Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 07:44:24 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: A Development Thread for a Game funded With Bitcoin  (Read 4564 times)
kiba (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1014

View Profile
February 16, 2012, 07:13:55 AM

Maybe if you provide some idea of what it will look like in the end. So far I have just been confused. My H ran into a blue square and then made a circle then I couldn't do anything.

Does it keep going to the blue square and going back to the circle and making triangles? If so, we can conclude it is gathering crystal stockpiles.

My game is harder to understand because both I didn't work very much on making it understandable and because it's a game where you don't directly manage units. It will take time for me to figure out how to help players understand what's going on.

Anyway, thanks for the suggestion. I will write a post on the overall version of the game. Maybe this will help get funders on board.

Also, I forgot to mention that I applied for a researcher position for a charity. I doubt I'll get the job, and I estimate a 90% likelihood of failure to get the job. We will know in an estimated 1-3 weeks, because I have to complete an unpaid test research project. If I manage to somehow snag the job, I can still continue to work on this game even if it is in reduced capacity and my situation will be far less fragile. It's better to having written the game, rather than not at all.

"With e-currency based on cryptographic proof, without the need to trust a third party middleman, money can be secure and transactions effortless." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
bb113

Activity: 728
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 16, 2012, 07:41:42 AM

It seemed like it locked up. I couldn't move around (I figured out using a,s,d,f earlier) or anything. You should also place the instructions in a clearly marked location, I just figured it out by pressing buttons.
kiba (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
February 16, 2012, 03:40:19 PM

It seemed like it locked up. I couldn't move around (I figured out using a,s,d,f earlier) or anything. You should also place the instructions in a clearly marked location, I just figured it out by pressing buttons.

This could be a bug, but I need steps to replicate this bug or ortherwise I can't fix it.

SgtSpike
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005

View Profile
February 16, 2012, 04:13:00 PM

You need to post up an explanation of what everything is/does.  I have no idea what I am looking at when I load up the game or start clicking things.

Correct me where I am wrong:
H = the unit you are controlling
Black = ??
Circle = some sort of safe zone
Blue square = crystal mine
Triangles = crystal stockpile

So right now, is the whole point just to gather crystals?  What will future goals of the game be?  How will you win/lose?
kiba (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
February 16, 2012, 05:52:10 PM

You need to post up an explanation of what everything is/does.  I have no idea what I am looking at when I load up the game or start clicking things.

Black = ??

So right now, is the whole point just to gather crystals?  What will future goals of the game be?  How will you win/lose?

I wrote some initial non-comprehensive draft about the game and what you're seeing. There will be more information as I update it.

http://kibabase.com/articles/the-city-game-design

http://kibabase.com/articles/gameplay-description-of-the-city

SgtSpike
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005

View Profile
February 16, 2012, 06:24:53 PM

Black = ??

I wrote some initial non-comprehensive draft about the game and what you're seeing. There will be more information as I update it.

http://kibabase.com/articles/the-city-game-design

http://kibabase.com/articles/gameplay-description-of-the-city
Cool, thanks!
kiba (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
February 17, 2012, 04:48:28 AM

Primary work is on the combat system today. I should be finishing it anytime now. Once that is done, I will put in the final piece for this particular milestone.

kiba (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
February 18, 2012, 07:13:23 AM

I finish all the milestone goals for "Stage 2" of development. What a journey! I am letting the weekend ferment the game into a polished and unbuggy but unfinished game while also giving me time to write a report.

Phew! I am glad that I have the grit to continue for more than 2 month in development. Time will tell if I will spend decades developing this game.

kiba (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
February 18, 2012, 09:46:57 PM

A report on the game: http://kibabase.com/articles/the-city-stage-2-development-report

senbonzakura

Activity: 602
Merit: 502

View Profile
February 19, 2012, 01:55:34 AM

watching
kiba (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
February 19, 2012, 06:27:43 AM

I did a pure bugfix coding session. I discovered a lot of drawing bugs that are now fixed. I still have a couple more to go.

kiba (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
February 21, 2012, 03:05:19 AM

Thanks to whoever donate 5 BTC!

I lost a day in development, because I was busy revising an article, submitting it to Hacker News, and watching traffic spike. Then, my internet connection went down. So I didn't have a chance to work on the game that night.

dree12
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1077

View Profile
February 21, 2012, 03:27:28 AM

The game seems to freeze whenever I place a crystal stockpile on the edge. Do you have a place to report bugs?
kiba (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
February 21, 2012, 03:30:28 AM

The game seems to freeze whenever I place a crystal stockpile on the edge. Do you have a place to report bugs?
Bug is known. I have a github page for this: https://github.com/kiba/The-City/issues?sort=created&direction=desc&state=open

kiba (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
February 21, 2012, 03:37:25 PM

First day development resume. I spent all my time fixing annoying pixel imperfection because drawing efficiently is a complex affair. Otherwise, the game now autofocus so that you no longer have to click on the game to start playing with it.

kiba (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
February 21, 2012, 03:42:43 PM

Bug is known. I have a github page for this: https://github.com/kiba/The-City/issues?sort=created&direction=desc&state=open

Now it's closed.

kiba (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
February 22, 2012, 03:45:49 PM

I realized that I didn't deploy yesterday. I'll have to change my policy again so that it won't happen again. Also, I will be working on code that massively disrupt the game's codebase, so don't expect new deployment as often.

For today, I added more information in game on how to use it and prepare for work on pathfinding, which consists of adding walls to the game and building a scenario for it.

I also wrote more on the overall development arc, including what's to be expected in the next few weeks as far as development goes.

http://kibabase.com/articles/the-city-development-arc-the-conveyor-belt

kiba (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
February 23, 2012, 05:12:45 AM

I did another coding session before the day is out. This time, you won't see much of anything change, because I am merely changing the underlying data structure. I also started work on pathfinding. Tomorrow should be the day when I focus exclusively on pathfinding. With any luck, we may be able to accomplish the weekly goal list before it's supposed to get started.

kiba (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
February 24, 2012, 07:37:47 AM

No deployment yet. Various bugs and kinks are worked out after the pathfinding system break up everything. I think there's more to fix before I do a deployment. There's also the issue of the algorithm for pathfinding may not be implemented properly. It's my first time with a pathfinding algorithm though.

Tomorrow is video devlog day, in which I will record a youtube video to show off what I been working this week.

kiba (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
February 25, 2012, 02:21:47 PM

Yesterday, I was too tired to do some work and spent most of my time sleeping.

Note to self: no more sugary drinks

Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: