Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 09:59:50 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Question on moved wallet  (Read 338 times)
MisterGuy (OP)

Activity: 5
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 31, 2014, 10:14:38 PM

Hi all,

Yesterday I posted a question about an unconfirmed transaction but someone here VERY helpfully pointed out that the transaction was actually confirmed, and blockchain was misreporting the transaction.
I emailed their help desk and they said they would fix it but 18 hours later it's still unconfirmed on blockchain.

After some effort (blockchain does not want you moving your wallet) I was able to move my wallet to the program Multibit; now I have the wallet in multibit, and blockchain still has a copy (with the unconfirmed funds).

SO: What happens if I try to send the money using multibit while blockchain still considers the transaction unconfirmed?

Thanks in advance.

BTW this are the links to the transaction
http://blockr.io/tx/info/eb59c5db7b1b2e40744ca81582edb9c7b2ee4bf31098f0a3b5f4d418e06212da

and blockchains still incorrect info

https://blockchain.info/tx/eb59c5db7b1b2e40744ca81582edb9c7b2ee4bf31098f0a3b5f4d418e06212da

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Bitcoin addresses contain a checksum, so it is very unlikely that mistyping an address will cause you to lose money.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
cr1776
Legendary

Activity: 4032
Merit: 1299

View Profile
May 31, 2014, 10:32:19 PM

Assuming by blockchain, you mean blockchain.info, then if you use a different wallet to send the money from confirmed transactions it will work just fine.

Blockchain.info may still have incorrect information, but that shouldn't impact the use of the bitcoins.

Smiley
MisterGuy (OP)

Activity: 5
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 31, 2014, 10:54:00 PM

Its the same wallet (address), its just now on the multibit program. (doesn't multibit get its info from blockchain?) 
So if I send the coins using multibit (which seems to list the transaction as verified) will it cause a problem or not?

Again, I appreciate the help.
Light

Activity: 742
Merit: 502

Circa 2010

View Profile
June 01, 2014, 12:45:46 AM

Its the same wallet (address), its just now on the multibit program. (doesn't multibit get its info from blockchain?) 
So if I send the coins using multibit (which seems to list the transaction as verified) will it cause a problem or not?

You shouldn't have a problem. As long as your Multibit client sees that the other transaction is confirmed, then you should be fine to send off coins. It simply looks like an error on Blockchain.info's site rather than an actual problem with the transaction if Multibit is telling you the tx was confirmed.
DannyHamilton
Legendary

Activity: 3388
Merit: 4615

View Profile
June 01, 2014, 01:04:58 AM

Again, I appreciate the help.

There is some confusion here because you are talking about more than one blockchain without realizing it.

Bitcoin, as a decentralized consensus system, operates based on a blockchain. Every full node wallet program on the bitcoin network has a complete copy of this blockchain. As miners solve blocks they are relayed throughout the entire network of connected peers, and each peer adds the new block to their own copy of the blockchain.

There is also a completely separate company called blockchain.info.  blockchain.info has created a website.  They run multiple bitcoin nodes, and add all the information from the bitcoin network to their own database as they receive it. Then they display all the information from their database on the website they created.

This blockchain.info company has also created their own web based wallet program that interfaces with their database and the peer nodes that they are running. When you use the web wallet that they provide, they store all the information (private keys) necessary for operating a bitcoin wallet in their database.

You have created a copy of this information and imported it into a MultiBit wallet program. This means that both the web based blockchain.info wallet program and the MultiBit wallet program currently have access to the necessary information (private keys) for operating a wallet with that address (or those addresses).

Since wallets all get their information about transactions from the blockchain, any transaction that you send from multibit should also show up in your blockchain.info wallet.

Multibit is not a "full node". So, if you send a transaction from blockchain.info,  there is a chance that the Multibit wallet will get out of sync. MultiBit provides functionality to re-scan the blockchain if you find that it isn't displaying some transactions.

The thing to be aware of is that Multibit doesn't "get its info from blockchain", it gets its info from the blockchain, which it gets from peer full nodes on the network.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: