Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 04:09:08 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitinstant- Paxum Temporarily Suspended  (Read 13481 times)
Serge
Legendary

Activity: 1050
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 12, 2012, 09:26:42 PM

It's very telling that, even though they have accounts here, they posted that thread there, but not here. I'd respect them more if they would have said that they rejected us to our face, so to speak.

they would rather post on a forum that calls itself gofuckyourself

classy, Paxum, real classy

with all due respect, the board name has nothing to do with it. there are simply more threads and discussion about paxum service among members of that board than it's been here. also by your logic you having account on that board isn't classy too by association. stupid comment.
Each block is stacked on top of the previous one. Adding another block to the top makes all lower blocks more difficult to remove: there is more "weight" above each block. A transaction in a block 6 blocks deep (6 confirmations) will be very difficult to remove.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
BitPay Business Solutions

Activity: 742
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
February 12, 2012, 09:44:58 PM

good point Serge.  i do post there, but I'm really surprised how that crowd is so anti-bitcoin.

They are also very supportive of Paxum on that thread.  Most of the webmasters I know would like to get away from Visa/MC and their stupid rules and fees if they could.

BitPay : The World Leader in Bitcoin Business Solutions

https://bitpay.com

Does your website accept bitcoins?
Serge
Legendary

Activity: 1050

View Profile
February 12, 2012, 09:59:12 PM

good point Serge.  i do post there, but I'm really surprised how that crowd is so anti-bitcoin.

They are also very supportive of Paxum on that thread.  Most of the webmasters I know would like to get away from Visa/MC and their stupid rules and fees if they could.

Tony, I think adult biz simply is not ready yet to embrace Bitcoin.

In regard to Paxum news - it's not good news personally for me as it was the most convenient method for me to move funds to bitcoin exchanges, but I do respect their decision or better put, them being pressured by their banking partners to discontinue service related with bitcoin exchanges, it's a loss for Paxum as well for bitcoin community. Hopefully they will be able to overcome their bitcoin hurdles with their banking partners in the future.

View Profile WWW
February 12, 2012, 10:07:05 PM
Last edit: February 13, 2012, 02:21:42 AM by Bit-pay Merchant Solutions

Tony, I think adult biz simply is not ready yet to embrace Bitcoin.

They have a natural distrust of payment processors, I understand that whole mess.

But the benefits of being open source should get some attention, you would think?

By the way, we met Steve in Vegas.  nice guy.

ArticMine
Legendary

Activity: 2282
Merit: 1050

Monero Core Team

View Profile
February 12, 2012, 10:26:20 PM

I searched the FINTRAC site http://www.fintrac-canafe.gc.ca/intro-eng.asp for Bitcoin and found one reference http://www.fintrac-canafe.gc.ca/publications/watch-regard/2011-10-eng.asp from April - June 2011. The section on Bitcoin starts with

" Bitcoins: a new anonymous digital currency and a potential vehicle for criminals to transfer money: According to investigators, an emerging digital currency named "Bitcoin", intended to allow people to send money without the use of payment processors or other financial institutions, could also be a method used by criminals to make anonymous international transactions. ..."

The question is why now? Since this advisory Paxum started accepting Credit Cards as a funding source in November 2011, and I suspect that latter has a lot more to do with their decision to close Bitcoin related accounts than a 7 month old FINTRAC advisory. It is a lot easier to spread FUD about Bitcoin than to admit they were breaking Credit Card processing rules.

Concerned that blockchain bloat will lead to centralization? Storing less than 4 GB of data once required the budget of a superpower and a warehouse full of punched cards. https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/87/IBM_card_storage.NARA.jpg https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Punched_card
paraipan
In memoriam
Legendary

Activity: 924
Merit: 1004

Firstbits: 1pirata

View Profile WWW
February 12, 2012, 10:30:54 PM
Last edit: February 12, 2012, 10:41:22 PM by paraipan

I searched the FINTRAC site http://www.fintrac-canafe.gc.ca/intro-eng.asp for Bitcoin and found one reference http://www.fintrac-canafe.gc.ca/publications/watch-regard/2011-10-eng.asp from April - June 2011. The section on Bitcoin starts with

" Bitcoins: a new anonymous digital currency and a potential vehicle for criminals to transfer money: According to investigators, an emerging digital currency named "Bitcoin", intended to allow people to send money without the use of payment processors or other financial institutions, could also be a method used by criminals to make anonymous international transactions. ..."

The question is why now? Since this advisory Paxum started accepting Credit Cards as a funding source in November 2011, and I suspect that latter has a lot more to do with their decision to close Bitcoin related accounts than a 7 month old FINTRAC advisory. It is a lot easier to spread FUD about Bitcoin than to admit they were breaking Credit Card processing rules.

maybe they we're forced to make a deal if they wanted to have that scraped...

BTCitcoin: An Idea Worth Saving - Q&A with bitcoins on rugatu.com - Check my rep
ArticMine
Legendary

Activity: 2282
Merit: 1050

Monero Core Team

View Profile
February 12, 2012, 10:39:37 PM

maybe they we're forced to make a deal if they wanted to have that scraped...

I would not be surprised if Paxum had to make more than one deal in order to keep their merchant account.

Concerned that blockchain bloat will lead to centralization? Storing less than 4 GB of data once required the budget of a superpower and a warehouse full of punched cards. https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/87/IBM_card_storage.NARA.jpg https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Punched_card
paraipan
In memoriam
Legendary

View Profile WWW
February 12, 2012, 10:43:31 PM

maybe they we're force to make a deal if they wanted to have that scraped...

I would not be surprised if Paxum had to make more than one deal in order to keep their merchant account.

me thinks the banks have all of us by the balls  Cry

BTCitcoin: An Idea Worth Saving - Q&A with bitcoins on rugatu.com - Check my rep

View Profile WWW
February 12, 2012, 10:46:45 PM

that's what the banks think.  it will just drive more people to hold onto the bitcoins and not sell them.

bitcool
Legendary

Activity: 1441

Live and enjoy experiments

View Profile
February 12, 2012, 11:01:24 PM

Not all banks in all countries are the same, some are more open minded than others.
Don't forget about local and community currencies, even many states have started planing their own gold/silver backed currencies....
The train has left the station, they can't stop it.
Yankee (BitInstant) (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1078

Charlie 'Van Bitcoin' Shrem

View Profile WWW
February 13, 2012, 02:40:43 AM

The fact of the matter is, the larger Bitcoin gets the more of a threat it becomes. The people and institutions that share the most to lose will do everything in their power to stop it.

Wether Paxum decides to fold this early is up to them, and I will do everything in my power to keep them on our side.

....This is war boys, stop wining, strap in and get to work.

Bitcoin pioneer. An apostle of Satoshi Nakamoto. A crusader for a new, better, tech-driven society. A dreamer.

More about me: http://CharlieShrem.com
finway

Activity: 714

View Profile
February 13, 2012, 02:56:19 AM

The fact of the matter is, the larger Bitcoin gets the more of a threat it becomes. The people and institutions that share the most to lose will do everything in their power to stop it.

Wether Paxum decides to fold this early is up to them, and I will do everything in my power to keep them on our side.

I guess it is.

paraipan
In memoriam
Legendary

View Profile WWW
February 13, 2012, 03:16:15 AM

I guess it is.

acknowledged, back to the battle stations  Smiley

cbeast
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006

Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.

View Profile
February 13, 2012, 03:51:48 AM

I guess it is.

acknowledged, back to the battle stations  Smiley
If that's all they got, the war will soon be over.

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.
evoorhees
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1021

Democracy is the original 51% attack

View Profile
February 13, 2012, 04:17:54 AM
Last edit: February 13, 2012, 04:31:28 AM by evoorhees

Lots of speculation on this, but it seems simple enough to me.

Paxum mentioned Mastercard was part of the discussion, as well as "other banking partners." Those people must understand Bitcoin is a threat. Very easy for them to say, "hey Paxum, please don't work with Bitcoin" and Paxum says, "okay." If it was a new government regulation, they would've pointed to it specifically so as to take the blame off themselves. No such specificity was mentioned, meaning its far more likely an internal policy brought about by pressure from their partners.

An open-source, fee-less payment system must scare the shit out of traditional payment network operators. If it doesn't, then they're not paying attention. Logical and reasonable for Paxum, at the behest of its influential partners, to drop Bitcoin.

As Yankee said... strap in and get to work. This is war.

Edit: just closed my account with them. THAT'LL show 'em.
finway

Activity: 714

View Profile
February 13, 2012, 04:51:15 AM

Paxum mentioned Mastercard was part of the discussion, as well as "other banking partners." Those people must understand Bitcoin is a threat. Very easy for them to say, "hey Paxum, please don't work with Bitcoin" and Paxum says, "okay." If it was a new government regulation, they would've pointed to it specifically so as to take the blame off themselves. No such specificity was mentioned, meaning its far more likely an internal policy brought about by pressure from their partners.

An open-source, fee-less payment system must scare the shit out of traditional payment network operators. If it doesn't, then they're not paying attention. Logical and reasonable for Paxum, at the behest of its influential partners, to drop Bitcoin.

I bet you're right.

Herodes

Activity: 868

View Profile
February 13, 2012, 05:11:55 AM

Good luck in sorting it out!
Steve

Activity: 868
Merit: 1007

View Profile WWW
February 13, 2012, 05:27:47 AM

As much as it's entertaining to think MasterCard is scared of the competition from Bitcoin, the explanations that it is about the risks involved in allowing the purchase of cash-like things on credit makes sense.  It's basically a way to get a cash advance without immediately incurring interest…people can take advantage of the 1 month billing cycle if it were allowed.  Still, I think as bitcoin grows, it's likely that at least some banks will take a hostile stance toward bitcoin.  They may try to neutralize bitcoin as a competitive threat by cutting it off from the traditional banking system.

(gasteve on IRC) Does your website accept cash? https://bitpay.com
bitcoinTrader

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 13, 2012, 08:51:13 AM

I also want to close the account.
What is the procedure?

What happens to the document we submitted during registration?

Yankee (BitInstant) (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1078

Charlie 'Van Bitcoin' Shrem

View Profile WWW
February 13, 2012, 02:46:42 PM

I wanted to point out one more thing:

An executive at Paxum has been working with me since this happend. They have been more surprised at this than we were. Not only that, but they have been super responsive and extremely helpful in this matter.
I harbor no bad feelings toward them. Licensing takes years to obtain but can take minutes to lose.

More and more information is coming to light and although I cannot go into details *yet* alot of what has been said above is not accurate.

Paxum and I have a few conference calls with their partners set up for this week and if all goes well, we can have this resolved and back online in 1-2 weeks

-Charlie

Bitcoin pioneer. An apostle of Satoshi Nakamoto. A crusader for a new, better, tech-driven society. A dreamer.

More about me: http://CharlieShrem.com
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: