Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 02:40:47 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Is merged mining going to have excessive overhead as Bitcoin grows?  (Read 627 times)
DeathAndTaxes (OP)
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
May 30, 2014, 05:29:00 PM
Last edit: May 30, 2014, 08:20:25 PM by DeathAndTaxes

Merge mining is an awesome concept which can "reuse" the existing Bitcoin infrastructure to secure multiple blockchain type systems (not all of which need to be "currencies").  As currently implemented I believe it will not be a viable option for new chains as Bitcoin tx volume grows.  Correction: overhead grows only by the log of the tx volume so this is less of an issue although the overhead could be dropped further.

To link the aux chain to the bitcoin PoW the block hash of the aux chain needs to be encoded in the bitcoin block.  As the bitcoin block structure has no field for holding arbitrary values it is encoded in the coinbase transaction.  To link the coinbase tx to the merkle root hash in the blockheader requires recording the merkle branch.  The size of the merkle branch in bytes is (32 * num_txns / 2). (32 * log2(num_txns).  

One way to improve the efficiency of merged mining would be to add an fixed length "aux" 32 byte field to the blockheader.  This would make the bitcoin block header marginally larger but wouldn't make the full block any larger.  The bitcoin protocol can be extended by introducing a new version of the block header. It would be optimal to bundle a number of changes together in the next version of the blockheader.

Some ideas on how the blockheader can be extended in a manner which doesn't break compatibility with existing ASIC infrastructure:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=626377.0

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Be very wary of relying on JavaScript for security on crypto sites. The site can change the JavaScript at any time unless you take unusual precautions, and browsers are not generally known for their airtight security.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
maaku
Legendary
expert

Activity: 905
Merit: 1011

View Profile
May 30, 2014, 05:55:20 PM

Size of the merkle hash tree proof is logarithmic not linear.

I'm an independent developer working on bitcoin-core, making my living off community donations.
If you like my work, please consider donating yourself: 13snZ4ZyCzaL7358SmgvHGC9AxskqumNxP
DeathAndTaxes (OP)
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
May 30, 2014, 07:26:47 PM

Size of the merkle hash tree proof is logarithmic not linear.

Thanks.   That does make the overhead much more manageable
4200 tx = CEIL(LOG2(4200)) = 14 * 32 = 448 bytes

I still think an "aux" field does merit some consideration if/when block header is updated.  Bitcoin also benefits through the use of merged mining. Anything that lowers the barrier for adoption over other methods helps to secure the Bitcoin chain by not diverting resources towards incompatible security systems.
acoindr
Legendary

Activity: 1050
Merit: 1002

View Profile
May 30, 2014, 11:02:30 PM

...  Bitcoin also benefits through the use of merged mining. Anything that lowers the barrier for adoption over other methods helps to secure the Bitcoin chain by not diverting resources towards incompatible security systems.

I agree merged mining can be beneficial, possibly even critical, to complementary block chains. As you point out it's a win-win by sharing resources to different tasks.

Peter Todd gave an interesting perspective on a LTB episode which is merged mining can encourage mining centralization. This is due to conflicting incentive vs resource requirements to merged mine. Independent miners need to maintain updated block chains for every coin mined which can offset monetary gains, whereas pools can manage the overhead while still offering the gains. The more chains providing incentive to merged mine, the greater the incentive to join a pool, especially one offering the most chains, undermining things like P2Pool.

I'm thinking (and hoping) we'll see many more pools spring up to counter the recurring theme of a single pool or a few comprising worrying percentages of global hashrate. However, I think it's also healthy to have a large number of independent miners. A healthy mix of pools, enterprise miners, hobbyists and independents I think is probably best. Just something to consider.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: