Bitcoin Forum
June 15, 2024, 06:26:26 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: How much should i invest?  (Read 531 times)
gondel (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1946
Merit: 1005

View Profile
May 31, 2014, 08:55:43 AM

Hello,
Recently i am thinking about investing some money in mining hardware. How much should i put in such engagement? I know it depends, but i dont want to put all my savings..with what kind of money should i start and what recompnsation should i expect?
BR
Bicknellski

Activity: 924
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 31, 2014, 08:58:28 AM

Hello,
Recently i am thinking about investing some money in mining hardware. How much should i put in such engagement? I know it depends, but i dont want to put all my savings..with what kind of money should i start and what recompnsation should i expect?
BR

Learn a lot before investing anything please.

Start small. Read Lots. Good Luck.

Read this: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=504530.0
and this: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=456691.0

And keep asking questions. Find a mentor who has bought equipment and mined before. Given the difficulties now it not as simple as buying hardware there are ample numbers of opportunities and pitfalls beyond BTC mining with other cryptocurrencies. Do not put anything in unless you are ok with losing it all. That is not an idle warning. Many people have lost everything they have put into mining equipment waiting on delivery etc. It is not something you just want to dive into. You have to really find a mentor to guide you through it.

Dogie trust abuse, spam, bullying, conspiracy posts & insults to forum members. Ask the mods or admins to move Dogie's spam or off topic stalking posts to the link above.
rammy2k2
Legendary

Activity: 1974
Merit: 1003

View Profile
May 31, 2014, 08:59:43 AM

read, learn, takes time ...
gondel (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1946

View Profile
May 31, 2014, 09:41:22 AM

Hello,
BR

And keep asking questions. Find a mentor who has bought equipment and mined before. Given the difficulties now it not as simple as buying hardware there are ample numbers of opportunities and pitfalls beyond BTC mining with other cryptocurrencies. Do not put anything in unless you are ok with losing it all. That is not an idle warning. Many people have lost everything they have put into mining equipment waiting on delivery etc. It is not something you just want to dive into. You have to really find a mentor to guide you through it.
Thanks for the usefull information Smiley
Of course i am not going to put money on something i dont know. I am starting with a very succesful bussiness right now. I have the first hair salloon for kids in Bulgaria and i am accepting BTC ( i know what i am doing), but i want to invest a little in mining just as a hobby .
Bicknellski

View Profile
May 31, 2014, 10:16:40 AM

Hello,
BR

Thanks for the usefull information Smiley
Of course i am not going to put money on something i dont know. I am starting with a very succesful bussiness right now. I have the first hair salloon for kids in Bulgaria and i am accepting BTC ( i know what i am doing), but i want to invest a little in mining just as a hobby .

To get familiar with mining I would suggest starting with a small thumb driver miner or gridseed scrypt miner. Buy one or two of those and learn what is required to keep them mining. From that start exploring in Bulgaria other people who are mining Bitcoin / Cryptocoins and meet with them and learn about their operations. From that then you can look at what is required to purchase more mining power, the electrical costs and space required. As time goes on the main factors are the cost of the electricity and space as well as the efficiency of the miners themselves.

I do not know anyone I could say is a good mentor from Bulgaria but maybe other people here can... that be the easiest way to get into mining as you can learn a lot from others who have made all the mistakes before. Go slow at first until you understand the difficulty of mining. Most reasonable people will say there is little or nothing in mining that is "profitable" and there are certainly more ways to lose your investment than to grow your investment. I wish you luck and keep coming back and asking questions.

Have a look here at this thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=600368.0

He has 3 million dollars to invest supposedly... and this is what the community recommends.

If you are hobby miner then it is simple.

1. Get some small easy to operate miners for fun. Gridseed or some V3 open source thumb miners are decent.
2. Then move up to a single large miner like a Spondoolies Tech SP15 or SP30 or Bitmain S2s are ok I think as they are faily low priced.

That should be enough at that point to see if you want to bigger and get really invested or look at your losses and sell those units off and you won't have spent more than a few thousand USD on the whole thing.

Dogie trust abuse, spam, bullying, conspiracy posts & insults to forum members. Ask the mods or admins to move Dogie's spam or off topic stalking posts to the link above.
raskul

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 31, 2014, 10:42:47 AM

also a note to consider; when buying anything from abroad, make sure you anticipate paying the full customs charges applicable.

and avoid anything that comes out of china  Undecided

tips    1APp826DqjJBdsAeqpEstx6Q8hD4urac8a
Bicknellski

View Profile
May 31, 2014, 11:09:28 AM
Last edit: May 31, 2014, 11:30:31 AM by Bicknellski

also a note to consider; when buying anything from abroad, make sure you anticipate paying the full customs charges applicable.

and avoid anything that comes out of china  Undecided

Definite good insight in that... as for China? I think the AVOID anything US built is much more in sync with reality.

US to Avoid

BFL always late
Hash Fast late and bankrupt
Cointerra late

Being 3 to avoid in the US. Those three companies in the US have done a lot of damage compared to most of the Chinese offerings like

China Ok

Bitmain on time shipping
ASICminer on time shipping
Clone A1 suppliers usually on time shipping.

In China I would avoid

Black Arrow very late
Avalon too many problems in the past to trust now in my opinion and from my own personal experience

Swiss to Avoid

Bitmine

Again read read and read again the group buy threads and see what the people who actually bought say Bitmain said... the problem with Bitmain is that their S2 units sometimes flop around in transit and boards fall out and get damaged. So be prepared for that. Any other fabricators from China or US or EU etc you need to really read and read about their pitfalls.

That is why I posted Dogie's thread to read that. He monitors fabricators closely and his call is right on most of the time on fabricators.

raskul

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 31, 2014, 11:10:36 AM
Last edit: May 31, 2014, 11:35:55 AM by raskul

and avoid anything that comes out of china  Undecided

Definite good insight in that... as for China? I think the AVOID anything US built is much more in sync with reality.

BFL
Hash Fast

Being two to avoid in the US.

Again read read and read again the group buy threads and see what the people who actually bought say Bitmain said... the problem with Bitmain is that their S2 units sometimes flop around in transit and boards fall out and get damaged. So be prepared for that. Any other fabricators from China or US or EU etc you need to really read and read about their pitfalls.

That is why I posted Dogie's thread to read that. He monitors fabricators closely and his call is right on most of the time on fabricators.

Yup, true that. Even though I didn't receive anything broken from the US.. I simply 'didn't receive it at all'
list to avoid

1. US.
2. CHINA.

Roll Eyes

tips    1APp826DqjJBdsAeqpEstx6Q8hD4urac8a
klondike_bar
Legendary

Activity: 2128

ASIC Wannabe

View Profile
May 31, 2014, 11:22:42 AM

Hello,
BR

only what you can afford to lose. 10-20% of your 'investment money' is a goo place to start - don't go treading in all your blue chip stocks for BTC

24" PCI-E cables with 16AWG wires and stripped ends - great for server PSU mods, best prices https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=563461
No longer a wannabe - now an ASIC owner!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: