Bitcoin Forum
May 10, 2024, 02:19:04 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: King Arthur's Gold considering accepting Bitcoin  (Read 2198 times)
BTCurious (OP)

Activity: 714
Merit: 504

^SEM img of Si wafer edge, scanned 2012-3-12.

View Profile
February 12, 2012, 07:54:12 PM

Has anyone heard of King Arthur's Gold?
KAG is one the first build'n'kill games in the world. It's a game about mining, building castles, destroying your enemies and collapsing their castle. It is a side-scrolling 2D action multiplayer war game with focus on building, constructing siege machines and intense PvP combat. Some inspirations for the game are Soldat, Minecraft, Dungeon Keeper & Ace of Spades. Currently available on Windows, Linux & MacOSX.

Basically, you build castles, walls, towers, siege weapons, and attack the other team's castles, walls, towers, etc. If you remove the support for a tower, the entire thing collapses. You can attack directly, try to build a huge sky-bridge, try to tunnel there, catapult yourself there, prevent others from getting to you with trapdoor'ed spike pits, bombs, arrows, chargestrikes, catapults, etc.

Anyway, it's fun. Multiplayer (64 players, anyone?), and free, although in the future there will be premium accounts getting more stuff.

Youtube link:

Anyway, they're currently looking at new payment options. I suggested bitcoin wherever I could (Google+, Facebook, their questionnaire), and at some point got into a long discussion about bitcoin on their IRC channel. (Basically whenever someone helps me on IRC, I suggest they post a bitcoin address so I can send them a few bitcents for their help. This has twice now led to some people learning about and installing bitcoin Smiley)

Anyway, a while later:
[17:15] <@Shadlington> Quick scan up
[17:15] <@Shadlington> Too much to read since I went afk
[17:15] <@Shadlington> But you were talking bitcoins?
[17:15] <@Shadlington> People keep banging on about them on the kag G+ page
[17:35] <@Shadlington> How easy is it to cash out bitcoins?
[17:35] <@Shadlington> And how easy is it to setup a payment system that accept them/
[17:35] <Ej> no idea, he didnt tell it
[17:35] <Ej> we were mainly asking about bitcoins farms
[17:35] <Ej> and losing your hardrive with key
[17:36] <@Shadlington> Yeah those are the two things that would affect my willingness to consider bitcoins for kag
[17:37] <@Shadlington> Anyways who was the guy that knew all about them/
[17:37] <Raron> Idk
[17:37] <@Shadlington> Might quiz him
[17:38] <@Shadlington> nick?
[17:39] <Ej> the guy is Mqrius
[17:40] <Ej> and he is here
[17:40] <Ej> but afking
[17:41] <Raron> how can you buy bitcoins anyway
[17:41] <@Shadlington> Mqrius, chat to me about bitcoins when you're back, if I'm here
[17:41] <@Shadlington> Or else just PM me on forums :p
[17:41] <@Shadlington> I am genuinely curious

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The Bitcoin network protocol was designed to be extremely flexible. It can be used to create timed transactions, escrow transactions, multi-signature transactions, etc. The current features of the client only hint at what will be possible in the future.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
BTCurious (OP)

View Profile
February 12, 2012, 08:01:27 PM
Last edit: February 12, 2012, 10:05:53 PM by BTCurious

So, when I got back, and he got online again, I got into a talk. The most important excerpts:

[19:40] <Shadlington> If we go for it I'll push for bit pay
[19:40] <Mqrius> For you guys, I think a payment processor is the best solution, yeah
[19:40] <Shadlington> Was just looking at that page you linked and was thinking it sounded good
[19:41] <Shadlington> Especially as it seems it'll pay into your bank account
[19:41] <Shadlington> So we don't need to worry about the exchange bit
[19:41] <Mqrius> Setting up manual requires technical background info. Not to set it up, but to check if you're setting it up correctly
[19:41] <Mqrius> Yeah, you can choose if you want to be paid in bank-account-money or bitcoin, I think
[19:41] <Shadlington> So really all we have to do is plug in to their api and it'll handle the complicated stuff?
[19:41] <Mqrius> Yup
[19:42] <Shadlington> Excellent
[19:42] <Shadlington> Sounds good
[19:42] <Mqrius> I think it works just like paypal in terms of customer and salesman ease, except that they accept bitcoin
[19:42] <Shadlington> I'll talk to our web guy to see if he'd be comfortable writing the necessary stuff for that (I suspect so) and then push it on MM
[19:42] <Mqrius> (People doing things manually usually have a standing sale order on an exchange, and send all coins to the exchange immediately, where they are sold. That way the time between selling KAG and turning the bitcoins into USD or whatever is short)
[19:42] <Shadlington> Thanks very much for your help
[19:43] <Mqrius> I suggest contacting Tony
[19:43] <Shadlington> Sure
[19:43] <Mqrius> He'll be able to help with any questions easily
[19:43] <Mqrius> Even if you choose not to go for that eventually
[19:43] <Shadlington> Need to discuss with the other first though
[19:43] <Shadlington> I am a lesser member of the team, don't have the authority to make decisions like this
[19:44] <Mqrius> Yeah, I understand. I hope I can transfer some of my enthousiasm to you though
[19:44] <Shadlington> Hehe
[19:44] <Shadlington> I like the idea
[19:44] <Shadlington> Already did
[19:44] <Shadlington> I love supporting shit like this
[19:44] <Shadlington> Just practicalities that get in the way
[19:45] <Shadlington> And if they're not difficult to overcome, then why not
[20:10] <Shadlington> I know Geti has heard of it too
[20:10] <Shadlington> Don't remember what he said about it though
[20:11] <Shadlington> I think he was hesitant to commit to supporting it
[20:11] <Shadlington> Because he didn't know about it
[20:11] <Mqrius> Geti does webdev, right?
[20:11] <Shadlington> Nah
[20:11] <Shadlington> He is one of the 2 game devs
[20:11] <Shadlington> And does all the art
[20:11] <Mqrius> Oh right
[20:11] <Shadlington> Geti & MM are the core team
[20:11] <Mqrius> right
[20:11] <Mqrius> Not knowing about it can be remedied by learning about it Tongue
[20:11] <Shadlington> Yeah
[20:12] <Shadlington> But I didn't finish
[20:12] <Shadlington> I think he assumed it would be tricky to make it pay out in 'real' monies
[20:12] <Shadlington> As I thought could possibly be the case too
[20:12] <Shadlington> but anyways, that doesn't appear to be the case so I see no reason he can't be convinced
[20:12] <Shadlington> Also, I could be mis-remembering
[20:13] <Shadlington> This was a conversation a long time ago
[20:13] <Shadlington> Actually
[20:13] <Shadlington> Found log
[20:13] <Shadlington> He is for bitcoins
[20:13] <Mqrius> Yeah, bit-pay makes it trivial. Manual is also rather easy: I think you can have international payouts to a bankaccount every now and then, so it could even arrive in Polish money
[20:13] <Mqrius> Oooh nice
[20:14] <Mqrius> Show him bitpay Smiley
[20:14] <Shadlington> But doesn't think they're 'worth it' because they aren't widely used enough
[20:14] <Shadlington> But if its easy its worth it
[20:14] <Mqrius> Archive.org started accepting bitcoin donations, and got about 400 BTC in a week, iirc. That's about 2000 usd
[20:14] <Mqrius> Don't know how much they got now Tongue
[20:15] <Shadlington> Oh, sick
[20:15] <Shadlington> Okay well that's good news anyways
[20:16] <Shadlington> I'm pretty sure I can make a somewhat convincing argument anyways
[20:16] <Mqrius> You'll get /at least/ one sale, from me xD
[20:16] <Shadlington> Haha
[20:17] <Mqrius> The current worth of bitcoin is about $50 million
[20:17] <Mqrius> There should be plenty for KAG Wink
[20:17] <Shadlington> Ha
[20:18] <Shadlington> How much gets used for purchases of goods, on a daily basis, dya think?
[20:18] <Shadlington> I thought a lot of people hoarded it
[20:20] <Mqrius> I don't know exactly. According to Tony: "I'd say tens of thousands at the moment.  Somewhere between 10k and 100k in dollar terms"
[20:20] <Shadlington> You talking to him right now?
[20:20] <Mqrius> Yeah, I've got him on skype
[20:20] <Shadlington> Oh, cool
[20:20] <Shadlington> Smiley
[20:20] <Mqrius> Yeah Smiley
[20:20] <Shadlington> That sounds like a good amount anyways
[20:21] <Shadlington> I just want to be able to say to Geti/MM 'people use it!!!'
[20:34] <Shadlington> Been talking to the guy that deals with most of the business
[20:34] <Shadlington> He says this
[20:34] <Shadlington> Ill put bitcoins as the second thing to look at after we setup the new payment system <-tl;dr
[20:34] <Shadlington> One thing with bitcoins is that they can easily be stolen, as they are just a file on your pc
[20:34] <Shadlington> Michal would have to convert them to traditional currency quickly Tongue
[20:34] <Shadlington> Is that bit true?
[20:34] <Shadlington> The stealing thing
[20:34] <Shadlington> I remember hearing about theft of them being a problem
[20:35] <Mqrius> When you use bit-pay, they can't be stolen. Bit-pay handles all bitcoinrelated things.
[20:35] <Mqrius> When you do it manual, then yes, if someone steals your private key, then they can spend your bitcoins (just like pub/privkey crypto)
[20:36] <Mqrius> You can encrypt the key though, which basically makes it safe when not used
[20:36] <Mqrius> That's the most common countermeasure
[20:37] <Mqrius> Really security-paranoid people could generate a bitcoin address on a computer that's not connected to the internet, then send the bitcoins to the public key (you don't need a connection to "accept" bitcoins, since the only thing that needs to happen is storing the transaction on the network)
[20:38] <Mqrius> Now and then they jump through some hoops to securely get a chunk of money from their secure address to a "daily" address.
[20:38] <Mqrius> But yeah, when using bit-pay, they will worry about the security, and you run no risk
[20:38] <Mqrius> (About exactly how they secure their stuff, you'd have to ask Tony)
[20:39] <Shadlington> Okay
[20:39] <Shadlington> So
[20:39] <Shadlington> Business guy seems keen
[20:39] <Mqrius> The thing you heard about stealing bitcoins may be from the early days, when the client wasn't evolved enough to support wallet encryption. Then stealing the wallet file was enough
[20:39] <Shadlington> So after the current system is done
[20:40] <Shadlington> We'll hopefully take a stab at bitcoins
[20:40] <Mqrius> Cool
[20:40] <Shadlington> Almost certainly using bit-pay

herzmeister
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1007

View Profile WWW
February 12, 2012, 08:17:37 PM

aaaah you Americans. The inspiration is undoubtedly Worms.

Another step for Bitcoin then, thanks!

https://localbitcoins.com/?ch=80k | BTC: 1LJvmd1iLi199eY7EVKtNQRW3LqZi8ZmmB
BTCurious (OP)

View Profile
February 12, 2012, 08:19:41 PM

Actually, it's from the creator of "soldat", which is a pretty nice 2d shooter. That in itself might have been inspired by Worms, I don't know Smiley

damnek

Activity: 614
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 12, 2012, 09:24:08 PM

Nice development. We need things like this happening more. Hopefully he'll actually set it up.
BTCurious (OP)

View Profile
February 12, 2012, 09:26:24 PM

Nice development. We need things like this happening more. Hopefully he'll actually set it up.
I've asked him to keep me up to date about developments. I'll forward it to here and other places when I know more Smiley

Meanwhile: Everyone should play the game! It's really awesome, and also free! (Premium accounts cost money, in the future that gives you access to zombies etc)

BTCurious (OP)

View Profile
February 12, 2012, 10:03:10 PM

Actually, no one on the team is American, except the guys running the servers Tongue

LightRider
Legendary

Activity: 1500
Merit: 1021

I advocate the Zeitgeist Movement & Venus Project.

View Profile WWW
February 12, 2012, 11:48:39 PM

Glad to see game developers thinking about bitcoin. Still waiting for Minecraft to accept them.

Bitcoin combines money, the wrongest thing in the world, with software, the easiest thing in the world to get wrong.
Visit www.thevenusproject.com and www.theZeitgeistMovement.com.
kiba
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1014

View Profile
February 13, 2012, 12:11:27 AM

Glad to see game developers thinking about bitcoin. Still waiting for Minecraft to accept them.

There is a game developer who accept bitcoin. Me  Cheesy

BTCurious (OP)

View Profile
February 13, 2012, 12:31:04 AM

I was just playing on a server, and premium accounts were mentioned. A conversation started that went something like this:

Me> I'm going to wait until the accept bitcoin.
Him> Bitcoin? Lol, never gonna happen.
Me> Actually, I talked to Shadlington just now, and they're considering it. They're positive to it.
Him> Lol sure, I'll ask him.
Me> Go ahead Smiley
Him> Yeah, didn't need permission Tongue
Me> Tell him Mqrius was boasting Tongue
Him> What? He knows your name?
Me> He does now Smiley
Him> I don't know you.
Me> Correct, I started playing yesterday Grin

That was fun Tongue (It also sparked a discussion about bitcoin, where I got the chance to correct some of his misconceptions like "the bitcoin corporation" and how gold was better than bitcoin because you could do fractional reserve banking with bitcoin Tongue)

kjlimo
Legendary

Activity: 2086
Merit: 1031

View Profile WWW
February 13, 2012, 02:05:01 AM

Soldat was awesome back in the day!

It's been a while since I've played a game like this.

Good job on promoting bitcoin!  I'm still working on League of Legends & Runescape & Blizzard for Diablo III.

Coinbase for selling BTCs
Fold for spending BTCs
PM me with any questions on these sites/apps!  http://www.montybitcoin.com

or Vircurex for trading alt cryptocurrencies like DOGEs
CoinNinja for exploring the blockchain.
ineededausername

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

bitcoin hundred-aire

View Profile
February 13, 2012, 02:51:03 AM

Good job, Mqrius (since you don't like "BTCurious")!  I'll take a look at the game, looks interesting.

(BFL)^2 < 0
finway

Merit: 500

View Profile
February 13, 2012, 02:53:17 AM

Greate job

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: