Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 02:59:59 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Let's be honest. I love Bitcoin because...  (Read 742 times)
Kluge (OP)
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1015

View Profile
June 02, 2014, 03:25:14 AM

Finished with today's work, I am a bit intoxicated. Forgive me, try to change me, ignore me, agree with me, or kill me. Grin tl;dr - Though with strong practical reasons for use (lower fees, convenience, generally uninflatable by government), I believe Bitcoin and cryptocurrencies in general will move us toward a society favoring pluralism, where people disregard laws in favor of their views on morality, and away from individual bureaucrats who view themselves as robotic law enforcement officers rather than men with guns, gavels, or law licenses who're given, through violent means (and I don't mean to disparage this), the privilege of a wider range of acceptable-violence scenarios and who have the power of choice. Bitcoin's obvious-to-all, practical improvements entice me, but the societal changes it facilitates - humans as equals rather than always in a dominant-submissive relationship - excites me.

1) I'm cheap. Not only is buying bitcoin one of the few rational-seeming choices for savings (heading toward being deflationary) and cheapness (low fees, high efficiency), ESPECIALLY for the young (I don't think many older folk - and I'm speaking as an American, here - understand how strongly we want out of the dollar and the government-sponsored monopolies which inhabit the USD space). I won't post anything on eBay not because I have some vendetta against them but because I like keeping my money. This is not an ideological position, but a practical one. The massive fees indicate the current system is broken, and I'm very willing to risk coins to essentially vet current BTC businesses.

2) I like many older people who speak their minds openly (which seems pretty rare among the youth), but in general, I resent old people. They've given us what we have, and I hate what I'm left with. I want to ditch their money and eliminate social security in particular ASAP because it sure as Hell ain't gonna be around (in any net-beneficial format) when I reach retirement age, so as far as I can tell, it's a a spit in my face. If they're deserving of care, someone will fund their existence, but I don't feel obligated to support them all, and find it offensive that anyone would be willing to violate me on the premise that I should. In general, I find resistance toward government a resistance against the bullshit situation our parents and grandparents left us, and to some extent, against our own family. Most of all, it's just disappointing to see what's been left us. We have a ruined environment, a broken government, and a system where we're struggling and still forced to keep the old in a comfortable lifestyle. From a nihilistic position though, I don't blame old people at all - but that's the only perspective from which I find them blameless, so it's awesome when you'll find old farts bashing nihilism as a destructive force corrupting the young.

3) Very related to #2, I view Bitcoin and other cryptocurrencies as an effective opt-out solution to strict application of law by algorithms, zombies, and robots. I would be willing to be imprisoned to fight the system extra-judicially (I don't mean to indicate violence, here) and hope many of my peers would, too. I believe we're much larger in number than we believe, largely because we're afraid of the effects of honesty, but I believe there's nothing to fear. I would leave my family behind and see them imprisoned, too, to get out of keeping the current system limping along, and I'm somewhat willing to flaunt it, but I'll sure be honest about it. I have nothing against LEOs. They're people. They're bureaucrats. They have power to enforce and also to choose not to enforce. I view LEOs as the real front-line against tyranny, not the enforcers of tyranny, though they can choose to be. Just this morning, I was with a group pulled over by a sheriff. We had a quick exchange and he let me go, without a seat belt latched, proper insurance, and with whiskey at my side (as a passenger), because he understood us after a very quick Q&A. I greatly appreciate and respect him. Because everyone has choices and power, I find the "it's my job" position absolutely deplorable, and I'd spit on the first person to ever take such a position with me under threat of imprisonment (especially while drunk!). He's not corrupt or uncaring, but human, and I think we largely lack that as a society. I think the argument that policemen are some type of uneducated gun-wielding sociopaths is both unfounded and comes from an origin rooted in stupidity. They simply dislike being disrespected (because - surprise, surprise! - they're human), so when a bunch of people come at them with videocameras, giving them a hard time and trying to paint them as some type of Gestapo without even having a real dialogue, I am a bit pleased when they're imprisoned. Fuck the laws and the idiot "libertarians" who hide behind them to try justifying being arrogant pricks, but fuck bureaucrats who hide behind the same facade, too.

4) Bitcoin allows me to stay away from the public as part of a larger move away from constant interaction with other humans. I take bad interactions quite poorly and hold a grudge for life so long as I remember the wrong. I observe for a long time, trying not to make a splash, then come to a harsh judgment, either in polarized favor or opposition to the entity. I haven't been able to correct this likely-unhealthy behavior, so I'm pleased to be away from people as much as possible, both in informal and formal business situations. I'm untrusting, much more an observer than a schmoozer (though I put real effort in the latter for the sake of money), and am very pleased to see Bitcoin launch us into the next generation of non-interaction to obtain the necessities and exchange ideas. Any time I give money or interact anymore, I assume I'm wasting my money or breath, with faith in an ideal or at least non-suck potential being proven wrong, which itself I value. Depersonalization of ideas and actions, I believe, is the cornerstone of a rational society, though this may simply be confirmation bias from a relatively unsocial person.

5) Bitcoin's convenient, and this is part of the depersonalization aspect I very much appreciate. I heard a radio advertisement from a bank, recently, and they literally tried suggesting that people should choose them because they're the "curious bank." Fuckin' what?! I don't want entities (especially corporations) in my business, whether they think it's their business to protect me or to act as the government's boots on the grounds to prevent the fictitious crime of money laundering. I don't want to deal with banks'/governments' "curiosity." I want to send or receive money simply, without entering in my credit card details, SSN, and the origin of the funds. I sure as Hell am not going to be presenting my veins for robotic memorization and scrutiny to buy BTC. Roll Eyes

6) Bitcoin has a strong showing of people willing to oppose the government and come out of their shell (even if only for anonymity rather than just having an audience of people judged relatively receptive to their ideas). I'm of course attracted to like-minded individuals, and I believe Bitcoin itself, as well as this forum, has helped to show the ideology is not some tiny movement which can be propaganda'd into believing they are nonexistent and without support. I greatly respect Andreas Antonopuolos and the discussions he sparks. I'm appreciative of the discussions Shrem and others have sparked. I love the defiance in the community, partially because I think it tends to only be found in the open-minded, but also because we're often in agreement.

Basically, I'd love to find a more open-minded population willing to have direct and open-minded discussions on the fate of another person, and depersonalized arguments when it comes to philosophy. I'd love to see more pluralism, and though I often take polarized stances, would just like to see more tolerance and empathy, not only toward things we can relate to, but toward anything which "seems to be reasonable within reasonable doubt." I don't believe someone who kills another while not in immediate danger should automatically face four years to life in prison, and I certainly don't think a "money launderer" (which I consider an activist) should face more harsh judgments than a murderer, but this is the legal system we have, and I'd love to kill it. Ignoring practical reasons - Bitcoin, to me, is a gateway for society to move further into anonymity and depersonalization of ideas. I believe Bitcoin will strengthen pluralist ideals within the global society and help us move in a socially liberal direction where you don't have to like gay sex or executions in public, but are more willing to tolerate it if a case can be presented that it's circumstantially reasonable, NOT that it's legal. -And, should you find that person's act unreasonable and can present a solid and consistent moral argument supporting your actualized response, I don't think we should violently prevent all killings of a person who should kill the person they disagree with.

Deep down, what really attracts you to Bitcoin?
If you want to be a moderator, report many posts with accuracy. You will be noticed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
KonstantinosM

Activity: 1492
Merit: 763

Life is a taxable event

View Profile
June 02, 2014, 03:59:49 AM

Deep down is this helplessness I feel towards doing the things I love, I don't want to be living in the old system, being exploited by my employer. I want to simply deal with the least amount of people, if I want to go on a trip to Greenland I don't want people checking me on the border, having to submit to complicated taxation and have to have a bank account.

I don't want to owe anyone that I haven't met. I won't to know what I have and to go into contracts not because I was forced to but because I wanted to.

Bitcoin allows me not to have to deal with banks and this empowers me. I walked into a bank to get some papers notarized the other day and one of the employees was trying to make me get a checking account. On and on she went and I said solid arguments as to why I don't want one.

I'm not going to get a serious job for a year, I have no personal bills now, I don't want one.

She kept going.

I wanted to say that banks are useless, that I hope bitcoin catches on and they step back to where they belong, but I didn't.

In truth the employee of the bank wouldn't be trying to coerce me into a decision if the banks didn't have a monopoly of controlling how we pay everyone and how we get payed.

I don't want to have to deal with some all powerful, greedy third party, I want my money to go where I want it to go, when I want it to go.

You give me some oranges I give you a bitcent, transaction over. Instead of you give me some oranges, I send you some money, the bank skims 10% off the top and charges you some weird fee, just because.

Syscoin has the best of Bitcoin and Ethereum in one place, it's merge mined with Bitcoin so it is plugged into Bitcoin's ecosystem and takes full advantage of it's POW while rewarding Bitcoin miners with Syscoin
Ron~Popeil

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 02, 2014, 04:49:51 AM

I love bit coin because it is the only money i can have that is truly mine. They can't use it as a weapon against me or anyone else and because if we reach mass adoption governments will be forced to shrink and adapt. Government should fear the people and not the other way around. I think bit coin can get us back to that idea.

Mike Christ
aka snapsunny
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1003

View Profile
June 02, 2014, 05:33:20 AM

I'm in the same boat as you.

Levis

Activity: 53
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 02, 2014, 05:29:17 PM

I am attracted that ecosystem is self-regulating. Nowadays this parameter is main in monetary relations worldwide  Smiley
Chef Ramsay
Legendary

Activity: 1568
Merit: 1001

View Profile
June 02, 2014, 11:12:20 PM

Because resistance to tyranny is obedience to God. Thread title should be renamed to Kluge's Treatise on Bitcoin. Grin You should come out to Ann Arbor sometime and I'll buy you a burger or whatever for lunch.
Ron~Popeil

View Profile
June 03, 2014, 12:02:02 AM

Because resistance to tyranny is obedience to God. Thread title should be renamed to Kluge's Treatise on Bitcoin. Grin You should come out to Ann Arbor sometime and I'll buy you a burger or whatever for lunch.

The burgers and beer are much better in Columbus.  Grin

roslinpl
Legendary

Activity: 2212
Merit: 1199

View Profile WWW
June 03, 2014, 12:10:11 AM

When I heard 1st time about BTC I was like:

I remember me talking to myself Smiley -"One day I will have a bitcoin!"

I wasn't able to buy any then.. but Bitcoin made me search for new methods of earning Smiley

And I started to do tasks for bitcoin! I do it till today and I found that in my country it is easier to find a job over the internet for a bitcoin than get a legit job in my city.

Which is confusing.   But this is main reason why I love bitcoin - it will bring a freedom for economy! People are able to trasfer money worldwide without big fees and delays ... this is perhaps the best part.

Well I can write a long open letter to Bitcoin to tell him how much I love him! Smiley And to Satoshi Nakamoto! For saving the world from /of global economy collapse!

And community around bitcoin.. I feel like we are all a family even if we don't know each other - we are the Bitcoiners!

Bitcoin is a game changer. A brick to build.

commandrix

Activity: 798
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 03, 2014, 02:22:22 AM

Those are some good reasons. Really I started taking cryptocurrencies including Bitcoin in my blogstore because I wanted to move away from Paypal and its fees. (Not to mention eBay.) And now I've figured out that it's not hard to make a decent profit on Mintpal if I just watch it and don't make a typo. And all without paying any stupid eTrade fees.
Chef Ramsay
Legendary

Activity: 1568
Merit: 1001

View Profile
June 03, 2014, 02:32:25 AM

To be real, when I first heard about Bitcoin it reminds me the first time I tried to use Twitter, meaning I had issues figuring it out. Then, I kept hearing ads about it on Free Talk Live plus the hosts discussing over and over most of 2011 and all of 2012 and it began to annoy the crap out of me. I kept hearing the increases in pricing but nothing really sunk in until the build up to the runup back in March of last year and I finally decided to learn all I could on it, which brought me here to lurk. I bought quite a bit back then and then kept sinking them into miners and mining contracts not knowing eventually how those things turned out. Back then, I usually acted first and then did more research. Roll Eyes But, I've come to love crypto even tho I'm not a tech or computer person simply because I saw it as a way to opt out and stop using their (the state's) money.

I'm more of a sports kind of guy and spend some of my free time in the gym, always had. I had been a Libertarian growing up as a kid in the 90s because on the way to sports practices, my dad would always have on talk radio and there was this Objectivist named Mark Scott on one of the big stations here back then. We did a lot of traveling to and from practices and games so my dad drilled the Constitution and liberty related themes down my throat and they stuck in a big way. He even gave me Ayn Rand books to read despite us being Catholic. Right around age 13 or so I joined the Libertarian Party w/ my allowance money and then went to meetings, conventions, rallies and such once I could drive and always brought a few friends along for the ride. I had found out about this one decent libertarianish Republican Congressman named Ron Paul and always thought it was so cool to have a elected Rep like that. Then, he started to run for Pres in 2007 and I started maturing my activism into the GOP and that's where I am today. But, while I was a total politico back then, I'm more of a political ancap today. And, I really understand and appreciate what Rand Paul is doing in terms of building upon what his father did. Most ancaps do not. I call them skin flints. Cheesy
Este Nuno
Legendary

Activity: 826
Merit: 1000

amarha

View Profile
June 03, 2014, 06:03:17 PM

I think a lot of people share the same core reasoning with regard to why the love bitcoin. For me and presumably most other people the biggest one is that it enables me to have complete control over part of my financial resources. There's always the risk of bank accounts or online wallets closing your accounts and freezing your funds over reasons that are beyond your control. Not having to worry about other people taking your money is very important to me. As long as you've properly secured your wallet you have nothing to worry about.

Another huge thing is the transferring of value worldwide pretty much instantly(depending on whether you wait for confirmations or not). As I've spent a lot of the last 10 years of my life outside of my home country and now that I have bitcoin it's made things a lot easier and cheaper.
Clegg

Activity: 176
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 03, 2014, 06:08:37 PM

I love everything about it. I think it could genuinely become revolutionary.
nabeton

Activity: 137

View Profile
June 04, 2014, 09:46:27 PM

Ok, let's be honest.

I can say, quite large portion of my "love" to bitcoin is supported by vision of profit .. in far future.

Other hand, I'm interested in also because it's something quite new, not so widely spread. I like trying new things, experimenting making myself bit different from others.

And last portion, which is increasing over time is convenience.
I did not start with BTC because I want to use it as payment "processor" (again, my main reason was vision of profit). But as time flow, I found it very handy to use. There are more and more shops, companies, users accepting bitcoins and it has great potential hidden in.

Ron~Popeil

View Profile
June 04, 2014, 10:12:06 PM

Ok, let's be honest.

I can say, quite large portion of my "love" to bitcoin is supported by vision of profit .. in far future.

Other hand, I'm interested in also because it's something quite new, not so widely spread. I like trying new things, experimenting making myself bit different from others.

And last portion, which is increasing over time is convenience.
I did not start with BTC because I want to use it as payment "processor" (again, my main reason was vision of profit). But as time flow, I found it very handy to use. There are more and more shops, companies, users accepting bitcoins and it has great potential hidden in.

Even if it never made me rich just the slimmest hope of a more peaceful world where no one is economically disenfranchised makes it an easy thing to support.

optimator

Activity: 351

View Profile WWW
June 04, 2014, 10:20:19 PM

I love it because I believe it truly has the power to bring equality to the world. Individuals who have been previously barred from participating in the world's economy can now start.

The implications of trustless distributed transactions are mind blowing and I believe we haven't yet scratched the surface.

JohnnyLightning

Activity: 223

View Profile
June 05, 2014, 06:05:58 AM

Let's be honest. I love Bitcoin because...

Government doesn't.

★ ★ ★ ★ ★   DeepOnion    Anonymous and Untraceable Cryptocurrency    TOR INTEGRATED & SECURED   ★ ★ ★ ★ ★
› › › › ›  JOIN THE NEW AIRDROP ✈️        VERIFIED WITH DEEPVAULT  ‹ ‹ ‹ ‹ ‹
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬   ANN  WHITEPAPER  FACEBOOK  TWITTER  YOUTUBE  FORUM   ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: