Bitcoin Forum
June 03, 2024, 07:36:44 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Promoting Bitcoin on Facebook  (Read 1260 times)
howardb (OP)

Activity: 574
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 02, 2014, 05:41:24 PM

It strikes me that we have a great and huge community here that spends large amounts of time talking about bitcoin WITHIN the community.
I have to wonder what would happen if we took all that energy and all started promoting bitcoin outside the community, especially on facebook!

Just take a moment to share one of Andreas Antonopoulos video's (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JP9-lAYngi4) on your facebook page, and watch the lightbulbs turning on over your friends heads! (As it did with mine). He is absolutely the clearest and best orator I have seen of the case for bitcoin.
OROBTC
Legendary

Activity: 2912
Merit: 1852

View Profile
June 02, 2014, 06:48:04 PM

Facebook has at least one BTC group, search for "Miami International Bitcoin" there.

EDIT: They have over 800 members, many NOT from Miami.
Bibop

Activity: 222
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 02, 2014, 06:53:39 PM

I agree with the idea of promotion on facebook.
just cant find some easy to understand pics or videos that will make people notice and understand without knowing the BTC before.

any suggestions?
cbeast
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006

Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.

View Profile
June 02, 2014, 06:57:33 PM

I can only take so much Facebook until my cat allergies cause an irritating rash for which there is no ointment.

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.
adamselene

Activity: 59
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 02, 2014, 07:25:19 PM

Promoting stuff on Facebook is tricky, especially if it's anything remotely political. People don't want to hear that shit.

They go there to be social and have their biases confirmed, not challenged or overtly marketed towards.

The best way to promote Bitcoin on FB is to make fun, casual posts whenever you do something relevant and cool using Bitcoin.

OR

Find a nice, heartwarming story. Like the Uganda bitcoin film. Share stuff like that.
nickenburg

Activity: 434
Merit: 511

View Profile
June 02, 2014, 07:28:53 PM

There was recently a topic about this, I cant find it anymore.
But it was a facebook wallet where you can send bitcoins easily to your friends on Facebook.
That is already the perfect tool to introduce bitcoin to your friends, you can just give them some on facebook.
They only need some good information video (that isnt 1 hour long Grin) to explain some basic stuff to them.
howardb (OP)

View Profile
June 02, 2014, 07:39:18 PM

But it was a facebook wallet where you can send bitcoins easily to your friends on Facebook.
That is already the perfect tool to introduce bitcoin to your friends, you can just give them some on facebook.
They only need some good information video (that isnt 1 hour long Grin) to explain some basic stuff to them.
Yeah I know the video I suggested might be a bit high brow for the masses, but the guy is utterly compelling in his arguments.

I love the wallet on facebook idea, but since we already understand that sending money to people who really need it (in countries suffering from very poor fiat currencies) is likely to be the first major use of bitcoin, then perhaps it might be more effective to get the ball rolling by doing  just that, friend up with people in those countries and send them $10 (BTC0.016), see how many people they tell! network effects can be exponential.
LiteCoinGuy
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1011

In Satoshi I Trust

View Profile WWW
June 02, 2014, 07:40:51 PM

you mean this:

http://www.coindesk.com/facebook-integrated-wallet-makes-sending-bitcoin-easy-messaging/

its a great tool!

howardb (OP)

View Profile
June 02, 2014, 07:46:32 PM

you mean this:

http://www.coindesk.com/facebook-integrated-wallet-makes-sending-bitcoin-easy-messaging/

its a great tool!

Love it, nothing quite like receiving a bitcoin to make you investigate what the hell it is!
harrymmmm

Activity: 576
Merit: 503

View Profile
June 02, 2014, 07:48:00 PM

quickcoin.co you mean I guess.
I sent a few fb friends $0.50 each when it appeared.
I have reservations tho. Your keys are with quickcoin, and (I think) the btc is trapped there only usable for fb.
Maybe not the best intro for new users.

edit: It also promotes the use of the terminology 'bits'. Ughh.
DeboraMeeks

Activity: 588

View Profile
June 02, 2014, 08:03:10 PM

Facebook doesnt exactly have the best target audience for bitcoin, maybe more forums or tech sites like gizmodo.
BittBurger

Activity: 924
Merit: 1001

View Profile
June 02, 2014, 08:04:21 PM

Facebook has at least one BTC group, search for "Miami International Bitcoin" there.

Strange suggestion.

Try searching "Bitcoin" and you'll find one with 10,000 members.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/TheBitcoin/

Although that fucking stupid banner needs to go.   It was suggested to be changed, but the maturity level of the folks on that page is apparently about twelve, so you can imagine how that went over.

-B-

Owner: "The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
View it on the Blockchain | Genesis Block Newspaper Copies
howardb (OP)

View Profile
June 02, 2014, 08:09:01 PM
Last edit: June 02, 2014, 10:00:15 PM by howardb

Strange suggestion.

Try searching "Bitcoin" and you'll find one with 10,000 members.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/TheBitcoin/

Although that fucking stupid banner needs to go.   It was suggested to be changed, but the maturity level of the folks on that page is apparently about twelve, so you can imagine how that went over.

-B-
The suggestion to use a current Facebook group kind of misses my point entirely. The idea is to use the power of social networking to introduce people to bitcoin that have never heard of it! Simply having discussions with the current community does not achieve the objective of promoting the use of bitcoin.
Ron~Popeil

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 02, 2014, 11:29:26 PM

I kind of like keeping my bit coin involvement quiet. When the looters come searching for tax dollars I don't want to be that easy to find. 

juju

Activity: 381

View Profile
June 03, 2014, 01:27:21 AM

You can promote bitcoin when you are at establishments where you want to spend your coins, tweet at them and say you wish they accepted coins. Most companies have facebook pages, you should start doing that on their company facebook.
beetcoin

Activity: 434

View Profile
June 03, 2014, 01:28:32 AM

don't some facebook games require you to spend money to get some powerups? that would be a good idea to incorporate it. it's such a waste of money, but people are willing to spend so why not?
Ron~Popeil

Activity: 406

View Profile
June 03, 2014, 02:17:58 AM

don't some facebook games require you to spend money to get some powerups? that would be a good idea to incorporate it. it's such a waste of money, but people are willing to spend so why not?

I still can't believe people actually pay money for that stuff. They are probably the same ones that invite me to play some stupid game 5000 times a day.

IamCANADIAN013

Activity: 714
Merit: 503

View Profile
June 03, 2014, 02:37:51 AM

i like to keep my facebook as private as possible so any promoting of bitcoin would just be to my friends.  Many are not open to it and don't want to see constant posts about it.  I pick and choose what I post and I use good bitcoin stories and bad bitcoin stories.  No one wants to see a one sided argument.  Some have opened up to it and thats whe nI take it to private conversation.

Bitcoin really is something that people have to discover on there own.  Nothing wrong with the odd post, but really pushing it I find, people just tune out.

The amount of money that Facebook games rake in is mind blowing.  My sister spends hundreds of dollars on Farmville.  I just don't get it, it's a fake farm!  I play a couple of the stupid games from time to time if I'm bored, but I've never felt the urge to spend money on something that you can play for free.

ShakyhandsBTCer

Activity: 448

It's Money 2.0| It’s gold for nerds | It's Bitcoin

View Profile
June 14, 2014, 04:22:40 AM

I still can't believe people actually pay money for that stuff. They are probably the same ones that invite me to play some stupid game 5000 times a day.

That is actually another way that people can earn "powerups" by getting people to play and asking for help from their friends.

Some of those games can be very annoying.

This is however a great idea of how micropayments could be incorporated into bitcoin.
VeroPossumus

Activity: 26
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 14, 2014, 04:53:37 AM

I dont think promoting Bitcoin on Facebook is neccessary.There is a bunch of sources where people can come across bitcoin and if they get interested they can search more. Thats how i ended up here for ex.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: