Bitcoin Forum
May 11, 2024, 05:54:06 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Idea: A fund for an alternative Bitcoin development team.  (Read 7981 times)
Jon (OP)
Donator

Activity: 98
Merit: 12

No Gods; No Masters; Only You

View Profile
February 09, 2012, 03:53:21 AM

I am seeing a lot of complaints about the current Bitcoin development powers that be.

The question is does the desire for a new development team with an agenda independent of Mr. Andresen's and friends truly exist? Is it big enough?

If so, Bitcoin shareholders should have little issue raising the money for another team.

The Communists say, equal labour entitles man to equal enjoyment. No, equal labour does not entitle you to it, but equal enjoyment alone entitles you to equal enjoyment. Enjoy, then you are entitled to enjoyment. But, if you have laboured and let the enjoyment be taken from you, then – ‘it serves you right.’ If you take the enjoyment, it is your right.
"With e-currency based on cryptographic proof, without the need to trust a third party middleman, money can be secure and transactions effortless." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
BitPay Business Solutions

Activity: 742
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
February 09, 2012, 04:07:15 AM

Gavin is the right guy to lead the team.  "herding cats" is not an easy task.

Developers are free to make their own lightweight or mobile clients, which are also needed in the bitcoin world.

BitPay : The World Leader in Bitcoin Business Solutions

https://bitpay.com

Does your website accept bitcoins?
Jon (OP)
Donator

View Profile
February 09, 2012, 04:11:15 AM
Last edit: February 09, 2012, 04:23:53 AM by Boss

Gavin is the right guy to lead the team.  "herding cats" is not an easy task.

Developers are free to make their own lightweight or mobile clients, which are also needed in the bitcoin world.

As a significant shareholder, I disagree. If Bitcoin was a company and had a board, I would of asked for Gavin's resignation long ago.

Gavin gives me the impression of a tinkerer, an experimenter, a hobbyist. When it comes to Bitcoin being made as a product for human beings, I find him completely lacking. He's not a business person and he admits that shamelessly. What Bitcoin needs more than ever is the human element.

I am confident people will inevitably agree and act upon this -- far beyond simple clients.

The Communists say, equal labour entitles man to equal enjoyment. No, equal labour does not entitle you to it, but equal enjoyment alone entitles you to equal enjoyment. Enjoy, then you are entitled to enjoyment. But, if you have laboured and let the enjoyment be taken from you, then – ‘it serves you right.’ If you take the enjoyment, it is your right.
fornit

Activity: 991
Merit: 1008

View Profile
February 09, 2012, 04:44:37 AM

As a significant shareholder, I disagree. If Bitcoin was a company and had a board, I would of asked for Gavin's resignation long ago.

but oh wait...it isnt. and you are not a shareholder. you are just some random noob claiming to be of overaverage importance.

Gavin gives me the impression of a tinkerer, an experimenter, a hobbyist. When it comes to Bitcoin being made as a product for human beings, I find him completely lacking.

you have to make it work before you make it pretty.

He's not a business person and he admits that shamelessly. What Bitcoin needs more than ever is the human element.

business - human element ... oxymoron anyone?  Wink

Jon (OP)
Donator

View Profile
February 09, 2012, 04:51:40 AM

but oh wait...it isnt. and you are not a shareholder. you are just some random noob claiming to be of overaverage importance.

Gavin gives me the impression of a tinkerer, an experimenter, a hobbyist. When it comes to Bitcoin being made as a product for human beings, I find him completely lacking.

He's not a business person and he admits that shamelessly. What Bitcoin needs more than ever is the human element.

business - human element ... oxymoron anyone?  Wink

The function of a tool and its interface are one. A tool that cannot be successfully and easily used is not a functional tool at all. Is not the purpose of technology to make tasks easier and more efficient? Anyways, as far as I'm concerned, Bitcoin works very well internally.  Bitcoin has proven to be stable software.

True businesses have always excelled at serving humanity. The ones who don't inevitably fail. Corporations and states are another story.

adamstgBit
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1037

Trusted Bitcoiner

View Profile WWW
February 09, 2012, 04:53:27 AM

his idea isn't as ridiculous as you make it out to be, you know the saying you get what you pay for, if we all pay 100$ for a new bitcoin client maybe it will be better... but i dont think you could sell the software if open source code was used to make it.

maybe a better solution would be to hire more help for the current team?

but they always said that adding more people to a project make things move slower....

na i take it all back, I've seen Linux grow up, their nothing stronger then free open source software.

Littleshop
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1003

View Profile WWW
February 09, 2012, 04:57:33 AM

Fund it yourself then!  It is a known standard, go at it.

SAC

Activity: 322
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 09, 2012, 04:58:50 AM

but i dont think you could sell the software if open source code was used to make it.

You can sell open source code the problem with doing that for bitcoin is the Berkeley DB it uses would need an upgrade to a commercial license to be able to sell it.
gregwtmtno

Activity: 77
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 09, 2012, 05:10:17 AM

I don't think the dev team gets enough credit. Remember that time the client had a security vulnerability and a bunch of people lost their money? Me neither.
adamstgBit
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1037

Trusted Bitcoiner

View Profile WWW
February 09, 2012, 05:15:11 AM

I don't think the dev team gets enough credit. Remember that time the client had a security vulnerability and a bunch of people lost their money? Me neither.
+1

Steve

Activity: 868
Merit: 1007

View Profile WWW
February 09, 2012, 05:15:30 AM

Gavin gives me the impression of a tinkerer, an experimenter, a hobbyist. When it comes to Bitcoin being made as a product for human beings, I find him completely lacking. He's not a business person and he admits that shamelessly. What Bitcoin needs more than ever is the human element.
I don't think you know Gavin.  That said, diversity in client implementations is not a bad thing.

(gasteve on IRC) Does your website accept cash? https://bitpay.com
D.H.

Activity: 311

Bitcoin.se site owner

View Profile WWW
February 09, 2012, 07:24:56 AM

If Bitcoin was a company and had a board, I would of asked for Gavin's resignation long ago.

You talk about a new development team and then you say that Gavin is not a business person. If Bitcoin was a company then the guy developing the core functionality of the product wouldn't be the one selling it.

We have typical sales people too you know, look here. Or here.

www.bitcoin.se - Forum, nyheter och information på svenska! (Forum, news and information in Swedish)
istar

Activity: 523

View Profile
February 09, 2012, 07:59:21 AM

Gavin has been doing an excellent work. The priority is security and protocol changes first and thats a very good priority.

A lot of people have compromised PC:s.
Bitcoin would just look bad if the first thing that happened was that most people lost their coins.

When it comes to the UI the useability of the client is not that bad most people should be able to use it without any problem.

Whats really is bad from a user point is the huge block download, people will think it sucks, but my guess is that it will also
be adressed.
But I would rather see that the client got support for easy mining in order to increase the security.

Than you have URI support.

Even if some of the other clients would get much better most  people will not find them at first.
Judging the whole Bitcoin concept only on the standard client.

But it would not hurt to have more people work in parallel at some of the other things and look at the code.

Bitcoins - Because we should not pay to use our money
finway

Activity: 714

View Profile
February 09, 2012, 08:05:05 AM

Gavin's good!

Andrew Vorobyov

Activity: 558

View Profile
February 09, 2012, 08:49:27 AM

Have you ever tried funding primary development team? Just curious
minimalB
Donator

Activity: 674
Merit: 522

View Profile
February 09, 2012, 08:56:44 AM

Whats really is bad from a user point is the huge block download, people will think it sucks, but my guess is that it will also
be adressed.

This is pretty much the only thing that is not optimal.
SimonL

Activity: 113
Merit: 11

View Profile
February 09, 2012, 08:58:31 AM

business - human element ... oxymoron anyone?  Wink

The function of a tool and its interface are one. A tool that cannot be successfully and easily used is not a functional tool at all. Is not the purpose of technology to make tasks easier and more efficient? Anyways, as far as I'm concerned, Bitcoin works very well internally.  Bitcoin has proven to be stable software.

True businesses have always excelled at serving humanity. The ones who don't inevitably fail. Corporations and states are another story.

I doubt you have ever taken the time to really understand where Gavin is coming from. He personally funded the faucet, and literally poured at least a couple thousand Bitcoins into that, and he simply did that to generate more interest in Bitcoin. If that were the only thing he had done, I would consider him one of the most invested proponents of Bitcoin based on that alone. If you are THAT invested in Bitcoin, then maybe you should front up some of this funding yourself, and better yet, rather than dividing developer's efforts by stringing them along with $$$ for your personal agenda, why don't you start SUPPORTING the developers that got Bitcoin to where it is now rather than putting them down. Gavin has cemented his reputation as a generous, genial, transparent, and technically adept developer with regards to leading Bitcoin forward. Now YOU come along to destabilize all his effort because he's not a "business person". All I can say is thank this good green earth he ISN'T. If this project had ever been an enterprise it would be dead.

Gavin, if you ever read this, KEEP DOING WHAT YOU'RE DOING!
memvola

Activity: 938
Merit: 1002

View Profile
February 09, 2012, 09:20:10 AM

his idea isn't as ridiculous as you make it out to be, you know the saying you get what you pay for, if we all pay 100$ for a new bitcoin client maybe it will be better... but i dont think you could sell the software if open source code was used to make it.

maybe a better solution would be to hire more help for the current team?

but they always said that adding more people to a project make things move slower....

na i take it all back, I've seen Linux grow up, their nothing stronger then free open source software.

What he's saying is ridiculous, and you actually explained why. It's essential that "core" Bitcoin development continues in the open source spirit. Their job is the specification and the network, bitcoind's role is merely as a reference implementation. Anyone can fund a Bitcoin development team that considers it from a business perspective and build a better client, but the core development endeavor should never be tainted by such an approach.

On the other hand, there are similar ideas roaming around that are akin to what OP is saying. For instance we can hire security experts to do audits on the system. I think independent reports would increase trust in the underlying system. Bounties per exploit are probably a bad idea though, since they could create a conflict of interest.
N12
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1610
Merit: 1010

View Profile
February 09, 2012, 11:43:48 AM

Atlas, is that you? Grin
reg

Activity: 463

View Profile
February 09, 2012, 12:12:31 PM

as a complete outsider (almost) I have a few BTC, I like it just the way it is!. As a non technical person Its a little cumbersome to use and I appreciate the need to upgrade the security issues so Gavin +1. Anything at all that sounds like the system we are currently in after thousands of years of human development for humans is a no-no for me, ie: "a fund" , "operate like a business", "significant investor", central control, or any association with the current systems malfunctioning terminology or methodology is not helpful .  reg.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: