Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 09:43:18 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: is it possible to block the MtGox exchange?  (Read 1357 times)
kokjo (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1050
Merit: 1000

You are WRONG!

View Profile
April 23, 2011, 01:00:23 PM

is it? to lock the prices?

if you had many btc(say 10000btc) and you where buying at 1.35 and selling at 1.4. would you lock the market between 1.35 and 1.4? becuse every time some one bouht some coins, and there was't any asking below 1.4, you would gain some profit and the blocking would be bigger...

it that possible?

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves and wiser people so full of doubts." -Bertrand Russell
Be very wary of relying on JavaScript for security on crypto sites. The site can change the JavaScript at any time unless you take unusual precautions, and browsers are not generally known for their airtight security.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
BioMike
Legendary

Activity: 1658
Merit: 1001

View Profile
April 23, 2011, 01:06:43 PM

if you had many btc(say 10000btc) and you where buying at 1.35 and selling at 1.4. would you lock the market between 1.35 and 1.4? becuse every time some one bouht some coins, and there was't any asking below 1.4, you would gain some profit and the blocking would be bigger...

it that possible?

As soon as the market would move into one direction (many buying or many selling) the "lock" would overflow and the market would break out of the "lock". The only thing it would do is delay a upward or downward trend.
kokjo (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1050
Merit: 1000

You are WRONG!

View Profile
April 23, 2011, 01:09:16 PM

it that possible?

As soon as the market would move into one direction (many buying or many selling) the "lock" would overflow and the market would break out of the "lock". The only thing it would do is delay a upward or downward trend.
yes but the longer and bigger the lock are the harder it would be to break it, it's will get bigger over time

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves and wiser people so full of doubts." -Bertrand Russell
BioMike
Legendary

Activity: 1658
Merit: 1001

View Profile
April 23, 2011, 01:16:07 PM

it that possible?

yes but the longer and bigger the lock are the harder it would be to break it, it's will get bigger over time

Sure, but do you get enough time to build up something like that? I think starting with 10000 btc (and $13500 to buy on the bottom side) would not be enough to sustain the lock for even a few days.
LMGTFY

Activity: 644
Merit: 502

View Profile
April 23, 2011, 01:20:47 PM

it that possible?

What happens whenever a clear range appears is that other people flood in, and will over- or under-cut the "locker", Lucy. So... I can see that trading is range-bound, and I smell the potential for profit. I undercut Lucy-locker by placing a sell order at 1.3999. This is successful, and I then overcut Lucy by placing a buy order at 1.3501. Alice sees what's going on, and places a sell order at 1.3998. This is successful, so Alice places a buy order at 1.3502... after Bob, Charlie and Dave have all piled in, the price has settled around 1.375.

Another scenario is that me, Alice, Bob, Charlie and Dave all want to buy more bitcoins. I buy 2000 at 1.4. Alice buys 2000 at 1.4. Bob buys 2000 at 1.4 - well, you get the idea. Once we've all bought what we want Lucy has none left to sell. Lucy could, of course wait for the price to fall to 1.35 and buy more, but how likely is that with a high volume supporting the 1.4 price? I'd suspect that the price would be bullish for a while after our trades. The same scenario, of course, works in reverse.

This space intentionally left blank.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: