Bitcoin Forum
June 16, 2024, 08:17:10 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Need help with centOS repair  (Read 500 times)
st4nl3y (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1050
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 30, 2014, 09:02:54 AM

Hello

My VPS crashed after updating some libraries and I need help repairing the files. I am able to boot as root in rescue mode but I am not an experienced user. I am offering a small bounty of 0.01 for help restoring my centOS. I read I can repair system files with fsck but don't know how. Any help would be much appreciated. Thank you
st4nl3y (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
May 30, 2014, 09:35:21 AM

Try

fsck -yvf /dev/sda1

Should solve your issues

i am getting:

#fsck -yvf /dev/sda1

fsck from util-linux 2.20.1
e2fsck 1.42.5 (29-Jul-2012)
fsck.ext2: No such file or directory while trying to open /dev/sda1
Possibly non-existent device?
hardshot

Activity: 457
Merit: 251

View Profile
May 30, 2014, 10:19:30 AM

What is exactly your problem?

You can't boot normally, but boot in rescue mode..
Okay, but that doesn't mean that your files are corupt.

So I think a fsck is unnecessary.
Foxpup
Legendary

Activity: 4396
Merit: 3062

Vile Vixen and Miss Bitcointalk 2021-2023

View Profile
May 30, 2014, 11:24:45 AM

I read I can repair system files with fsck but don't know how.
You read wrong. fsck is for repairing filesystems, not system files, and thus will not help you. If you insist on running it anyway, the correct invocation is:
Code:
fsck /
since VPS users aren't (or at least, shouldn't be!) able to access raw partitions.

It won't help, though, since it's extremely unlikely your problem is due to a corrupt filesystem. More likely, the upgraded libraries simply don't work. What you really need to do is determine which libraries are broken and why (error messages are very helpful here). You may be able to fix the issue by downgrading to an older version of the libraries in question. That's all I can suggest without knowing what the problem specifically is.

Will pretend to do unspeakable things (while actually eating a taco) for bitcoins: 1K6d1EviQKX3SVKjPYmJGyWBb1avbmCFM4
I am not on the scammers' paradise known as Telegram! Do not believe anyone claiming to be me off-forum without a signed message from the above address! Accept no excuses and make no exceptions!
Bitsky

Activity: 576
Merit: 514

View Profile
May 30, 2014, 12:17:47 PM

Paste the error messages you are seeing if you boot normally

Without any information, it's just guessing.

When you boot into single user, you can look into /var/log/messages or dmesg to see what's going on.

Also, what did you do? A normal yum update should not break anything like that

Bounty: Earn up to 68.7 BTC
Like my post? Feel free to drop a tip to 1BitskyZbfR4irjyXDaGAM2wYKQknwX36Y
st4nl3y (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
May 30, 2014, 01:13:54 PM

ok, thanks everyone for being helpful. turned out i messed up all major libraries like glibc and libstdc++ but luckily the script i used did some backups so i was able to fix it. you can all visit my dice sites to grab some free satoshi tips Wink
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: