Bitcoin Forum
June 24, 2024, 10:12:26 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Using ONE wallet on TWO computers via paper backup  (Read 456 times)
awesome31312 (OP)

Activity: 826
Merit: 504

View Profile
May 30, 2014, 10:20:18 AM

Hi guys. I have two laptops. One contains my actual wallet and armory, while the other has only armory. I made a paper backup to use on the computer that doesn't have the wallet, and when I did the backup, it says "restored" and in security it shows "No encryption". So I had a couple of questions:

1) I already had an encryption passphrase on my wallet, why does it then ask to set up a passphrase again when I'm backing up my wallet on the new computer?

2) Will using one wallet on two different machines through paper backup cause me to lose my Bitcoins in any way? I'm having a hard time understanding how this works. Does the paper backup hold my Bitcoins or what? For example, if I use my wallet on the other computer, will the wallet be empty after being recovered?

Account recovered 08-12-2019
Sydboy

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 30, 2014, 10:34:59 AM

i may be wrong in terminology lol but the paper wallet holds the private keys for your public key.
the public key has the bitcoins, or no bitcoins.

the paper backup does not know about bitcoin-qt or armoury passwords, just the private key.

you need to be careful with paper backup. if you load it on bitcoin-qt and send the change will go to another address i believe, and not to your address that send the coins. now remember your paper backup only holds the private key to the public key that send the funds, not the public key that the change got send to.
Coiner.de

Activity: 773
Merit: 531

View Profile
May 30, 2014, 08:22:55 PM

The paper backup holds the key to generate all your private keys.

https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Deterministic_wallet

No wallet holds bitcoins. The blockchain does this.

Normally clients get awfully confused if used with the same wallet on multiple computers.
Armory may behave a little better but consider your address book and transaction comments. These will not sync between your computers.
I recommend to use online Armory on one computer only.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: