Bitcoin Forum
April 27, 2024, 02:04:30 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: A Development Thread for a Game funded With Bitcoin  (Read 4564 times)
kiba (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1014

View Profile
February 28, 2012, 07:10:08 AM

After several days of codewacking with the pathfinding, I finally hammered it back into a usable shape. The game now have true pathfinding, HURRAH!

Also, I got started on procedural generation. First, I got rid of the white floors, and stop generating them completely random. Instead, I path to each blue squares with gray floors. It's not completed, and I am not sure that's how I want the streets to be like that anyway.

I should be generating buildings at some point later this week.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Even in the event that an attacker gains more than 50% of the network's computational power, only transactions sent by the attacker could be reversed or double-spent. The network would not be destroyed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
weex
Legendary

Activity: 1102

View Profile
February 29, 2012, 04:44:08 AM

Ok, I'm starting to see some logical action of Hs going from dark blue to the light blue squares I put down. I was hoping the Hs would choose closer crystal piles when I set them down but what fun would that be? Glad to see it moving from totally conceptual to slightly functional. Is there a way to see any stats on this crystal gathering process?
kiba (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
February 29, 2012, 06:09:27 AM

Ok, I'm starting to see some logical action of Hs going from dark blue to the light blue squares I put down. I was hoping the Hs would choose closer crystal piles when I set them down but what fun would that be? Glad to see it moving from totally conceptual to slightly functional. Is there a way to see any stats on this crystal gathering process?

Finally. Some feedback!

Status is mainly in the form of crystal piles going from black to blue. The changes is very subtle, so it only let you gauge somewhat vaguely.

I just finished developing the tooltip system today. It let you see figure out what object is on the map, although it doesn't see any description of units. In any case, the tooltip will be an ideal place to learn about how much crystals are in a single pile.

In other news, I did some work on thickening the paths between crystal trees and getting it looks right. That doesn't seem much, but behind the scene, I am really building the proper toolkit that allows me to generate buildings.

kiba (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
March 03, 2012, 01:51:34 AM

What I been doing for the last few days is just working on the terrain system. It's a hell lot more work than I thought.

I also built a primitive help page. It's not much but it's better than nothing. In addition, I worked on scenario reloading to help me test better. The game is now 3.5 Kloc!

kiba (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
March 12, 2012, 09:42:41 PM

It may seems that I been dead for a whole week or something, but I am continuing my mission!

Right now, I am developing tree cutting and mechanism to support tree cutting. I plan to complete the feature with "TIMBER!" everytime the logger cut down a tree. It will also have "accident" mechanism in which an unlucky creature stuck at the wrong location and the wrong time will die in a tree felling accident.

Anyway, I scaled back development way back since people are not donating any BTC to justify my desire for full time development.

weex
Legendary

Activity: 1102

View Profile
March 13, 2012, 04:25:15 AM

Can you give us something to do while the H's are doing their crystal/wood collecting thing? Like maybe you can hide some items in the darkness or have us so some simple math or something? I think to have much more support, you need to give your users some satisfaction of having completed something.
kiba (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
March 13, 2012, 07:11:14 AM

Can you give us something to do while the H's are doing their crystal/wood collecting thing? Like maybe you can hide some items in the darkness or have us so some simple math or something? I think to have much more support, you need to give your users some satisfaction of having completed something.

I'll have to divert my development effort to add a small worthless placeholder feature in the game that takes an hour to implement. This meant, the tree chopping with satisifying "TIMBER" notice will arrive slower, along with other gameplay feature that are in the pipeline. Keep in mind that my time spent on this project is by necessarily limited due to low donation. It's a real opportunity cost.

Important gameplay features come first. Next is the tutorial and system that allow players to discover and learn how to play this game. The rest of everything is on the backburner.

Few donate because nobody found the game interesting yet. Some people even thought that this game will never be fun! So my priority number one is to build the big system needed to have fun. Resource gathering, production, military organization, combat simulation, social system, etc.

kiba (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
March 13, 2012, 05:37:18 PM

I noticed a file about the base unit system is 145 LOC long. That trigger a MANDATORY rewrite. The remedy was code reorganization. The combat mechanic got a whole file dedicated to itself.  This took a significant chunk of my time out of what I am supposed to work on. The upside is that we get cleaner code which will save me time in the future.

Next, I continue work on the meta system for jobs so that stockpiles can assign several different type of jobs at the same time.

dree12
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1077

View Profile
March 15, 2012, 02:20:25 PM

I noticed a file about the base unit system is 145 LOC long. That trigger a MANDATORY rewrite.
Is 145 LOC too long for a base unit system? Considering this is JS, that seems awfully short.
kiba (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
March 16, 2012, 03:18:21 AM

Is 145 LOC too long for a base unit system? Considering this is JS, that seems awfully short.

Who would think 145 LOC is awfully short?  Shocked Now, it's written in coffeescript and I only care about coffeescript. The output might be bizarrely complex for all I care.  Grin
It is per my hacking policy that I slim down any file longer 100 LOC to take care of technical debt that accumulates. You don't want to spend all your time writing them up and making it clean only to mess them up with extreme code addition but you don't want to wait too long to the point that it slow down your coding to a screeching halt either.

Anyway, my output is too irregular lately, thought it's a normal considering that I have my up and downs in motivation.

Lately, the code been giving me hell as I come to grip with old code and try to understand it. I reorganized the map file once again(it exceeds 100 LOC regularly), consolidating collision check functions into the Collision class. That gave me a lot of errors in my code in which I have to jump around to find. Very frustrating since the environment don't produce useful stack trace to use.

I finally got the gatherer unit to look for timber, not trees. However, there's a bug in which it will pick up a timber at the stockpile location and drop it at the same location again and again, which took me a while to figure out.

I tried to use an untested collision function that unsurprisingly doesn't work. I'll have to figure out how to make it work.

kiba (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
March 17, 2012, 02:39:38 AM

It turned out that my collision function was already tested and useful! I also figured out how to use the "debugger" statement, which will allow me to figure out all kind of stuff faster.

Anyway, I solved the bug behind gathering timber. Now timber actually disappear and picked up and dropped, etc... We now move on to add addictive cutting, which mean that if you want to chop down a tree, you have to do it several time! For tree, it takes 10 times. Cutting down logs will always take one time. I did some preparatory work on floating texts so that we can have "TIMBER" and chopping texts for cutting. (In the future, we might have audio sounds for those kind of things)

Also, a lot of thing are broken, so once the logging feature is completed, I will begin to fix all those regressions that are around before we can do a deploy.

Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  

Jump to: