Bitcoin Forum
April 23, 2024, 02:35:18 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: which is the best pooled mining sevice ?  (Read 11818 times)
Veldy

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 23, 2011, 08:02:04 PM

Actually the best pooled mining is not one of those - it's http://BitcoinPool.com Smiley

They have no fees, they're the only mining service that provides efficiency ratio calculations, and their modded version of the poclbm miner is the most efficient.  They are currently in beta, but are doing an awesome job.

I just looked at that site and they seem to have a serious problem with hackers (crackers is actually the correct term).  I wouldn't recommend them for this reason, at least, not until we know their admin can secure their servers (forum shows that they were storing passwords in plain text on the server which means once somebody got in, they got a hold of a lot.  Also looks like some people lost a weeks work or more.

My vote is for either deepbit.net or slush (minning.bitcoin.cz).  I may bring up a second machine machine soon and point my two machines at one pool each [although I am not sure that is wise ... seems like I might solve more blocks sticking to one pool].

If you have found my post helpful, please donate what you feel it is worth: 18vaZ4K62WiL6W2Qoj9AE1cerfCHRaUW4x

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"I'm sure that in 20 years there will either be very large transaction volume or no volume." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
grue
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1431

View Profile
April 23, 2011, 09:22:33 PM

Deepbit is very easy to set-up with, and has the most features and most info. Bitcoinpool has almost no features and have been victim of a few attacks, and they stored the passwords IN PLAIN TEXT, they also forgot to pay someone already, which is a little suspicious.
[citation needed]

It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

Adblock for annoying signature ads | Enhanced Merit UI
xenon481

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 23, 2011, 10:09:54 PM

so you are going to sit all day in front of your computer, monitor the block explorer, and have a 25% chance of correctly poolhopping?

That's what programs are for.

Tips Appreciated: 171TQ2wJg7bxj2q68VNibU75YZB22b7ZDr
grndzero

Activity: 392

View Profile
April 23, 2011, 11:20:06 PM

Deepbit is very easy to set-up with, and has the most features and most info. Bitcoinpool has almost no features and have been victim of a few attacks, and they stored the passwords IN PLAIN TEXT, they also forgot to pay someone already, which is a little suspicious.
[citation needed]

Old info. They have salted MD5 passwords in place now. They have added "hundred of lines of lines of code to deter SQL injection". And the people who didn't get paid was because their software wasn't detecting invalid blocks properly. It says Beta on the front page for a reason.

Ubuntu Desktop x64 -  HD5850 Reference - 400Mh/s w/ cgminer  @ 975C/325M/1.175V - 11.6/2.1 SDK
Donate if you find this helpful: 1NimouHg2acbXNfMt5waJ7ohKs2TtYHePy
nster

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 24, 2011, 04:37:52 AM

[citation needed]

Old info. They have salted MD5 passwords in place now. They have added "hundred of lines of lines of code to deter SQL injection". And the people who didn't get paid was because their software wasn't detecting invalid blocks properly. It says Beta on the front page for a reason.

The fact that they did that, AND they forgot to pay someone etc etc just makes them incompetent and untrustworthy

167q1CHgVjzLCwQwQvJ3tRMUCrjfqvSznd Donations are welcome Smiley Please be kind if I helped
tgdollaz

Activity: 15
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 24, 2011, 08:48:45 PM

I started learning about bitcoin a few days ago so I'm still a noob and have much more to understand. But I'm trying to choose a pool for my new HD5850 and just wanted to get some clarification from the people that have been around here a bit longer. It seems to me that as of now slush's pool and deepbit are the two main pools used by the community. What I'm trying to wrap my head around is the cost of being in the different pools available. I was at first drawn to bitcoinpool because they don't charge any fees but decided against it after seeing that they have been hacked a few times. Looking at the slush pool it apears that he takes 2% off the top for expenses and the rest goes to the miners. Deepbit appears to take either 3% off the top or 10% off the top if you want the pay per share payouts. So do I have that correct as far as fees are concerned? To be honest 10% seems pretty brutal to be part of a pool. Are the features that deepbit offers to the miners worth an extra 8% over what you get at slush's pool? Please note I'm not trying to offend anyone, start a flame war, or troll etc, I'm just trying to get the most straightforward answer. So what am I missing here guys? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
dbitcoin

Activity: 742
Merit: 500

BTCDig - mining pool

View Profile WWW
April 24, 2011, 10:53:22 PM

I started learning about bitcoin a few days ago so I'm still a noob and have much more to understand. But I'm trying to choose a pool for my new HD5850 and just wanted to get some clarification from the people that have been around here a bit longer. It seems to me that as of now slush's pool and deepbit are the two main pools used by the community. What I'm trying to wrap my head around is the cost of being in the different pools available. I was at first drawn to bitcoinpool because they don't charge any fees but decided against it after seeing that they have been hacked a few times. Looking at the slush pool it apears that he takes 2% off the top for expenses and the rest goes to the miners. Deepbit appears to take either 3% off the top or 10% off the top if you want the pay per share payouts. So do I have that correct as far as fees are concerned? To be honest 10% seems pretty brutal to be part of a pool. Are the features that deepbit offers to the miners worth an extra 8% over what you get at slush's pool? Please note I'm not trying to offend anyone, start a flame war, or troll etc, I'm just trying to get the most straightforward answer. So what am I missing here guys? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

You missed this:

1) 10% commission used only for PPS payout, due all mining risks take pool operator.
    Because you get money for every submitted shares.
    In this mode doesn't matter solve pool block or not, you always get a steady and predicted profit.
    If you serious about 24/7 mining for months this payout mode less profitably for you.
2) Another pool with 2% commission BTCMine

BTCDig - mining pool (Stratum, VarDiff, DGM, SSL, JSON API)
[Tycho]

Activity: 742
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
April 25, 2011, 04:16:57 AM

Looking at the slush pool it apears that he takes 2% off the top for expenses and the rest goes to the miners. Deepbit appears to take either 3% off the top or 10% off the top if you want the pay per share payouts. So do I have that correct as far as fees are concerned? To be honest 10% seems pretty brutal to be part of a pool. Are the features that deepbit offers to the miners worth an extra 8% over what you get at slush's pool?
The extra 1% is like an insurance against failed blocks (some other pools had up to 8% of those, but in deepbit you'll get your reward even if the block fails).

10% "fee" is only for special Pay-Per-Share mode, when you are insured agains any risks and bad luck.

Welcome to my bitcoin mining pool: https://deepbit.net - Both payment schemes (including PPS), instant payout, no invalid blocks !
ICBIT Trading platform : USD/BTC futures trading, Bitcoin difficulty futures (NEW!). Third year in bitcoin business.
tgdollaz

Activity: 15
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 25, 2011, 08:21:59 PM

Looking at the slush pool it apears that he takes 2% off the top for expenses and the rest goes to the miners. Deepbit appears to take either 3% off the top or 10% off the top if you want the pay per share payouts. So do I have that correct as far as fees are concerned? To be honest 10% seems pretty brutal to be part of a pool. Are the features that deepbit offers to the miners worth an extra 8% over what you get at slush's pool?
The extra 1% is like an insurance against failed blocks (some other pools had up to 8% of those, but in deepbit you'll get your reward even if the block fails).

10% "fee" is only for special Pay-Per-Share mode, when you are insured agains any risks and bad luck.

Thank you very much for the explanation Tycho, definitely makes things more clear. Looks like deepbit is getting the first 5850 and slush will get the second. Figured mining two seperate pools might reduce variance a bit since those two pools cover almost half of all network mining. Thanks again.
Veldy

View Profile
April 26, 2011, 05:34:45 AM

[citation needed]

My citation is postings on their forum which I read.  Go look for yourself.

If you have found my post helpful, please donate what you feel it is worth: 18vaZ4K62WiL6W2Qoj9AE1cerfCHRaUW4x
keybaud

Activity: 120

View Profile
April 26, 2011, 12:45:49 PM

[citation needed]

So, not a citation then.
xenon481

Activity: 406

View Profile
April 26, 2011, 12:50:47 PM

[citation needed]

So, not a citation then.

The citation is bitcoinpool's owners own statements on their own forums.

Tips Appreciated: 171TQ2wJg7bxj2q68VNibU75YZB22b7ZDr
geebus

Activity: 258

View Profile WWW
April 26, 2011, 01:20:11 PM

[citation needed]

So, not a citation then.

I don't believe we've [BitcoinPool] "forgotten" to pay anyone. We had a few instances while running our pool that caused payments to be delayed or corrected manually, but we've never "forgot" to pay anyone.

Our passwords are MD5 hashed. We have plenty of features and really, there isn't a whole lot else to add aside from cosmetic or aesthetic additions and some reporting.

We were at one point being heavily attacked and have since plugged every hole in our security that we've discovered or had reported to us.

We charge 0% fees. We support long polling. We host our own forum for discussion about our pool. We're updating, optimizing and improving on a daily basis, and considering the number of users on our pool, and the speed of the pool in comparison to others, we're doing a damned good job at being a worthwhile pool.

Feel like donating to me? BTC Address: 14eUVSgBSzLpHXGAfbN9BojXTWvTb91SHJ
keybaud

Activity: 120

View Profile
April 26, 2011, 07:41:55 PM

[citation needed]

My citation is postings on their forum which I read.  Go look for yourself.

So, not a citation then.

Aaah, and here I am thinking that a citation is a link or clear reference to something the reader can lookup themselves, not a statement that may or may not exist somewhere with no guidance on how to find it. I guess I don't need to bother posting links to evidential information any more.
Veldy

View Profile
April 27, 2011, 06:24:02 AM

To be fair, I didn't "cite" anything.  I simply reiterated what I read.  You can just as easily go over there and read what I read.  If you want to discredit my statement because you are too lazy to look; fine with me.  But there were countless threads and posts about the issues and it is not at all hard to find on their site.  The forum is open for viewing.

An interesting pool that I will keep my eye on, but frankly, I am happy with deepbit at the moment.  Slush would be good as well if long polling was implemented Smiley  I have little doubt that it will be.  How can this other pool manage with 0% fees anyway?

Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: