Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 04:54:46 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Planned MultiBit usage fee (BRIT)  (Read 869 times)
5cMXezpBtm (OP)

Activity: 233
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 01, 2014, 02:13:35 PM
Last edit: June 01, 2014, 08:34:14 PM by 5cMXezpBtm

Hello,

on
https://multibit.org/blog/2014/04/11/multibit-hd-brit.html
a MultiBit usage transaction fee of 1000 Satoshi is announced to be planned for future releases.

I like this idea very much, I think micropayment is a good purpose for Bitcoin, and the developers earn it. And the developers need to get money for their work from the users of Bitcoin and not from other sources, because the interests of other money givers could collide with the interest of the Bitcoin.

Maybe in the future, there will be also other services like internet search engines that take e.g. 1 Satoshi per service request instead of collecting user data in order to sell commercial advertising placements to their business customers for which the service users pay indirectly through the advertised products price.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"If you don't want people to know you're a scumbag then don't be a scumbag." -- margaritahuyan
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
allgoodthings1

Activity: 270
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 01, 2014, 04:11:45 PM

I wish we users of Multibit were better at each one donating to the developers, as is mentioned on the home page. Then they wouldn't feel it necessary to start getting some compensation otherwise. But I sure don't begrudge the per transaction fee, if the free will donation route is not getting the job done.  It's excellent software, and the workman is worthy of his hire.

IRS 501(c)(3) Public Charities That Accept Bitcoin https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=758674.0
Avoid U.S. Taxes on Bitcoin. Give to Charity. https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=627860.0
f3tus

Activity: 317
Merit: 275

View Profile
June 01, 2014, 10:08:35 PM

Personally I have no problem with this, even with a bigger fee, but this is a good point: http://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/2723ew/1_cuban_will_have_to_work_1_hour_to_do_7/
ShakyhandsBTCer

Activity: 448

It's Money 2.0| It’s gold for nerds | It's Bitcoin

View Profile
June 13, 2014, 02:15:09 AM

IMO charging users a mandatory fee is not constant with Bitcoin principles.

Bitcoin is suppose to be a very low cost way of sending money. Even the miner's fees are optional (although a TX may not get confirmed if it is non-standard).

I would support an optional donation fee (even if it was set to "on" by default) to support their organization 
BCwinning

Activity: 770
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 13, 2014, 02:17:33 AM

micropayments already cost a fee not proportionate to the payment you want to make.
Forcing another tx fee on the user is like using a credit card now.
Totally defeats the purpose of bitcoin.

The New World Order thanks you for your support of Bitcoin and encourages your continuing support so that they may track your expenditures easier.
ChaosFox

Activity: 178
Merit: 100

Certified fox posing as a cat posing as a human

View Profile
June 15, 2014, 08:55:16 PM

Then guess I (Or someone else) will have to make a fork without any mandatory fees. Yes, it's "such a speck" many users won't notice it, and they'll see it as part of the usual transaction fee. But it still feels wrong, and if people want to use Bitcoin for transactions at both sides of the spectrum (With thousands worth in USD in a single transaction with little to no fees, or spending a few cents tipping someone or buying a perk for an online game, for example) these kind of things will turn people away.

I don't exactly live in Cuba, but I've found myself in pretty bad situations before, where every cent mattered and locked out from most methods of payment, so Bitcoin has literally been a lifesaver in those cases and 1000 Satoshi would have indeed been too much, when in other cases I wouldn't have had any problem in throwing 0.10 BTC or more to the devs. I ended up migrating recently to Electrum after using MultiBit for a long time, but I wanted to give MultiBit HD a try.

Look! An ad-free signature!
ShakyhandsBTCer

Activity: 448

It's Money 2.0| It’s gold for nerds | It's Bitcoin

View Profile
June 16, 2014, 03:32:14 AM

micropayments already cost a fee not proportionate to the payment you want to make.
Forcing another tx fee on the user is like using a credit card now.
Totally defeats the purpose of bitcoin.

It is not quite as bad as a credit card, but it is very close

I would not personally use Multibit HD if they charged a fee that is payable to them
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: