Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 07:38:59 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: GPUGRID mining Bitcoin: Donate@Home  (Read 1919 times)
Gabi (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1008

If you want to walk on water, get out of the boat

View Profile
February 12, 2012, 10:44:05 PM

Today i was browsing the GPUGRID forum looking for moar info about ATI when i meet that thread

http://www.gpugrid.net/forum_thread.php?id=2839

About a new project where ATI runs and wow, runs better than Nvidia (GPUGRID is a nvidia only project, they are working on an ATI client but so far with fail performance)
And it will help with their funding... oh well let's check

http://www.donateathome.org/

And...

Donate at home is a fund raising initiative. Donate@Home allows participants to donate towards funding by using their GPU to ‘mine for BitCoins’. This novel way of generating funding involves contributing within the bitcoin experimental network. Crunchers don’t gain bitcoins in this project, the project does and can convert these into standard currencies. Donate@home’s first goal is to raise enough funds through the collective contribution to be able to contract a researcher for the Gpugrid group

Basically donate@home is a mining project, partecipants attach to it with BOINC and crunch work units that mine bitcoins.

Sure, it can be useful but it's weird... they don't say much about mining and whatelse, not even on the forum

Also, someone found a donation address somewhere? They even start a bitcoin mining project but doesn't accept bitcoin as donation?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Be very wary of relying on JavaScript for security on crypto sites. The site can change the JavaScript at any time unless you take unusual precautions, and browsers are not generally known for their airtight security.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Littleshop
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1003

View Profile WWW
February 12, 2012, 11:46:30 PM

They need to link the between (not just one way) between the donateathome.org and the cpugrid.net so we know that donateathome.org is not a scam.  I personally do not think it is a scam, but it would take very little effort on their part to make it more concrete. 

paraipan
In memoriam
Legendary

Activity: 924
Merit: 1004

Firstbits: 1pirata

View Profile WWW
February 13, 2012, 12:51:25 AM

They need to link the between (not just one way) between the donateathome.org and the cpugrid.net so we know that donateathome.org is not a scam.  I personally do not think it is a scam, but it would take very little effort on their part to make it more concrete.  

it's not very official but it seems that a senior member has posted the thread on the gpugrid.net

GDF
Volunteer moderator
Project administrator
Project developer
Project scientist

and i like his enthusiasm but it doesn't seem to have much support from his "folders", guess he feels like Gavin sometimes when he proposes new stuff and we get all over him with saying things. They claim bitcoin is used for bad things and stop there without thinking they could use it for science and be a good thing, old chicken and egg problem.

BTCitcoin: An Idea Worth Saving - Q&A with bitcoins on rugatu.com - Check my rep
FreeMoney
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1014

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
February 13, 2012, 01:38:33 AM

There is a chicken/egg problem with growing bitcoin use, but "ohhh, bad people use it" is just a chicken problem.

Play Bitcoin Poker at sealswithclubs.eu. We're active and open to everyone.
Gabi (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1008

If you want to walk on water, get out of the boat

View Profile
February 13, 2012, 11:50:58 AM
Last edit: February 13, 2012, 12:07:03 PM by Gabi

They need to link the between (not just one way) between the donateathome.org and the cpugrid.net so we know that donateathome.org is not a scam.  I personally do not think it is a scam, but it would take very little effort on their part to make it more concrete.  
What about you clic my first link?  Roll Eyes

If the project administrator of gpugrid speak about it, it is not a scam.

Sukrim
Legendary

Activity: 2618
Merit: 1006

View Profile
February 13, 2012, 02:42:47 PM

I'd love to see an open source BOINC miner, perferrably for p2ppool with adjustable payout addresses. It could be financed by taking a 0.1% fee or whatever for the devs or the main server operator who tracks stats + hosts the project.

I certainly don't want to donate bitcoins through mining, so the project is not for me, but in general I like the idea of combining BOINC + BTC, as it is a great infrastructure and very easy to set up for a first tryout of mining.

https://www.coinlend.org <-- automated lending at various exchanges.
https://www.bitfinex.com <-- Trade BTC for other currencies and vice versa.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: