June 02, 2014, 10:06:18 AM

I'm astonished of usagi response: calling everyone a troll, including lots of Sr Members. Usagi fu..ed up and now he sais: "we are laughint at you". Who is "we"?
NO, Usagi, you are wrong AGAIN! WE are laughing at you, but we pity the people whose money you lost.

Let me educate you because you seem like an honest gentleman.

This is a troll thread. Everyone, including you, seems to understand that the rule is "don't post in the official BMF thread" because usagi is not interested in responding to bullshit accusations. What do you want me to do, go back in time? Seriously, tell me -- what do you want me to do? Oh, and do it in the official thread.

If you don't have the guts to post in the official BMF thread, then you are admitting you have nothing except rumor and innuendo. I have demonstrated I will let people have their fair say in my thread.
jonsi
Legendary

View Profile
June 02, 2014, 11:51:37 AM
Last edit: June 02, 2014, 02:30:25 PM by jonsi

This is a troll thread. Everyone, including you, seems to understand that the rule is "don't post in the official BMF thread" because usagi is not interested in responding to bullshit accusations. What do you want me to do, go back in time? Seriously, tell me -- what do you want me to do? Oh, and do it in the official thread.

If you don't have the guts to post in the official BMF thread, then you are admitting you have nothing except rumor and innuendo. I have demonstrated I will let people have their fair say in my thread.

You got it all wrong. I don't want you to go back in time and it's not even about loosing access to that wallet. It's about your atitude about the whole thing.
Anyone can make a mistake and in your situation it was a good amount of bad luck involved, but to say you had absolutly no guilt at all, well... it's outrageous.
     As for posting in the official BMF thread this is my response: I stand for the total freedom of speach and I'm against all censorship, especially on a public forum. You don't have to respond to trolls because the comunity has the power to distinguish and ignore them and if you don't belive that it means you think you are better than the comunity and only you are capable of thinking. You can say, that in a way, moderated threads are like banks and unmoderated ones are like bitcoin. I will use them (boths banks and moderated threads) when it's no other way and hope not to loose my money or my time, so, you see, it's not about "guts".
     The answers you received from the comunity were based mostly on your atitude, not on your facts. Nobody asked you to do anything about what happend but you bashed very agressively anyone who criticized you.

As for "I have demonstrated I will let people have their fair say in my thread", I can only ask you: fair by who'se standards?

Anyway, up to this point, it's very clear to me that you will remain to the fixed ideea that you have absolutely no guilt and no responsability in this and that it's nothing you could have done to prevent this, so, I don't try to "educate" you. My response was mostly for the comunity, in witch I trust and you are free to ignore this, especially that I "didn't had the guts" to post in the official BMF thread.
usagi
VIP

View Profile
June 02, 2014, 12:07:26 PM

You got it all wrong. I don't want you to go back in time and it's not even about loosing access to that wallet. It's about your atitude about the whole thing.

If you want me to care, post on the BMF thread. I won't respond to trolls here.
jonsi
Legendary

View Profile
June 02, 2014, 12:22:31 PM

It's ok, usagi, no need for a response. You have "educated" people enough. All will be fine.

Maybe Kumala could ask for usagi's help, I heard he's quite good with online wallets.

great idea, perhaps tradefortress, ukyo and karpeles can lend a hand too, all star lineup creating a killer exchange platform
fluffypony
Donator
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 02, 2014, 02:13:32 PM

It's ok, usagi, no need for a response. You have "educated" people enough. All will be fine.

I think what we're observing here is our very own mini version of the Streisand Effect.

E.Sam

Activity: 393
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
June 02, 2014, 02:45:22 PM

I think the notion of trolling eludes you. People have been criticising your recklessness, incompetence, lack of judgement, etc... via logic argumentation.

trolling would be something more like this: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=632487.msg7082550#msg7082550

Edit: as well as this
ondratra

Activity: 350

View Profile
June 02, 2014, 03:03:21 PM

Usagi I have a question for you - cause I got confused by this shoutout.

You are saying you had backups on other servers maintained by other provider. Tell me in short what goes wrong then? Why you can't recover data from this backup???
dropt
Legendary

Activity: 1512

View Profile
June 02, 2014, 03:34:04 PM

Quote from: Bitcoin Forum
A reply of yours, quoted below, was deleted by the starter of a self-moderated topic. There are no rules of self-moderation, so this deletion cannot be appealed. Do not continue posting in this topic if the topic-starter has requested that you leave.

You can create a new topic if you are unsatisfied with this one. If the topic-starter is scamming, post about it in Scam Accusations.

You absolutely should be culpable, I am shocked that you think you are not. Your attitude of not assuming you have done anything wrong has prompted me to speak out.

Firstly: this is not "advanced Bitcoin techniques that require an in-depth knowledge of C++", this is "Bitcoin 101 - stuff we tell all the n00bs".

https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Backingup_your_wallet#Backing_up_your_wallet_files

I have nothing to do with BFM (I don't even know what it is), but the thread title caught my attention.  I agree with what fluffypony has stated, these mistakes are noob status and it concerns me that you've been working on a web wallet but haven't taken even the most basic precautions to prevent this sort of thing from happening.

You lying sack of shit.
E.Sam

Activity: 393

View Profile WWW
June 02, 2014, 03:43:21 PM

Quote from: Bitcoin Forum
A reply of yours, quoted below, was deleted by the starter of a self-moderated topic. There are no rules of self-moderation, so this deletion cannot be appealed. Do not continue posting in this topic if the topic-starter has requested that you leave.

You can create a new topic if you are unsatisfied with this one. If the topic-starter is scamming, post about it in Scam Accusations.

Baffled by OP answers. Fluffypony post says it all.
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: