Bitcoin Forum
May 12, 2024, 11:12:52 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: What's with DARKCOIN?  (Read 1554 times)
Hyena (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2114
Merit: 1013

View Profile WWW
May 30, 2014, 11:51:16 AM

Should I diversify to darkcoin or is it rather all buzz as it was with AuroraCoin for example? They are technically very different of course but would dark coin in any way be superior to all the others?

Darkcoin uses a new chained hashing algorithm approach, with many new scientific hashing algorithms for the proof-of-work.

Had they implemented Proof of Stake hybrid instead of purely PoW I'd believe in them but right now they don't seem very superior. A superior coin would be PeerCoin with anonymous transactions. Can PeerCoin be upgraded for that? If so then I'd say DarkCoin is not going to rule them all.

What say you?

★★★ CryptoGraffiti.info ★★★ Hidden Messages Found from the Block Chain (Thread)
"Governments are good at cutting off the heads of a centrally controlled networks like Napster, but pure P2P networks like Gnutella and Tor seem to be holding their own." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
TERA

Activity: 728
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 30, 2014, 11:55:39 AM

1. It is currently trading higher than litecoin

2. It rose over a thousand percent in the past 2 months.

3. It is only a couple months old (in IPO rally mode)

4. It has 2 million coins instamined

5. It forked the other day and masternodes had to be taken down, so it's fundamentals are even being called into question.

I'll let you decide...
Hyena (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2114
Merit: 1013

View Profile WWW
May 30, 2014, 11:58:28 AM

5. It forked the other day and masternodes had to be taken down, so it's fundamentals are even being called into question.

I'll let you decide...

Thanks, I was not aware of these but that's all I needed to hear.

★★★ CryptoGraffiti.info ★★★ Hidden Messages Found from the Block Chain (Thread)
newuser01

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 30, 2014, 11:59:51 AM

nothing really

just hype..
Mervyn_Pumpkinhead
Legendary

Activity: 876
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 30, 2014, 12:00:25 PM

I think that DRK has potential in certain fields, where BTC used to be useful. Anyway, it's always good to see new cryptos, that actually bring something new to the equation.
I agree with you, that pure PoW is foolish in the long term and PoS hybrids have an more advanced concept.
DRK is more similar to QRK, not AUR, by bringing technological advancements, not differences in distribution. But it has more potential, since the technological differences of QRK were gimmicks, but differences of DRK have more practical value.

▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓
▓▓▓▓▓▓░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▓▓▓▓▓▓
▓▓▓▓▓▓   ░         ░                 ▓▓▓▓▓▓
▓▓▓▓▓▓   ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓   ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓   ▓▓▓▓▓▓
▓▓▓▓▓▓   ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓   ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓   ▓▓▓▓▓▓
▓▓▓▓▓▓   ▓▓░     ▓▓▓   ▓▓▓     ▓▓▓   ▓▓▓▓▓▓
▓▓▓▓▓▓   ▓▓▓▓▓   ▓▓▓   ▓▓▓   ▓▓▓▓▓   ▓▓▓▓▓▓
▓▓▓▓▓▓   ░▓▓▓▓   ▓▓▓   ▓▓▓   ▓▓▓▓    ▓▓▓▓▓▓
▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓    ▓▓   ▓▓▓   ▓▓▓   ▓▓    ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓
▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓       ▓▓▓   ▓▓▓       ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓
▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓     ▓▓▓   ▓▓▓     ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓
▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓   ▓▓▓   ▓▓▓  ░▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓
▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓░▓▓▓   ▓▓▓░▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓
▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓   ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓
▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓░░▒▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓
Totle: DEX Aggregator 

▄████▄▄    ▄
██             ████████████▀
████▄         █████████████▀
▀████████▄▄   █████████████
▄▄█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
  ▀██████████████████████
   █████████████████████
    ▀█████████████████▀
      ▄█████████████▀
▄▄███████████████▀
   ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

▄▄▄▄▄▄
    ▄████████
    █████▀▀▀▀
   ▐████
   ▐████
████████████
████████████
   ▐████
   ▐████
   ▐████
   ▐████
   ▐████

▓███    █████   
                    █     ▓█▒   █   
                   ██       ██▒██   
                   █                
            █████████████           
   ████████░             ░████████  
  █░ ░██                     ▒█▒  ██
  █░██     ░▓▓▓▒      ▓▓▓▒     ░█ ██
   ██      ▒▓▓▓▓     ▒▓▓▓▓      ██  
   ██        ░░        ░░       ▒█  
    █░                          █   
     █▓      ██░      ██░     ░█    
       ██░       ████      ░██      
          ████████████████    

▄▄████
                ▄▄▄████████▌
          ▄▄▄███████▀▄█████
     ▄▄█████████▀▀ ▄██████▌
▄▄███████████▀  ▄█████████
 ▀▀▀█████▀    ▄██████████▌
       ██   █████████████
        █▄ █████████████▌
        ▐█▄███▀▀████████
         ███▀    ▀▀████▌
                    ▀▀█
jabo38
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1001

mining is so 2012-2013

View Profile WWW
May 30, 2014, 12:05:59 PM

It offers the chance to be "anonymous" but really I am not completely convinced.  I can't help that the NSA could just set up a node and see what was going on.  

I also won't be investing in it.  Its price is way to suspicious and bumpy, especially for a code that has forked!  I think some big players with big connections are doing a big pump to leave lots of bag holders.  

Essentially, all they did was put the "coin join" code for bitcoin into the dark protocol, and changed the algorithm tweak.  But they haven't actually done anything new.  Just copied an algorithm other coins are using and copied coin join both into one coin and now it is "revolutionary".  The only thing revolutionary about it to me is the communities ability to talk it up and up and up.  My guess they are just doing that to let of flop.  

aleix
Legendary

Activity: 1779
Merit: 1100

View Profile
May 30, 2014, 12:07:51 PM

don't listen anyone. Just do your homework :

http://wiki.darkcoin.eu/wiki/FAQ
http://darkcointalk.org
http://www.darkcoin.io

Greed and envy is high for who lost the darkcoin train  Wink
newuser01

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 30, 2014, 12:11:43 PM
Last edit: May 30, 2014, 12:28:18 PM by newuser01

I think that DRK has potential in certain fields, where BTC used to be useful. Anyway, it's always good to see new cryptos, that actually bring something new to the equation.
I agree with you, that pure PoW is foolish in the long term and PoS hybrids have an more advanced concept.
DRK is more similar to QRK, not AUR, by bringing technological advancements, not differences in distribution. But it has more potential, since the technological differences of QRK were gimmicks, but differences of DRK have more practical value.

PoS is not very secure compared to PoW - afaik all pure PoS coin have forked at least once, most multiple times

you need at least hybrid PoW+PoS to make the network secure and even then pure PoW is better

it is disturbing that people think PoS is just as secure as PoW with the bonus that you stake coins instead of energy cost.. that is not true..

many pure PoS (and even a few hybrids) will die off when people see how easy it is to double spend
jabo38
Legendary

mining is so 2012-2013

View Profile WWW
May 30, 2014, 12:28:24 PM

PoS is not very secure compared to PoW - afaik all pure PoS coin have forked at least once, most multiple times

you need at least hybrid PoW+PoS to make the network secure and even then pure PoW is better

it is disturbing that people think PoS is just as secure as PoW with the bonus that you stake coins instead of energy cost.. that is not true..

I think many pure PoS (and even a few hybrids) will die off when people see how easy it is to double spend

If somebody double spends on NXT, I will dump like a maniac.  But........ there are lots of NXT haters, more so than the POW pump and dump coins of the day.  LOTS OF HATERS.  The POW clones are constantly getting forked, yet NXT hasn't had a double spend yet.  On top of that NXT has been attacked many times already with DOS and other attacks yet keeps on ticking.  The code is open source, so it shouldn't be all that hard for some big boys to figure out. So, when is all this POS insecurity and double spending going to happen?

jabo38
Legendary

mining is so 2012-2013

View Profile WWW
May 30, 2014, 12:30:46 PM

again... NXT has not been forked or double spent, and Darkcoin has.  Which is more insecure so far?

Kai Proctor

Activity: 546
Merit: 500

01100100 01100001 01110011 01101000

View Profile
May 30, 2014, 12:59:50 PM

again... NXT has not been forked or double spent, and Darkcoin has.  Which is more insecure so far?

Insecure ? You are I believe, seeing the time you spend spreading FUD giving advice for free without a hidden agenda. Bye.
ImI
Legendary

Activity: 1946
Merit: 1019

View Profile
May 30, 2014, 01:04:17 PM

At the moment i can no undestand why it is going up ! It is not even anonymous anymore ! The dev could not fix the masternode code ?

stop spreading bullshit.

darksend, which is the anonymous part of darkcoin, works flawlessly. only thing that will be setup anew is masternode-payments.
jabo38
Legendary

mining is so 2012-2013

View Profile WWW
May 30, 2014, 01:38:13 PM

Insecure ? You are I believe, seeing the time you spend spreading FUD giving advice for free without a hidden agenda. Bye.

How is a question advice?  I am looking for additional information.  I would like an honest answer.

goochie

Activity: 12
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 30, 2014, 01:58:32 PM

coin fundamentals, community, big news, whales, pump&dumps, bots. you'll never know whether the current price is justified, nor if it will go up or down. that's why it's called "speculation".

should you invest in drk? no.
should you find good entry and exit points? fuck yes!

educate yourself, read up on forex/pennystocks and try to apply that knowledge in the crypto world.
lotosminer

Activity: 137
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 30, 2014, 02:12:21 PM

People just moved to XC and BOST, that's it Smiley

Free SIGNs giving everyday. Be part, do not miss!. SqDH9nmCWyP1yUM9J3ZhUiQ9kc8aotqPZL
QORA | 2ND GEN | NEW SOURCE CODE | QZBa56NpqpodoZBqhE314m7VxQi7fR4atQ
frankilo

Activity: 7

View Profile
May 30, 2014, 02:16:29 PM

This is not the first time I seen the statement that PoS coins are insecure. But no one provided conclusive proof yet.
"I just know PoW is better" kind of arguments are not that convincing. Usually it means, that "I have lots of mining hardware".
SOEHARTO

Activity: 28

View Profile
May 30, 2014, 02:22:51 PM

i hear they have problem  with some security .
hope the price back to up 0.023++ dont be like this ....
lynn_402

Activity: 462
Merit: 253

View Profile
May 30, 2014, 02:30:13 PM

This is not the first time I seen the statement that PoS coins are insecure. But no one provided conclusive proof yet.
"I just know PoW is better" kind of arguments are not that convincing. Usually it means, that "I have lots of mining hardware".

I agree. 51% attacks on altcoins are far more common than attacks on PoS coin, I'm not sure one ever was successful.
human

Activity: 197
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 30, 2014, 02:30:40 PM

I'll let you decide...

5 good reasons you should look into Monero or Boolberry which are no Bitcoin clones.

Both are build on cryptonote (CN) technology and offer real anonymous transactions. The blockchain can not be analyzed. Check them out. They will swap soon their place with DRK because they are technologically far superior!

Following a quote from https://cryptonote.org/

In a mass surveillance world we develop and promote new approaches to further decentralize
and emancipate cryptocurrencies. We use advanced mathematical analysis and innovative ideas to empower
end-users with true privacy, both financial and personal.
We share our ideas to shift the current global paradigm through cryptography and egalitarianism.
kaene

Activity: 784
Merit: 1005

View Profile
May 30, 2014, 02:31:46 PM

What's with DARKCOIN?

It's simple, people are investing now because it's still a project in progress, because they believe later it will get much more expensive. It's up to you if you want to "risk" now or get in once it's not a project in progress but a reality.

Most important additions over BTC are the anonymous feature (modification of coinjoin plus extra encryption yet to come) and the masternodes (very attractive passive income and huge ROI if the coin is a success).

http://wiki.darkcoin.eu/wiki/FAQ
http://darkcointalk.org
http://www.darkcoin.io
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: