Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 07:49:57 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Price if Amazon Accepts Bitcoin  (Read 2919 times)
Krabby

Activity: 644
Merit: 250

https://primedao.eth.link/#/

View Profile
May 31, 2014, 01:23:54 PM

Let's just say that it is better than nothing.

██████████
                   ████████████
                 ██████████████
               ████████████████
             ██████████████████
██████████           ██████████          ██████████
██████████           █████████           ██████████
██████████           ███████     ██████████████████
██████████████████████████     ████████████████████
████████████████████████     ██████████████████████
██████████████████████     ████████████████████████
████████████████████     ██████████████████████████
██████████████████     ███████           ██████████
██████████           █████████           ██████████
██████████          ██████████           ██████████
                    ██████████████████
                    ████████████████
                    ██████████████
                    ████████████
                    ██████████
PrimeDAO - An Adoption Engine for Open Finance
"If you don't want people to know you're a scumbag then don't be a scumbag." -- margaritahuyan
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
dreamspark

Activity: 798
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 31, 2014, 01:50:50 PM

Right now the price is already increasing as fast as the present infrastructure will allow. Everyone who is willing to buy bitcoins on bitstamp,coinbase,etc is already as bullish as possible and buying as fast as possible, so making them even more bullish via amazon news will not affect anything.

Gotta disagree on that, I have other liquidity that I would happily put into Bitcoin if I thought the risk was worth it. Definitely not buying as much or as fast as I can yet. Why would you conclude that everyone is all in and leveraged to the eye balls at this point?
adamstgBit
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1037

Trusted Bitcoiner

View Profile WWW
May 31, 2014, 02:09:34 PM

i'd move my short term target from 800 to 3000

Amazon Accepting Bitcoin would be a Huge deal.

acs267

Activity: 644
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 31, 2014, 02:17:28 PM

I don't think Amazon will affect it necessarily fast. More people would probably give Bitcoin a try, yes, but that doesn't mean all of them might buy into it. Or maybe a small group will. But it'll certainly fix Bitcoin in the eyes of the media, since we've had some pretty rocky situations. If the public follow the media, then yes, that could possibly raise the price. Not immediately, though, but the media is played into it with Amazon.
Gingermod

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 31, 2014, 03:33:45 PM

Hypothetically, if Amazon announced that they were accepting bitcoin today, how high would the price go?

Merchant adoption =/= increase in demand

The people already using Bitcoin will buy with Bitcoin.

The news and media attention might bring more interested parties, yes.
Wolf Rainer
Legendary

Activity: 1960
Merit: 1022

View Profile
May 31, 2014, 03:53:25 PM

If amazon ann to accept bitcoins, the price will go up very fast to 1000.
rudius

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 31, 2014, 04:04:32 PM

It might not affect the price at all as the price is mostly controlled by an accumulation/distribution cycle of whales.

TERA, could you give me one example where a market is not driven by accumulation/distribution of whales?

Now to answer OP, It would be a great news and could be a trigger to the next pike.
The more transaction, the more maket cap is growing. It s the structural bitcoin price. add that to gigantesc bubbles and you have the BTC price.

So my view is that it would affect the structural market cap but only be a trigger to the next bubble.
blatchcorn (OP)

Activity: 952
Merit: 281

View Profile
May 31, 2014, 04:12:05 PM

Finally some non-bears arrived to back me up  Cool
practicaldreamer

Activity: 770
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 31, 2014, 04:25:51 PM

Completely agree - it would be of huge symbolic significance. A firm as big as Amazon giving legitimacy to BTC would be massive.

KryptoKings

Activity: 854
Merit: 506

View Profile
May 31, 2014, 04:53:21 PM

It might not affect the price at all as the price is mostly controlled by an accumulation/distribution cycle of whales.

You know about as much about economics as John Snow. Smiley
which John Snow do you mean?
Trial by combat
KryptoKings

Activity: 854
Merit: 506

View Profile
May 31, 2014, 04:57:55 PM

Completely agree - it would be of huge symbolic significance. A firm as big as Amazon giving legitimacy to BTC would be massive.

If this happens then Ebay/Paypal will jump on board so fast. The are semi bullish on btc already. Target would be 5000+ before a hard correction of 2500
pinksheep

Activity: 196

View Profile
May 31, 2014, 05:22:41 PM

I don't understand those who say it wouldn't affect the price much, if at all. I think it would be one of the biggest triggers for a price spike that BTC has seen to date & as someone else said, it would almost certainly prompt others such as eBay to follow suit.

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
PRIMEDICE
The Premier Bitcoin Gambling Experience @PrimeDice
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
Benjig

Activity: 462
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 31, 2014, 05:36:03 PM

I don't understand those who say it wouldn't affect the price much, if at all. I think it would be one of the biggest triggers for a price spike that BTC has seen to date & as someone else said, it would almost certainly prompt others such as eBay to follow suit.

Yes an action like that can trigger a chain action that could pump bitcoin price very high, i mean, the first one overstock did well and dish too, but if a third one do that.. then it will be tens of them doing the same.
haploid23
Legendary

Activity: 812
Merit: 1002

View Profile WWW
May 31, 2014, 07:34:59 PM

Finally some non-bears arrived to back me up  Cool

If btc price shoots up within 24 hours of Amazon announcing they would accept bitcoin, how do you know for certain it was amazon that caused the price hike? If you do win the bet, how will you prove Amazon was the sole cause of price increase? Sure in the very long run, it could promote btc and make the general public more aware, hence increase the money supply in btc, but within 24 hours is too short, and this time frame is meaningless.

inca
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 31, 2014, 08:48:31 PM

Absolutely. Bitcoin is functioning wonderfully as a (volatile) store of value in exactly the way you would expect from a scarce commodity money.

What happens next is the increasing utility of bitcoin as a spendable currency with progressive integration into the internet as a form of payment. Amazon or paypal integrating bitcoin would be a massive confirmation move for the fledgeling currency, leading other firms to do likewise or get left behind by the savings bitcoin offers over conventional credit card payments. Discounts may be offered for using bitcoin as an incentive to online customer. Its sudden ubiquitous appearance all over the internet as a form of payment will also alter the public perception of bitcoin (largely driven by a negative mainstream media).

Companies like circle and coinbase, facebook integrating wallets etc, Winklevoss ETF's will all hopefully be coming online later this year. Just in time for the next (perhaps too) predictable upswing in bitcoin prices.

How anyone could think that the largest internet companies in the world taking bitcoin would not be massively bullish for both bitcoin and bitcoin prices is beyond me. It will legitimise bitcoin in the eyes of the masses and bring huge numbers of new potential users to the currency. What happens when people expect a huge number of new people trying to buy into a scarce commodity? The market front runs it. The price will probably go insane.

edit: this is when i expect wall street to get involved
blatchcorn (OP)

Activity: 952
Merit: 281

View Profile
May 31, 2014, 08:56:17 PM

Absolutely. Bitcoin is functioning wonderfully as a (volatile) store of value in exactly the way you would expect from a scarce commodity money.

What happens next is the increasing utility of bitcoin as a spendable currency with progressive integration into the internet as a form of payment. Amazon or paypal integrating bitcoin would be a massive confirmation move for the fledgeling currency, leading other firms to do likewise or get left behind by the savings bitcoin offers over conventional credit card payments. Discounts may be offered for using bitcoin as an incentive to online customer. Its sudden ubiquitous appearance all over the internet as a form of payment will also alter the public perception of bitcoin (largely driven by a negative mainstream media).

Companies like circle and coinbase, facebook integrating wallets etc, Winklevoss ETF's will all hopefully be coming online later this year. Just in time for the next (perhaps too) predictable upswing in bitcoin prices.

How anyone could think that the largest internet companies in the world taking bitcoin would not be massively bullish for both bitcoin and bitcoin prices is beyond me. It will legitimise bitcoin in the eyes of the masses and bring huge numbers of new potential users to the currency. What happens when people expect a huge number of new people trying to buy into a scarce commodity? The market front runs it. The price will probably go insane.
This.

We will return to this thread when it happens and laugh at the bears
pinksheep

Activity: 196

View Profile
May 31, 2014, 09:45:34 PM

edit: this is when i expect wall street to get involved

I agree with everything you have written here, but for me the key sentence is 'It will legitimise bitcoin in the eyes of the masses'.

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
PRIMEDICE
The Premier Bitcoin Gambling Experience @PrimeDice
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
Torque
Legendary

Activity: 3556
Merit: 5041

View Profile
June 01, 2014, 05:15:39 AM

Here's the thing, in the bitcoin world it doesn't matter how great some piece of news is.  If it comes out during a down trend, it can be the greatest news in the world, but will still have little to no effect on the price.  For example, if the news "Amazon now accepting bitcoin" came out in March, it would have had little effect to reverse the downtrend.

Now if that same news comes out in the next 3-4 weeks (and just so happened to be timed perfectly with the pre-bubble top) it would have a MAJOR upward effect on the price.  This happened in November with the Senate hearings giving bitcoin thumbs up.  I wouldn't be surprised if some more good news just so happens to come along in the next 3-4 weeks.

And of course, the next bubble pop will be timed with some really bad news out of left field (which someone is saving to deliver at just the right time), I can pretty much guarantee it.

This market is still just so sentiment driven because it's small, and the powers that be KNOW that.
bryant.coleman
Legendary

Activity: 3654
Merit: 1217

View Profile
June 01, 2014, 08:11:28 AM

In the short-term, the prices can jump by as much as 100%. But it will be followed by a significant correction. So I am expecting the pre-correction price of around $1,300 in the short-term. In the long term, the price will be $3,000 to $5,000, as more and more companies might follow suit.
Parazyd

Activity: 812
Merit: 587

Space Lord

View Profile WWW
June 01, 2014, 08:13:31 AM

Yes. I really don't understand others that say that it isn't a big deal.
It sure is, and one should expect at least +200% in value if it was to happen.
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: