Bitcoin Forum
July 02, 2024, 10:27:33 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: PCI-E wires on psu very warm  (Read 1391 times)
kthejung (OP)

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 30, 2014, 06:33:33 AM

I have 3 Corsair RM850 powering 6 overclocked antminers.  I've noticed that a few of the pci-e wires would get very warm, near where it connects to the psu, so I switched out the wires with brand new replacement wires over a month ago.  I'm having the recurring problem again but no more pci-e wires to replace them with.  Are the wires getting very warm safe?  Should I be concerned?  The wires are warm enough that I can only touch it with my hand for about 3 seconds before it feels hot.  I've been running the machines for over 2 months now.
EvilPanda

Activity: 658
Merit: 500

Small Red and Bad

View Profile
May 30, 2014, 04:45:03 PM

If you can hold it for 3 s before burning i'm guessing the temperature is below 100*C so it won't melt or catch fire as long as this temp doesn't jump up.

You could try replacing the cables with the ones used for higher voltages, they are thicker and should stay cooler (but this will require some soldering). Also avoid multiple connections on the same rail.

ganabb

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 02, 2014, 04:38:24 AM

Installed more fans in your system , is there a dust filter between the fan and PSU? If so you might want to clean it, but like I said, they do get warm.

haploid23
Legendary

Activity: 812
Merit: 1002

View Profile WWW
June 02, 2014, 05:34:13 AM

No, that is not good. The wires are insulated, so if you can feel that much heat through the insulation, then the actual copper wire is much hotter on the inside. Check the connectors of both the antminer and PSU cable to make sure none of them are melted or "browned". If you know how to replace the wire, then put in some thicker gauge ones.

notlist3d
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 03, 2014, 06:49:21 AM

No, that is not good. The wires are insulated, so if you can feel that much heat through the insulation, then the actual copper wire is much hotter on the inside. Check the connectors of both the antminer and PSU cable to make sure none of them are melted or "browned". If you know how to replace the wire, then put in some thicker gauge ones.

I have not had this with a quality brand like you mentioned.  I did get a "deal" once during GPU day's.  Definitely check for melting.  If you cannot stop the heat I would get a PCIe extension.  And hopefully it like mine did melts extension and not a miner.
gibleh

Activity: 13
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 05, 2014, 11:44:27 AM

I have 3 Corsair RM850 powering 6 overclocked antminers.  I've noticed that a few of the pci-e wires would get very warm, near where it connects to the psu, so I switched out the wires with brand new replacement wires over a month ago.  I'm having the recurring problem again but no more pci-e wires to replace them with.  Are the wires getting very warm safe?  Should I be concerned?  The wires are warm enough that I can only touch it with my hand for about 3 seconds before it feels hot.  I've been running the machines for over 2 months now.

WARM cables are OK. HOT CABLES ARE NOT. You want to aim to make your cables COLD/ROOM TEMP. The temp of the cables is directly related to the amount of CURRENT going through them in proportion to the CROSS SECTION OF THE COPPER in the cable.

CHEAP CHINESE cables 99% of the time HAVE SMALLER COPPER WIRE (to keep them cheap) in them than good name bands. But in saying that the "Budget" PSU's that name brands sell also often have these lower copper content cables to save money.

Always remember HOT CABLES COULD = FIRE and most likely a dead miner. (Insulation melts off and causes a short) again though, Good PSU's have Over Current protection and *should* cut off before that.

All of my PSU cables have been upgraded my myself and are ALWAYS stone cold  Grin Grin

The Corsair RM850 is a real quality PSU but the cables look to be under sized (the flat ribbon effect is nice for cable management and looks nice but the trade off is that the cables are slightly smaller than what is best)

Just my 2c worth. Grin
As a side note: I hold a cabling licence in Australia so read into that what you will
notlist3d
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 05, 2014, 12:48:03 PM

WARM cables are OK. HOT CABLES ARE NOT. You want to aim to make your cables COLD/ROOM TEMP. The temp of the cables is directly related to the amount of CURRENT going through them in proportion to the CROSS SECTION OF THE COPPER in the cable.

CHEAP CHINESE cables 99% of the time HAVE SMALLER COPPER WIRE (to keep them cheap) in them than good name bands. But in saying that the "Budget" PSU's that name brands sell also often have these lower copper content cables to save money.

Always remember HOT CABLES COULD = FIRE and most likely a dead miner. (Insulation melts off and causes a short) again though, Good PSU's have Over Current protection and *should* cut off before that.

All of my PSU cables have been upgraded my myself and are ALWAYS stone cold  Grin Grin

The Corsair RM850 is a real quality PSU but the cables look to be under sized (the flat ribbon effect is nice for cable management and looks nice but the trade off is that the cables are slightly smaller than what is best)

Just my 2c worth. Grin
As a side note: I hold a cabling licence in Australia so read into that what you will

If it is very hot he has a very valid point on fire.  I only have had one melt that was a "bargin psu".   They replaced and it was from another batch and worked fine.  But do the math of if upgrading PSU is possible depending on what you are connecting it to.  Or a extender might save you like it did me by luck on mine.  Can't guarantee it will always happen but mine melted the PCI-e extender instead of GPU.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: