Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 06:13:29 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Poll : do you trust an exchange to hold your bitcoins ?  (Read 9168 times)
Marbit

Activity: 686
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 19, 2014, 08:12:30 AM

Depends on exchange

For example - I trust 100 times more to bitstamp, then to btc-e

Why is that? BTCE has been around forever, has always been honorable. They have partnered with MT4 trading platform and FXOpen for leveraged trading, setting up PAMM system... they have a long term plan and are churning out fees.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The block chain is the main innovation of Bitcoin. It is the first distributed timestamping system.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Armando

Activity: 870

Trading will make me rich)

View Profile
July 19, 2014, 11:01:12 AM

Depends on exchange

For example - I trust 100 times more to bitstamp, then to btc-e

Why is that? BTCE has been around forever, has always been honorable. They have partnered with MT4 trading platform and FXOpen for leveraged trading, setting up PAMM system... they have a long term plan and are churning out fees.

Long term plan is laughable term, when we are speaking about services operating in black or grey areas

I'm sure that they will either be shut down or will disappear with all the money in long term) They are operating without any license or even a company) serving US customers without being registered with FinCEN, working with underground payment systems; accepting wires "for computers" and withdrawing customers funds to debit cards "for advertisement". And no AML program at all.  Grin

Remember liberty reserve and others? The outcome can be easily predicted. The time of such "services" had ended, now you have to play by rules if you want to run payment system, an exchange, payment processor etc. But I believe these guys even don't know the rules)
franckuestein
Legendary

Activity: 1960
Merit: 1130

Truth will out!

View Profile WWW
July 19, 2014, 05:12:52 PM

Some exchanges are verified because of an audit but as you know some of them can close when they want unpredictably.

Do you remember ShareXcoin or other ones? You can do what you want with your money but IMAO I insist: put your coins on the exchanges just to trade and when you finish, resend to your wallet software.

[ AVAILABLE SIGNATURE SPACE ]
HarHarHar9965

Activity: 994
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 19, 2014, 09:24:55 PM

Some exchanges are verified because of an audit but as you know some of them can close when they want unpredictably.

I don't trust any of these audits. From what I can tell, none of them have been carried out in a manner that proves current possession of assets to cover all liabilities.
CoinsCoinsEverywhere

Activity: 532

View Profile
July 21, 2014, 01:32:17 AM

I don't trust any of these audits. From what I can tell, none of them have been carried out in a manner that proves current possession of assets to cover all liabilities.
The problem is, how can they really prove that they own the passwords to the wallets they supposedly own without divulging those passwords?  I can maybe think of a way or two, but they'd be very complicated and still not completely foolproof.  Or they could show the auditor that they control those wallets, but then how do you fully trust the auditor?  And even if a person/company has a pristine record, that doesn't mean that someday they won't disappear with all the funds.  In the end, I guess you just have to decide to trust someone.  It may be risky, but life is full of risks.  You can only try to minimize them.
fdiini

Activity: 167
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 21, 2014, 02:51:55 AM

Old exchange mature quite a bit.

There are consequences for scamming customers.
WillyBTC

Activity: 312
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 21, 2014, 07:37:04 AM

Never. Occasionally I let them hold my funds for a short time, but never for long.
HarryT1923

Activity: 182

View Profile
July 22, 2014, 09:06:34 AM

trust? no way. but sometimes there's no way to stay in fiat for a couple days waiting on a down leg.
DannyElfman

Activity: 406

View Profile
July 22, 2014, 03:43:57 PM

The New York regulations are going to try to change this. The goal of the regulations is to get it so exchanges must prove that they have enough bitcoin to cover all of their customers' bitcoin and fiat deposits.

This spot for rent.
deluxeCITY

View Profile
July 22, 2014, 08:21:03 PM

The New York regulations are going to try to change this. The goal of the regulations is to get it so exchanges must prove that they have enough bitcoin to cover all of their customers' bitcoin and fiat deposits.
it would be awesome if I didn't have to worry about coinbase failing every time I sell via coinbase.
TheGull

Activity: 33
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
July 22, 2014, 11:30:26 PM

I like the spirit of this, but if it is a full-reserve system (which is what it sounds like) then I think it risks being too limiting to allow the bitcoin ecosystem to evolve.
CoinsCoinsEverywhere

View Profile
July 23, 2014, 04:47:19 PM

I like the spirit of this, but if it is a full-reserve system (which is what it sounds like) then I think it risks being too limiting to allow the bitcoin ecosystem to evolve.
Full-reserve systems can certainly inhibit growth, but they're a heck of a lot safer.  I think that part of the spirit of bitcoin is to get away from banks and some of their practices like fractional-reserve banking that lead to all kinds of financial calamities.  I think it's worth it to trade some growth potential for stability.
williamj2543

Activity: 588

Get ready for PrimeDice Sig Campaign!

View Profile WWW
July 23, 2014, 04:49:17 PM

Only online site I would trust for holding long term is maybe blockchain, and definetly xapo.com's insured vault. Other than that, it could end up like mt. gox again.

█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
▓▓▓▓▓  BIT-X.comvvvvvvvvvvvvvvi
→ CREATE ACCOUNT 
▓▓▓▓▓
█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
franckuestein
Legendary

Activity: 1960
Merit: 1130

Truth will out!

View Profile WWW
July 23, 2014, 05:38:28 PM

Only online site I would trust for holding long term is maybe blockchain, and definetly xapo.com's insured vault. Other than that, it could end up like mt. gox again.

I really thing that online services are not so good to store coins...
But for you: https://blockchain.info/about - Blockchain have a detailed "About Us" so you can save It with all their info  Wink

You know...

[ AVAILABLE SIGNATURE SPACE ]
alecmerkel

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 23, 2014, 08:33:03 PM

There's no sense in holding ALL the bitcoin savings into an exchange but if I would be forced I'll deposit mine into BitStamp,
the only one I trust.

Offline wallets + paperwallets + online wallets (small amount to trade) to be secure and have some fun.

I heard that bitstamp is closing account and keeping the BTC. Is this true? You seem to trust them a lot. Do you have any input on this?
AceWallen

Activity: 479

View Profile
July 24, 2014, 07:11:37 AM

i wouldn't use blockchain.info for long term storage. it's still an online hot wallet. and i have heard that it can be vulnerable to JS exploits. for long term storage, cold storage is the only solution.
williamj2543

Activity: 588

Get ready for PrimeDice Sig Campaign!

View Profile WWW
July 24, 2014, 02:20:48 PM

i wouldn't use blockchain.info for long term storage. it's still an online hot wallet. and i have heard that it can be vulnerable to JS exploits. for long term storage, cold storage is the only solution.
Currently I am keeping about 0.05 BTC in my blockchain for quick access, and the rest in a xapo.com vault, cause its insured so its impossible for it to be lost. I don't trust myself with cold storage.

▓▓▓▓▓  BIT-X.comvvvvvvvvvvvvvvi
→ CREATE ACCOUNT 
▓▓▓▓▓
1echo

Activity: 280

scams hunter!

View Profile
July 24, 2014, 02:23:16 PM

Yes, only to one exchanger, because I know the owner.
Www.bitcoin.co.id

tsoPANos

Activity: 602

In math we trust.

View Profile
July 24, 2014, 02:37:58 PM

Not I don't.
I just don't want to loose my money again, like I did with gox.
I have been goxxed!
ArbatDeli

Activity: 154

View Profile
July 24, 2014, 10:37:22 PM

Trust an exchange? That's asking for trouble. Maybe when we get some trustworthy exchanges backed by established brands.

♦  Bitcoin-Scratchticket.com  ♦   ♦  Win Bitcoin Playing Scratchtickets  ♦    ♦  Provably Fair  ♦ 
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: