Bitcoin Forum
June 23, 2024, 05:19:22 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Help deciding which light weight bitcoin wallet  (Read 1211 times)
Abdussamad
Legendary

Activity: 3640
Merit: 1571

View Profile
June 10, 2014, 03:48:38 AM

I`m trying to pick either Multibit or Electrum.

Anyone using these, tell me the difference or which ones more user appeal.

Thanks!

Edit: I use a Mac

I personally use multibit. I find it to be very user friendly and easy to use.

My concern with Electrum is that your keys are stored on the server, making it not only possible for your keys/wallet to be hacked but also opening the possibility that you lose your seed (and your coins).

Electrum stores the seed in a wallet on your computer. Address specific private keys are deterministically generated from the seed at runtime. The private keys or seed are not stored on an electrum server. Electrum servers are queried for transaction details. They are sent your bitcoin addresses only. There are many electrum servers and they are all run by volunteers. They are funded solely by donations.
CEG5952

Activity: 658
Merit: 500

Buy and sell bitcoins,

View Profile
June 10, 2014, 04:54:16 AM

Indeed, your private keys on Electrum are not at risk of being viewed by nodes. Your public keys, however, are. It is for this reason that it is said that Electrum is not ideal for those wanting a full level of privacy.

Parham6

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

Deceased

View Profile
June 10, 2014, 05:40:11 AM

I'm using Multbit and it's been good so far, haven't heard of Electrum.

In memorial of the soon to be dead...
R.I.P.
Coef

Activity: 882
Merit: 1000

Exhausted

View Profile
June 10, 2014, 07:51:03 AM

Thanks!

I prefer Electrum, since I have read the thread https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=562181.0.

Abdussamad
Legendary

Activity: 3640
Merit: 1571

View Profile
June 10, 2014, 09:50:28 AM

Indeed, your private keys on Electrum are not at risk of being viewed by nodes. Your public keys, however, are. It is for this reason that it is said that Electrum is not ideal for those wanting a full level of privacy.

I think you mean address not public key. An address is a hash plus checksum of the public key. The public key itself is exposed only when you spend money from an address. That transaction gets broadcast to all the nodes and once it is confirmed it becomes a part of the blockchain.
byt411

Activity: 798
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 10, 2014, 03:54:26 PM

Thanks!

I personally use multibit. I find it to be very user friendly and easy to use.

My concern with Electrum is that your keys are stored on the server, making it not only possible for your keys/wallet to be hacked but also opening the possibility that you lose your seed (and your coins).

Your private keys aren't stored on the server. The seed is used to generate the private keys and addresses, if you save the seed you can always recover your addresses and private keys.
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: