Bitcoin Forum
June 17, 2024, 07:13:57 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: This guy accidentally sent 800 coins to an old Mt.Gox address - he needs help  (Read 6972 times)
DJFC

Activity: 10
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 02, 2014, 04:57:36 PM

Seeking, yes.
Este Nuno
Legendary

Activity: 826
Merit: 1000

amarha

View Profile
June 02, 2014, 05:00:41 PM

Honestly, for that amount of money I'd probably be flying out to Japan. First thing I would do is get a lawyer there and begin contacting the bankruptcy trustee to see if we could get this resolved as soon as possible.

Hell if I were in Japan I'd try to do inquiring on your behalf but I'm a few hours flight away.

At least with this all hope is not lost. Unlike other times when people lose their wallets or send money to unknown addresses.
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
June 02, 2014, 05:11:47 PM

I'm not buying it - you don't just send half a million dollars to any old address - I smell bs

Dude owns http://bitcoinbank.com/. Any questions?
x8008

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 02, 2014, 05:16:59 PM

Mark you sure that's not you? Cool
nottm28

Activity: 574
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 02, 2014, 05:22:05 PM
Last edit: June 02, 2014, 07:17:11 PM by nottm28

I'm not buying it - you don't just send half a million dollars to any old address - I smell bs

There's not a great deal happening on that website that I can see - just one big image with a repeat-x...

Should I be impressed or were you being sarcastic?

donations not accepted
djangocoin

Activity: 474
Merit: 285

Brave New World

View Profile
June 02, 2014, 05:24:23 PM

Can't believe someone just got goxed - has been so long! :0

:]
Cryptopher
Legendary

Activity: 1789
Merit: 1008

Keep it dense, yeah?

View Profile
June 02, 2014, 05:24:45 PM

Holy smokes, that's so careless! You would make damn sure that you still had access to any wallet that you were sending to providing that it is one that you ever had access to.

I feel bad for him, but at the same time I'm flabbergasted that it could even occur. Good luck getting them back though!

S4VV4S

Activity: 1582
Merit: 502

View Profile
June 02, 2014, 05:38:30 PM

I got a question: Who is Chadwick Miller?
rafamadeira

Activity: 79
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 02, 2014, 05:53:27 PM

Man I am so sorry for you..

Following the adresses, I arrived at https://blockchain.info/pt/address/17Kv5tVFrJFL86bEaMgFgXWTdfnjci5Fb9

It looks like an old Gox adress, and you should probably keep tracking your coins until you recover them.

Also, try send an email to mtgox_trustee@noandt.com

Also, this email from MtGox:

Dear MtGox customer,

On May 23, 2014, I, as the bankruptcy trustee and foreign representative of MtGox, Co., Ltd. (a/k/a MtGox KK), filed the Amended Verified Petition for Recognition and Chapter 15 Relief [Docket No. 126] (the “Amended Recognition Petition”) in the United States Bankruptcy Court for the Northern District of Texas, Dallas Division.

Please find attached a copy of the Notice of Recognition Hearing, which is scheduled for June 17, 2014 at 9:30 a.m.<x-apple-data-detectors://2> (prevailing Central U.S. Time), and will take place before the Honorable Stacey G.C. Jernigan, at the United States Bankruptcy Court, Northern District of Texas, 14th Floor, 1100 Commerce Street, Dallas, Texas 75252<x-apple-data-detectors://3>.

The attached Notice of Recognition Hearing also sets forth the requirements for filing any responses to the Amended Recognition Petition, which responses must be filed with the court and served on the parties specified in the notice on or before June 6, 2014 at 4:00 p.m.<x-apple-data-detectors://4> (prevailing Central U.S. Time).

Best regards,

MtGox Co., Ltd.

Bankruptcy Trustee Nobuaki Kobayashi

Since we plan to provide the information regarding the bankruptcy proceedings by posting it on the website hosted by the bankruptcy trustee (http://www.mtgox.com/), please check this website.

If you have better advice for him besides "send a letter to Japan," please reply to him in the thread below.

I suppose that someone losing 300 BTC on Gox and moving 800 BTC like it was spare change still controls a very large number of coins and/or fiat, so :

1. Get a good lawyer. One that knows how liquidations work in Japan.
2. If it works like it does in developed countries, then the liquidator representing the company is not allowed to accept any new payment or delivery from former partners after the liquidation starts.
3. Let your lawyer write to the liquidator and/or the Japanese court and demand the bitcoins to be sent back to you.

It will cost you between $10k and $100k and you have a 50% chance of recovering them.

Finally, I would follow his suggestion. I sincerely hope you recover your coins.

Best regards Sir

Insert Coins Here: 1GWz2R7NKVgtYg8yYQ7bbzDZWyRLXoitBN

Thank you Sir!
Bit_Happy
Legendary

Activity: 2114
Merit: 1040

A Great Time to Start Something!

View Profile
June 02, 2014, 06:44:37 PM

Your best hope:
If they are not legally allowed to accept new payments from customers, then you might have a really strong case for a refund.

Whenever possible I lean towards optimistic views instead of negative, but you may have recently donated to the official "lawyers, courts and Marks living expenses fund." Please keep us updated if you are able to get a refund, I hope it goes well.

gadsdengraphics

Activity: 88
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 02, 2014, 06:46:18 PM

Honestly, for that amount of money I'd probably be flying out to Japan.

I first read this and wanted to give a big +1, but if you stop and think for second- this doesn't really solve or do anything. He really needs to get the legal part going first so he can have instruction on what to do.

I see it as an impulsive move to just fly out to Japan. He goes there, lands and is then in the position of "Ok, now what? I'm close to where MtGox is located." but that doesn't really solve anything.

A lot can be accomplished remotely, I'm sure when/if the time comes for him to fly out that will be a no brainer.

Impulsive, sure. But it might make a difference.

We know some of the old MtGox infrastructure is still in place. Coins move occassionally, and you can log in and check balances on the site.  What if there is a script out that that iterates over deposit addresses and moves coins to cold storage at an interval? As long as those coins stay where they are, it's pretty obvious that they're not MtGox's. Once they move to a cold wallet that's shared with other peoples' funds, I imagine things could get more interesting.

While it's unlikely, it's possible that there's an easy solution, but that it's time-limited.
haploid23
Legendary

Activity: 812
Merit: 1002

View Profile WWW
June 02, 2014, 07:42:13 PM

Wow unreal. This isn't the old days where people just carelessly tossed out hard drives that contained thousands of btc. This is the present when each btc is worth someone's weekly wage. If I was moving half a million $ like that, I would quadruple check to make sure everything is lined up. So careless...

I truly hope he can recover this amount. Mt.Cock didn't need their pile of scammed coins to grow.

Nagle
Legendary

Activity: 1204

View Profile WWW
June 02, 2014, 09:05:16 PM

He should be able to get it back from the bankruptcy trustee. It's a post-bankruptcy liability, not a per-bankruptcy one. Liabilities incurred by a company during a bankruptcy are handled differently (otherwise, they wouldn't be able to buy anything, even to shut down.)  But he'll need a lawyer in Japan.
williamj2543

Activity: 588

Get ready for PrimeDice Sig Campaign!

View Profile WWW
June 02, 2014, 09:27:00 PM

I'm sure gox has access to all the wallets. Just send him his money back. Its not right stealing even more money

█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
▓▓▓▓▓  BIT-X.comvvvvvvvvvvvvvvi
→ CREATE ACCOUNT 
▓▓▓▓▓
█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
nottm28

View Profile
June 02, 2014, 09:38:27 PM

Ask yourself this:

How many people do you know (or have ever met in your entire life) who have half a million dollars to spend willy nilly.

How many people do you know (or have ever met in your entire life) who might 'give' half a million dollars to the 'wrong person'.

Come one people think - this is bs

donations not accepted
nottm28

View Profile
June 02, 2014, 09:44:38 PM

Ask yourself this:

How many people do you know (or have ever met in your entire life) who have half a million dollars to spend willy nilly.

How many people do you know (or have ever met in your entire life) who might 'give' half a million dollars to the 'wrong person'.

The OP already signed a signature from the sending address after the fact.

Stop talking out of your bum.  Roll Eyes

Can you post a link to the signed sig? I might have missed that waldo...

[edit] after all there are THREE whole pages of bs to read...

donations not accepted
rocks
Legendary

Activity: 1153

View Profile
June 02, 2014, 09:54:12 PM

He should be able to get it back from the bankruptcy trustee. It's a post-bankruptcy liability, not a per-bankruptcy one. Liabilities incurred by a company during a bankruptcy are handled differently (otherwise, they wouldn't be able to buy anything, even to shut down.)  But he'll need a lawyer in Japan.

This seems the most logical.

This address was the address MtGox created to fund his MtGox account. What he just did was fund his MtGox account post-bankruptcy. Since MtGox is not able to legally accept new deposits since they are not in operation anymore, any deposits they do receive should simply be funded.

I think the main issues for the OP are: 1) Getting the process for this started, this is essentially another headache for the trustees and they may not be sure how to handle it at first 2) working out any fees the trustee will charge. There will be some level of effort required to process and verify any refund, that won't be free....

In short, for half a million I would hire a lawyer in Japan ASAP. He probably will not get 100% back after everything, maybe 100% minus several tens of thousands of dollars...
nottm28

View Profile
June 02, 2014, 10:49:26 PM

Ask yourself this:

The OP already signed a signature from the sending address after the fact.

Stop talking out of your bum.  Roll Eyes

Can you post a link to the signed sig? I might have missed that waldo...

[edit] after all there are THREE whole pages of bs to read...

Address:1P6iT6SJe4fZkKdzZBvMGoNj4KLnpSgNSp
Signature:HMxLfa1qAHn0oQsis0PT6Tt6osZmae7vHpb9pG8/BQOFd+hJRhuOOlIgCJJ1x/Gj5PB1FrqdRu35NJo5+daczkM=

From the original thread at reddit:

http://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/273vi2/if_you_just_received_800_bitcoin_out_of_the_blue/

Ouch - ok I'm a believer... but still...

donations not accepted
smoothie
Legendary

Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473

LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper

View Profile
June 03, 2014, 12:28:44 AM

Good luck. That must be a sick feeling for the guy who did it.... Shocked

███████████████████████████████████████

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
      d█████████████████████████b     
    d██████████████████████████████æ   
  ,████²█████████████████████████████, 
 ,█████  ╙████████████████████╨  █████y
 ██████    `████████████████`    ██████
║██████       Ñ███████████`      ███████
███████         ╩██████Ñ         ███████
███████    ▐▄     ²██╩     a▌    ███████
╢██████    ▐▓█▄          ▄█▓▌    ███████
 ██████    ▐▓▓▓▓▌,     ▄█▓▓▓▌    ██████─
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
    ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓─  
     ²▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓╩    
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 
███████████████████████████████████████

. ★☆ WWW.LEALANA.COM        My PGP fingerprint is A764D833.                  History of Monero development Visualization ★☆ .
LEALANA BITCOIN GRIM REAPER SILVER COINS.

millsdmb

Activity: 322
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 03, 2014, 12:40:51 AM

Also, try send an email to mtgox_trustee@noandt.com

If you have better advice for him besides "send a letter to Japan," please reply to him in the thread below.

Hey dont give the guy wrong directions...

"This email address is used only for the purpose of sending messages, and we are unable to confirm and respond to any replies to this email address."

Hitler Finds out about the Butterfly Labs Monarch http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4jYNMKdv36w
Get $10 worth of BTC Free when you buy $100 worth at coinbase.com/?r=51dffa8970f85a53bd000034
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: