Bitcoin Forum
June 26, 2024, 05:10:18 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: Does Bitcoin Require Regulations?
YES - 3 (6.1%)
NO - 46 (93.9%)
Total Voters: 49

Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Does Bitcoin Require Regulations?  (Read 3482 times)
Ron~Popeil

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 30, 2014, 11:28:15 PM

bitcoin does not need financial oversight, such as Fincen Fintrac, FCA etc

what is needed is that businesses follow the rules of consumer rights, better business bureau and all the other consumer/business stuff.

Precisely this.  Not only does it not need oversight, but because Bitcoin is global, a single sovereign government or smaller subsidiary body couldn't impose oversight upon it, even if it wanted to.  Plus there would likely be disagreements with other sovereign nations with what those oversights should or shouldn't be and they would never reach agreement anyway.  

Companies, on the other hand, are subject to the laws of the jurisdictions in which they operate.  Regulatory bodies should act upon any such business which aren't treating their customers well.  That should be more than sufficient in terms of how far regulation should go.

Exactly. We all ready have structures to protect consumers. We really don't need bit coin specific ones. It is all ready hard enough to operate a regular business in the western regulatory climate.   

johnyj
Legendary

Activity: 1988
Merit: 1012

Beyond Imagination

View Profile
May 31, 2014, 12:47:45 AM

You can regulate the bitcoin related exchange/business, but you can't really regulate bitcoin since it can travel across the whole internet. Currently all the government's regulation only apply domestically

Beliathon

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

https://youtu.be/PZm8TTLR2NU

View Profile WWW
May 31, 2014, 01:38:02 AM

Just so everyone is clear, "regulation" is a euphemism for government castration of Bitcoin.

No, Bitcoin does not need the same corrupt fuckers who ruined the dollar meddling with it, thanks.

Remember Aaron Swartz, a 26 year old computer scientist who died defending the free flow of information.
LostDutchman

Activity: 476

View Profile WWW
May 31, 2014, 02:38:51 AM

Just so everyone is clear, "regulation" is a euphemism for government castration of Bitcoin.

No, Bitcoin does not need the same corrupt fuckers who ruined the dollar meddling with it, thanks.

What you wrote!

Corporations For Crypto
Protect Your Assets and Reduce Your Tax Liability With A Kansas Corporation!
We Demand Justice From BFL
BetMoose

Activity: 372

Real Bets. Real People. By Anyone, on anything

View Profile WWW
May 31, 2014, 04:35:41 AM

Technology will be our regulator.

In cryptography we trust.

BetMoose.com - Wager on real world events. Profit from predicting the future. Create and share your own contracts.
LostDutchman

View Profile WWW
May 31, 2014, 10:41:59 AM

Now there is a very good thought!

Of course it has gone right over the heads of the gaming types.

Corporations For Crypto
jbreher
Legendary

Activity: 3038
Merit: 1660

lose: unfind ... loose: untight

View Profile
May 31, 2014, 06:14:27 PM

Math has been used for some pretty bad things throughout history.

It should not be regulated.

I forget the details, but some legislature somewhere enacted a law that pi would henceforth be exactly 3.14. I'm sure they were well-meaning, and they were just 'doing it for the children'.

But the could not see the folly in their regulation.

Such would be with Bitcoin regulation.

Anyone with a campaign ad in their signature -- for an organization with which they are not otherwise affiliated -- is automatically deducted credibility points.

I've been convicted of heresy. Convicted by a mere known extortionist. Read my Trust for details.
Denise520 (OP)

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 03, 2014, 01:54:36 AM

I've slowed down my frequent buying/selling of BTC due to the tax laws in the US.
Tax laws of BTC ?
LostDutchman

View Profile WWW
June 03, 2014, 01:55:53 AM

Yep.

Too late though.

A new "underground" cometh.

Corporations For Crypto
Denise520 (OP)

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 03, 2014, 02:03:31 AM

I agree with you to some extent. Technology will be our regulator.
jc01480

Activity: 854
Merit: 500

Nope..

View Profile
June 03, 2014, 02:27:03 AM

Yep.

Too late though.

I'll tell you this: regulation will kill it faster than a politician can kiss a baby.  The kiss of death.  And yes, a whole global underground cometh after that. 
LostDutchman

View Profile WWW
June 03, 2014, 02:31:34 AM

Yep.

Too late though.

I'll tell you this: regulation will kill it faster than a politician can kiss a baby.  The kiss of death.  And yes, a whole global underground cometh after that. 

Yep and I will be at the forefront but you will not know it is me.

Corporations For Crypto
jc01480

Activity: 854
Merit: 500

Nope..

View Profile
June 03, 2014, 02:33:48 AM

And what if it's me?  This town ain't big enough for two undergrounds, brother.
bryant.coleman
Legendary

Activity: 3696
Merit: 1217

View Profile
June 03, 2014, 11:58:56 AM

The best thing will be to create a Libertarian paradise, where there will be no regulations on the Bitcoin. If that is not possible, then let us welcome the regulations and laws on Bitcoin, in order to eliminate the taxation-related complications.
Kazimir
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1003

View Profile
June 03, 2014, 01:40:02 PM

I think there's a misconception here. Contrary to what some of you seem to think, Bitcoin is already regulated. However, unlike other types of money and payment systems, Bitcoin is not regulated by a single person or institute (like a central bank, or government, or politician) but by the transparent, crystal clear, universal mathematical and cryptographic set of rules that constitutes the backbone of Bitcoin.

This is a new paradigm for many people, especially for lawmakers. It's a new kind of regulation - and a better kind for that matter, as far as I'm concerned. Better as in: more equal to all participating parties (nobody in particular is in control, or everybody together), more transparent, more universal, and much less prone to corruption, abuse or fraud.

So, yes, Bitcoin needs regulation. And fortunately, in a very clever and innovative way, it comes packed with all the regulation we could wish for.

In theory, there's no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is.
Insert coin(s): 1KazimirL9MNcnFnoosGrEkmMsbYLxPPob

Activity: 165
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 03, 2014, 06:36:11 PM

Bitcoin doesnt require any sort of regulation at all. Thats why I like it.
Melbustus
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1003

View Profile
June 03, 2014, 06:56:58 PM

Exactly. Eventually, the radical transparency and funds-control offered by the blockchain and crypto will make much of what regulators do in the legacy financial system redundant. Proof-of-reserves, multi-sig, blockchain audits, etc, will allow consumers far more immediately verifiable information about the entities with which they choose to transact, plus more secure control of funds. Providing that sort of transparency and info to consumers was one of the main drivers for the existing regulatory body.

Bitcoin is the first monetary system to credibly offer perfect information to all economic participants.
franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4256
Merit: 4533

View Profile
June 03, 2014, 08:12:50 PM

Exactly. Eventually, the radical transparency and funds-control offered by the blockchain and crypto will make much of what regulators do in the legacy financial system redundant. Proof-of-reserves, multi-sig, blockchain audits, etc, will allow consumers far more immediately verifiable information about the entities with which they choose to transact, plus more secure control of funds. Providing that sort of transparency and info to consumers was one of the main drivers for the existing regulatory body.

bitcoin is not money. governments have said it out loud in the US, UK, and multiple countries of Europe. so they and all of us agree that bitcoin itself will no be regulated by financial regulators, because its an ASSET! (which is a good thing)

so lets close the book on discussions of financial regulation of bitcoin.

now then, the oversight of BUSINESSES however will be apparent, for exchanges that use FIAT deposits/withdrawals they have to follow the current FIAT rules. also the business ethics side (consumer rights) there are already agencies in place such as BBB(better business bureau) OFT(Office of Fair Trading) etc.

so as long as businesses run ethically and control FIAT responsibly, then bitcoin can be left to do what it does best.

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
LostDutchman

View Profile WWW
June 03, 2014, 08:16:23 PM

bitcoin is not money. governments have said it out loud in the US, UK, and multiple countries of Europe. so they and all of us agree that bitcoin itself  be regulated by financial regulators, because its an ASSET! (which is a good thing)

so lets close the book on discussions of financial regulation of bitcoin.

now then, the oversight of BUSINESSES however will be apparent, for exchanges that use FIAT deposits/withdrawals they have to follow the current FIAT rules. also the business ethics side (consumer rights) there are already agencies in place such as BBB(better business bureau) OFT(Office of Fair Trading) etc.

so as long as businesses run ethically and control FIAT responsibly, then bitcoin can be left to do what it does best.

"so as long as businesses run ethically and control FIAT responsibly......."

Yeah, right.

Leave Bitcoin alone anyway.

Corporations For Crypto
franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4256
Merit: 4533

View Profile
June 03, 2014, 08:31:40 PM

"so as long as businesses run ethically and control FIAT responsibly......."

Yeah, right.

Leave Bitcoin alone anyway.

your depth perception seems limited. Cheesy

personal bitcoin transactions will remain free to do whatever they want. same goes for personal loans, and other peer to peer stuff.. but businesses... ACTUAL businesses do need some ethics.

take BFL for instance. wouldnt you even agree that if BFL didn't do the 1 year 'pre-order' but instead only offered pre-orders for no longer then a month (which is an acceptable reasonable time in regards to BBB policy) then consumers would be happier.

take intersango for instance, if as a business they had to register a business with companies house and get audited, wouldn't you and everyone have been happier that they were legit and be held legally accountable

in both cases these 'companies' acted like dodgy hobbyists taking large sums and acting like they are not accountable for anything.

this is not about bitcoin. this is about businesses treating customers correctly

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: