Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 09:38:19 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: what caused the rise to $1100 last year?  (Read 4961 times)
arbitrage001
Legendary

Activity: 1067
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 03, 2014, 05:57:38 AM

I would say China was the main factor involved in the rising bitcoin prices during November 2013
The breaker was mtgox and several legal regulations regarding Bitcoin being set
Although the USA senate hearings were part of the bull run at that time.

I was watching both China exchange and bitstamp/bitfinex at that time.

Can pretty much confirm the rise is close to 100% due to China and people doing arbitrage from the rest of the world.

Senate hearing and Mtgox have little bearing on the rise.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Your bitcoin is secured in a way that is physically impossible for others to access, no matter for what reason, no matter how good the excuse, no matter a majority of miners, no matter what." -- Greg Maxwell
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
okthen

Activity: 490
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 03, 2014, 05:20:13 PM

It was started by china's interest, and followed by the rest of the world due to panic buying.
Maybe this next bubble will be the same, but started by wallstreet/whatever big business.
DolanDuck

Activity: 196
Merit: 101

View Profile
June 03, 2014, 07:16:30 PM

This rise is starting because major companies are showing much interest in cryptos and because bitcoin was way too undervalued in these months.

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
PRIMEDICE
The Premier Bitcoin Gambling Experience @PrimeDice
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
dukegamsta (OP)

Activity: 9
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 03, 2014, 07:39:26 PM

well what drove the chinese interest in bitcoin?
okthen

View Profile
June 03, 2014, 07:58:39 PM

If I remember correctly they had a documentary on the chinese state tv about bitcoin. In late spring I think. It took a while, and for sure many other factors (as an eminent bubble pending with or without china), but I guess that was the start of it.
mediogreFIN

Activity: 28

View Profile
June 03, 2014, 08:12:40 PM

I believe it was mostly because of sudden interest from people in China but also with exchange(s) manipulating markets. At the same time there were lil' bit of hype, lil' bit of new partners and all new fresh wave of people that took the step from being speculator jumping in shoes of bitcoin owner.

Poor people wanted freedom (they don't have minimum wages so they really really don't get paid well.. some of them bought some btc in hope that it will raise)

Then there's also the people that have some money (there are also jobs that pay well.. and someone also owns those factories where the "slaves" work for almost free)

Some farmers managed to fulfill their dreams with bitcoin.

--

I believe that we will get Chinawave part 2 and also i think that we could get Russiawave, Indiawave and massadaption in western countries (US&Europe).

Also there are many new spectators.. many of those are sceptic but when someone they appreciate says something good about bitcoin, they will join in btc-community..  
dukegamsta (OP)

Activity: 9

View Profile
June 03, 2014, 08:30:05 PM

well i dont believe bitcoin is accesible to the poor people of china - although i hope very much bitcoin will be the currency of choice for the third world countries one day.

in any case it doesnt seem a documentary would make any one but the uber rich of china invest in bitcoin....it seems a lot of people are saying rhe spike in btc price is due to the chinese but why??

Ron~Popeil

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 03, 2014, 08:56:34 PM

I believe it was mostly because of sudden interest from people in China but also with exchange(s) manipulating markets. At the same time there were lil' bit of hype, lil' bit of new partners and all new fresh wave of people that took the step from being speculator jumping in shoes of bitcoin owner.

Poor people wanted freedom (they don't have minimum wages so they really really don't get paid well.. some of them bought some btc in hope that it will raise)

Then there's also the people that have some money (there are also jobs that pay well.. and someone also owns those factories where the "slaves" work for almost free)

--

I believe that we will get Chinawave part 2 and also i think that we could get Russiawave, Indiawave and massadaption in western countries (US&Europe).

Also there are many new spectators.. many of those are sceptic but when someone they appreciate says something good about bitcoin, they will join in btc-community..  

If the far East wants to sit on the sidelines of the peaceful revolution they do so at their own peril. It took them long enough to even get within sight of the industrialized economies. To take a step back now would be senseless and tragic for their people.

okthen

View Profile
June 03, 2014, 09:38:52 PM

--

If the far East wants to sit on the sidelines of the peaceful revolution they do so at their own peril. It took them long enough to even get within sight of the industrialized economies. To take a step back now would be senseless and tragic for their people.

I think they'd be stupid not to get on board.
But then, I recall that they have a lot of internet censorship still. So maybe their governments aren't that bright...
Ron~Popeil

Activity: 406

View Profile
June 03, 2014, 11:29:07 PM
Last edit: June 03, 2014, 11:43:52 PM by Ron~Popeil

--

But then, I recall that they have a lot of internet censorship still. So maybe their governments aren't that bright...

State run media and command economies tend to create an echo chamber. You would think they learned that innovation is a key part of a healthy society when they murdered all the innovators during their revolution.  

Rub3n

Activity: 563
Merit: 501

S> Cheap SocialMedia Hype's

View Profile WWW
June 03, 2014, 11:41:17 PM

Buyers did.

pozmu

Activity: 770
Merit: 504

(っ◔◡◔)っ🍪

View Profile
June 08, 2014, 06:56:11 PM

http://willyreport.wordpress.com/

okthen

View Profile
June 08, 2014, 08:40:51 PM

--

State run media and command economies tend to create an echo chamber. You would think they learned that innovation is a key part of a healthy society when they murdered all the innovators during their revolution.  

I wonder if they have a way out of it.
So many years of brain washing and controlling, even if they become a real democracy tomorrow, it would take decades to change mentalities...
Harley997

Activity: 266

View Profile
June 09, 2014, 02:41:57 AM

The rise that bitcoin had at the end of last year was largely caused by the vast amount of media attention that Bitcoin received after Ross Ulbright got arrested and Silk Road was taken down.

The media brought attention to a vast number of features that Bitcoin offers (p2p transactions, anonymity, near instant confirmation - every 10 minutes, but once a tx is broadcast throughout the network it is nearly unreversible, very low fees).

The decline of the price of bitcoin early this year was the result of MtGox failing similar to how a major bank failing would hurt the underlying currency that it generally deals in.

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
PRIMEDICE
The Premier Bitcoin Gambling Experience @PrimeDice
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
Justine

Activity: 169
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 09, 2014, 03:05:04 AM

The demand of bitcoin largely come from China.

The author of the report is just painting a picture with misleading causation.
bananas

Activity: 364
Merit: 257

View Profile
June 09, 2014, 10:44:23 PM

The demand of bitcoin largely come from China.

The author of the report is just painting a picture with misleading causation.

He is not, you can analyze the leaked files yourself. All majot rises were created by at least two known bots controlled by Mt Gox, i did analyze myself before those articles. There is one bot that would only buy at high and sell at low, at large amounts. And another one that could only buy.
Yakamoto
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1007

View Profile
June 09, 2014, 10:53:05 PM

I think the rise was due to bots, two of which were named "Markus" and "Willy", I believe it was, respectively.

Willy bought BTC for millions of dollars, markus bought and sold at random prices.

So I really have no idea what else to think, but it seems that that is the most logical cause. Price will probably rise (Without bots) to maybe $700, depending on how accepted it gets.
RoadStress
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1007

View Profile
June 09, 2014, 11:32:42 PM

I vote for bots and China!

okthen

View Profile
June 09, 2014, 11:34:45 PM

I think the rise was due to bots, two of which were named "Markus" and "Willy", I believe it was, respectively.

Willy bought BTC for millions of dollars, markus bought and sold at random prices.

So I really have no idea what else to think, but it seems that that is the most logical cause. Price will probably rise (Without bots) to maybe $700, depending on how accepted it gets.

I still do not understand the concept of bots making price go up.
Bots make volume go up, which then leads to people getting exciting and buying, and then snowball effect.
Or am I dead wrong?
jeffersonairplane
Legendary

Activity: 1522
Merit: 1000

www.bitkong.com

View Profile
June 09, 2014, 11:36:48 PM

Mostly due to the fact of Mt. Gox.

BTCitcointalk
.    ██████████████████████████████████
                                                                 ██