Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 08:57:08 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Basic Electric problem  (Read 1582 times)
mintymark (OP)

Activity: 286
Merit: 251

View Profile
February 12, 2012, 03:51:52 PM

Ok, this is really off topic, but its baffling me!.

I have an out building (yes, it houses the bitcoin mine but thats not at all the point.)

I wanted to move the light switch, the building is like a corridor, and I wanted to move the switch to the door instead of having it in the middle where it is now and where I suspect the previous owner of the house installed it.

To actually make the connection of my new wired switch I wanted to switch of the electricity.
I could not find the breaker to switch it off. Eventually, I switched of most of the breakers in the house. I went to check. The light is on! Worse, the switch no longer works.  Its on sort of like half-brightness. Its a small flourscent tube. 

So turning most of the breakers in the hose off, causes the light to come on half-brightness, and the switch to not work. How could that be?

Turning the breakers back on restored normal operation with the switch working as normal.

Can anyone explain a possible fault scenario? I mean I suspect the wiring was done wrong, something like the live is taken to the neutral and when switched off it runs through other connected loads in the house backwards as it were, but I cannot in my own mind imagine a scenario that works like this.

Help please!!

[[ All Tips gratefully received!!  ]]
15ta5d1N8mKkgC47SRWmnZABEFyP55RrqD

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Each block is stacked on top of the previous one. Adding another block to the top makes all lower blocks more difficult to remove: there is more "weight" above each block. A transaction in a block 6 blocks deep (6 confirmations) will be very difficult to remove.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
mintymark (OP)

Activity: 286
Merit: 251

View Profile
February 12, 2012, 06:20:28 PM

Ok, well I solved it, and the solution is not at all what I expected, in fact I was looking in completely the wrong direction.

In the end I turned of the electric supply to the entire house.

Imagine my surprise when the light was still on!!! The switch made no difference, as before.

Now I finally understood. The light must be one that contains a backup battery for fire escape purposes, but dont ask me why that is installed in my outhouse!!

So gingerly did I cut into the wire, with scalpel and gloved hands!! But there was no sign of any live wires.

Once my new switch was connected and the electricity turned on again, all worked exactly as expected!!

[[ All Tips gratefully received!!  ]]
15ta5d1N8mKkgC47SRWmnZABEFyP55RrqD
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
February 12, 2012, 06:28:41 PM

The light must be one that contains a backup battery for fire escape purposes, but dont ask me why that is installed in my outhouse!!

That was my first guess.

Don't forget to turn off the light, dear!
kjlimo
Legendary

Activity: 2086
Merit: 1031

View Profile WWW
February 12, 2012, 07:00:27 PM

The light must be one that contains a backup battery for fire escape purposes, but dont ask me why that is installed in my outhouse!!

That was my first guess.

Double decker outhouse?  that seems like a bad idea... haha

And good to hear of your backup battery discovery.  I'll keep that in mind for future electrical work!

Coinbase for selling BTCs
Fold for spending BTCs
PM me with any questions on these sites/apps!  http://www.montybitcoin.com

or Vircurex for trading alt cryptocurrencies like DOGEs
CoinNinja for exploring the blockchain.
TheHeroMember

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
February 14, 2012, 03:39:38 AM

Ok, this is really off topic, but its baffling me!.

I have an out building (yes, it houses the bitcoin mine but thats not at all the point.)

I wanted to move the light switch, the building is like a corridor, and I wanted to move the switch to the door instead of having it in the middle where it is now and where I suspect the previous owner of the house installed it.

To actually make the connection of my new wired switch I wanted to switch of the electricity.
I could not find the breaker to switch it off. Eventually, I switched of most of the breakers in the house. I went to check. The light is on! Worse, the switch no longer works.  Its on sort of like half-brightness. Its a small flourscent tube. 

So turning most of the breakers in the hose off, causes the light to come on half-brightness, and the switch to not work. How could that be?

Turning the breakers back on restored normal operation with the switch working as normal.

Can anyone explain a possible fault scenario? I mean I suspect the wiring was done wrong, something like the live is taken to the neutral and when switched off it runs through other connected loads in the house backwards as it were, but I cannot in my own mind imagine a scenario that works like this.

Help please!!

I'm suspecting that the connection is in "Series" when it's turned "Off". When its turned "On" it's connection is on parallel.

Hey Guys! WWW.FREEBITCOINS.ORG introduces "Epic December Contest" where you can Win Sweet Casascius Coins !!!
TheHeroMember

View Profile WWW
February 15, 2012, 12:57:29 AM

That was my first guess.

Cool rest room.  Cheesy

Hey Guys! WWW.FREEBITCOINS.ORG introduces "Epic December Contest" where you can Win Sweet Casascius Coins !!!
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
February 15, 2012, 05:23:14 AM

That was my first guess.

Cool rest room.  Cheesy

I designed it myself. The way it works is that the seat is upstairs and I wait for a pretty woman to go up and use it. At that time I sneak it at the bottom (secret door) and I look up while she's pooping and...and...hmmm! My other idea is...
TheHeroMember

View Profile WWW
February 15, 2012, 10:07:48 AM

That was my first guess.

Cool rest room.  Cheesy

I designed it myself. The way it works is that the seat is upstairs and I wait for a pretty woman to go up and use it. At that time I sneak it at the bottom (secret door) and I look up while she's pooping and...and...hmmm! My other idea is...

LOL, and the view of the world below is as beautiful as watching a 3D movie.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: