Bitcoin Forum
May 27, 2024, 10:26:58 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: How Do I Tell My Daughter That People Across Europe Fear Minorities Like Us?  (Read 2008 times)
5flags (OP)

Activity: 224
Merit: 100

Professional anarchist

View Profile WWW
May 30, 2014, 06:33:40 AM

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/mehdi-hasan/ukip-ethnic-minorities_b_5409716.html?utm_hp_ref=tw

Take the Front National, which won the European elections in France. Its leader, Marine Le Pen, bangs on about the "progressive Islamisation" of her country and compares Muslims praying in public to the Nazi occupation of France. Consider also the Danish People's Party, which topped the polls in Denmark. Its founder Pia Kjærsgaard refers to Islam as a "political movement" and claims that the Quran teaches Muslims "to lie and deceive, cheat and swindle".

Muslims are the new Jews, Islamophobia the new anti-Semitism.  It's a shameful, hateful repetition of history.

http://5fla.gs - @5flags on Twitter
acs267

Activity: 644
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 30, 2014, 06:35:18 AM

How can people still be this idiotic? World War II happened decades ago. Really long time to learn from mistakes... That happened because of... What? Mostly Isolation, and not wanting to aid in the fight.
beetcoin

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 30, 2014, 06:37:09 AM

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/mehdi-hasan/ukip-ethnic-minorities_b_5409716.html?utm_hp_ref=tw

Take the Front National, which won the European elections in France. Its leader, Marine Le Pen, bangs on about the "progressive Islamisation" of her country and compares Muslims praying in public to the Nazi occupation of France. Consider also the Danish People's Party, which topped the polls in Denmark. Its founder Pia Kjærsgaard refers to Islam as a "political movement" and claims that the Quran teaches Muslims "to lie and deceive, cheat and swindle".

Muslims are the new Jews, Islamophobia the new anti-Semitism.  It's a shameful, hateful repetition of history.

isn't it quite easy? you can tell her people in europe are similar to people in the states, at least if that's where you're from. she should know the world is a messed up place, because if she didn't and abruptly found out.. that could be a crippling blow.
5flags (OP)

Professional anarchist

View Profile WWW
May 30, 2014, 06:38:46 AM

How can people still be this idiotic? World War II happened decades ago. Really long time to learn from mistakes... That happened because of... What? Mostly Isolation, and not wanting to aid in the fight.

Europe is still infected with nationalism, and with nationalism comes xenophobia, racism and everything else. I've read a lot of the anti-Semitic propaganda from 100 years ago, it's so frighteningly similar to what I read being written about Muslims today. "To lie, cheat and swindle?" That's why we still have the verb "to Jew" someone, meaning to lie to them, to cheat or swindle them.

5flags (OP)

Professional anarchist

View Profile WWW
May 30, 2014, 06:40:27 AM

isn't it quite easy? you can tell her people in europe are similar to people in the states, at least if that's where you're from. she should know the world is a messed up place, because if she didn't and abruptly found out.. that could be a crippling blow.

The title of the post is the title of the article, in the author's voice, I'm not a Muslim.

acs267

View Profile
May 30, 2014, 06:44:13 AM

Europe is still infected with nationalism, and with nationalism comes xenophobia, racism and everything else. I've read a lot of the anti-Semitic propaganda from 100 years ago, it's so frighteningly similar to what I read being written about Muslims today. "To lie, cheat and swindle?" That's why we still have the verb "to Jew" someone, meaning to lie to them, to cheat or swindle them.

Oh. I didn't even know some Europeans said "to Jew". Is that commonly used, or just 'there'? There's still bouts of Xenophobia in the U.S (Now targeted from Islams, and such.) and racism is still breathing, but going that far to create a verb...
5flags (OP)

Professional anarchist

View Profile WWW
May 30, 2014, 06:51:03 AM

Oh. I didn't even know some Europeans said "to Jew". Is that commonly used, or just 'there'? There's still bouts of Xenophobia in the U.S (Now targeted from Islams, and such.) and racism is still breathing, but going that far to create a verb...

I still hear it in the UK, mostly from people of my generation and my parent's generation. For example, a footballer dives and a supporter shouts:

"Ignore him ref, he's jewing you!"

Most people don't even realise that it refers to Jews. Maybe 100 years from now we will call it "Musliming you" - that's progress for you.

The UK was a reasonably anti-Semitic place, anti-Semitism was actually one of the driving forces behind Britain's support for the creation of Israel. Lord Balfour was an anti-Semite, didn't like Jews and didn't want them coming to the UK, so he thought the creation of a Jewish state would mean he could redirect European Jews into Palestine, rather than seeing them in the UK.

Lethn
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
May 30, 2014, 06:51:15 AM

Fuck all supremacists.
acs267

View Profile
May 30, 2014, 06:54:21 AM

I still hear it in the UK, mostly from people of my generation and my parent's generation. For example, a footballer dives and a supporter shouts:

"Ignore him ref, he's jewing you!"

Most people don't even realise that it refers to Jews. Maybe 100 years from now we will call it "Musliming you" - that's progress for you.

The UK was a reasonably anti-Semitic place, anti-Semitism was actually one of the driving forces behind Britain's support for the creation of Israel. Lord Balfour was an anti-Semite, didn't like Jews and didn't want them coming to the UK, so he thought the creation of a Jewish state would mean he could redirect European Jews into Palestine, rather than seeing them in the UK.

That's interesting. Are there any strict laws on using slurs, or vulgar comments to different races or religions currently? Like fines, or is it unnoticed?
Lethn
Legendary

Activity: 1540

View Profile WWW
May 30, 2014, 07:00:21 AM

You haven't watched Top Gear much have you? Cheesy they regularly get into trouble over comments they make but I honestly believe they do it now to bait people who go around looking for something to complain about.

http://www.theguardian.com/media/2014/may/06/top-gear-jeremy-clarkson-slope-comment-bbc-ofcom

The funniest thing is, in the shot, you can actually SEE that the bridge is genuinely sloped where Hammond is pointing rofl, there certainly are laws and stuff about saying these kind of comments but I think there are people here who believe in free speech even more than the Americans.

There's being racist and then there's being stereotypical, most of the comments I've seen people complain about in the UK are usually people talking in stereotypes, not people being overtly racist, that footballer guy in the U.S for example definitely was racist, what was it the NBA? Yeah, that's how little I care about racism really.

I remember when I was taught about racism at school and I bet most people do, I seriously doubt they explained anything properly because I remember being taught that 'certain' words were wrong to use about a people or saying certain things but they never bothered going into detail, probably because they didn't know themselves. Attacking and being violent to someone because of their race or religious beliefs etc. definitely is racist for sure.
zetaray

Activity: 658

View Profile
May 30, 2014, 07:04:00 AM

It is a bit different with Muslims. Jews did not hijack planes, make car bombs or kidnap high school girls. Such comparison is unfair.

We all understand only a small percentage of Muslims are extremists, but they are impossible to identify by appearance, so fearful people choose to keep a distance.

.CryptoTotal.com.
                              l█████████▇▀
                              ████████▇▀
                              ███████▇▀
                              ██████▇▀
                              █████▇▀
                              ████▇▀
                              ███▇▀
                              ██▇▀
                              █▇▀
                              ▇▀
▇▇
▇▇

Express.Crypto.Checkout
Accepts Multiple Cryptos
Worldwide Shipping
5flags (OP)

Professional anarchist

View Profile WWW
May 30, 2014, 07:31:43 AM
Last edit: May 30, 2014, 08:15:03 AM by 5flags

It is a bit different with Muslims. Jews did not hijack planes, make car bombs or kidnap high school girls. Such comparison is unfair.

I think that's a bit disingenuous.

There is nothing in Islamic teachings today or in classical pre-modern Shariah which would justify kidnapping schoolgirls and selling them as slaves, and yet Boko Haram are viewed as Muslims, rather than just criminals / a cult.

Christians aren't discriminated against based on atrocities committed by Christian extremists. When the Lord's Resistance Army rapes, kidnaps, murders and maims tens of thousands of people, Christianity is seldom mentioned. It's only when atrocities are committed by Muslims that their religion becomes important.

Elwar
Legendary

Activity: 3598
Merit: 2386

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
May 30, 2014, 08:08:23 AM

The minority group that I belong to is being fought daily in Washington.

The smallest minority, otherwise known as the individual.

First seastead company actually selling sea homes: Ocean Builders https://ocean.builders  Of course we accept bitcoin.
Ron~Popeil

Activity: 406

View Profile
May 30, 2014, 03:13:22 PM

The extremists give Muslims a PR nightmare. Your average westerner knows very little about Muslims. The only time western media shills talk about Muslims is in the context of the acts of the extremists. 

acs267

View Profile
May 30, 2014, 03:49:14 PM

We all understand only a small percentage of Muslims are extremists, but they are impossible to identify by appearance, so fearful people choose to keep a distance.

Wow, that's a great way to justify using a small group of people, to identify the whole religion or race.

Americans: Hey, that one guy is ignorant to the fact America isn't that powerful. All Americans think that way.

British: I see a few people in Britain drinking tea, so everybody there likes tea.

How about this? Anybody can be a extremist. Probably more Muslims, if you credit that to your thought process, but if the guy you've been smiling with from Australia blows up with a plane... How would you tell this to the Muslim that you've been 'keeping your distance from' and patted him down constantly at Airport Security?
5flags (OP)

Professional anarchist

View Profile WWW
May 30, 2014, 03:49:35 PM

The extremists give Muslims a PR nightmare. Your average westerner knows very little about Muslims. The only time western media shills talk about Muslims is in the context of the acts of the extremists. 

Exactly. And when we have atrocities by other religious nuts, their religions aren't mentioned. The front cover of Edward Said's "Covering Islam" sums it up nicely:

Ron~Popeil

Activity: 406

View Profile
May 30, 2014, 04:00:25 PM

Wow, that's a great way to justify using a small group of people, to identify the whole religion or race.

Americans: Hey, that one guy is ignorant to the fact America isn't that powerful. All Americans think that way.

British: I see a few people in Britain drinking tea, so everybody there likes tea.

How about this? Anybody can be a extremist. Probably more Muslims, if you credit that to your thought process, but if the guy you've been smiling with from Australia blows up with a plane... How would you tell this to the Muslim that you've been 'keeping your distance from' and patted him down constantly at Airport Security?

I think their are a higher number of extremists in any culture in which there is a high degree of poverty as well. When you have nothing to lose it is easy to become radicalized. The key to ending Islamic terrorism is economic not military. You see the same thing on a more limited basis in the US with some of our minority populations. The fact that so many Muslims live in such poverty right beside such vast oil wealth is disgusting.

acs267

View Profile
May 30, 2014, 05:53:01 PM

I think their are a higher number of extremists in any culture in which there is a high degree of poverty as well. When you have nothing to lose it is easy to become radicalized. The key to ending Islamic terrorism is economic not military. You see the same thing on a more limited basis in the US with some of our minority populations. The fact that so many Muslims live in such poverty right beside such vast oil wealth is disgusting.

I agree. It's also stunning how after a certain war happened, in which the U.S gained more oil, people still think that only certain people can be terrorist. Some people cling to the idea of certain ideals and morals make terrorist, and also the way they dress make them extremists. Some media outlets also uphold these statements, and only post 'those' stories, in which, they don't talk about what the U.S or any other country has done to a degree. When I see some Muslim women where I live, people automatically want to stray away from them.

They think the way they dress automatically align them with our 'ideas' of extremists or terrorists.  Yet, if I told them the U.S basically stole soil to engage in a bigger source of wealth, they'll swear that the U.S was protecting us.
Snail2
Legendary

Activity: 1512

View Profile
May 30, 2014, 10:14:40 PM

"still infected with nationalism"?!? Thanks to God! There's still hope. Bad news for you mate: apart from the brainwashed liberals and leftist most of us here in Europe are indeed proud about our nations, our history, our traditions, our legacy and our achievements. Even worse news: from year to year more and more Europeans finding their way back to their roots.
Snail2
Legendary

Activity: 1512

View Profile
May 30, 2014, 10:16:13 PM

I agree. It's also stunning how after a certain war happened, in which the U.S gained more oil, people still think that only certain people can be terrorist. Some people cling to the idea of certain ideals and morals make terrorist, and also the way they dress make them extremists. Some media outlets also uphold these statements, and only post 'those' stories, in which, they don't talk about what the U.S or any other country has done to a degree. When I see some Muslim women where I live, people automatically want to stray away from them.

They think the way they dress automatically align them with our 'ideas' of extremists or terrorists.  Yet, if I told them the U.S basically stole soil to engage in a bigger source of wealth, they'll swear that the U.S was protecting us.

No smoke without fire I guess.
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: