Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 01:27:39 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: The First Chicago Restaurant to Accept Bitcoin  (Read 11775 times)
Phinnaeus Gage (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
August 16, 2013, 05:36:54 AM

So whats the word on your efforts so far Bruno?  It's been a few months since an update.  I have a date with a hot blonde coming up and I just lost my debit card.  I have to say, it would be cool to pay for dinner and some other activities with BTC like a boss.  Add me to the list.

Oh and is the cab company accepting BTC yet? 

The Cabbie guy is on hold, and as far as the restaurants I had in mind, I put them on hold due to I was in the process of obtaining a Sandwich, IL, restaurant to accept bitcoins until one of its patrons opted to invest in Bitcoinica and now has his money tied up in Mt Gox. That fiasco caused me to lose face at the local restaurant along with having me to relocate two warehouses storing barn wood due to EPA concerns, all stemming from the guy who made a Bitcoin investment thanks to my blessing of Bitcoinica. The last thing I wanted was to lose a good client in Chicago, one of which I believe I can easily convince him in taking bitcoins at all his establishments.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"There should not be any signed int. If you've found a signed int somewhere, please tell me (within the next 25 years please) and I'll change it to unsigned int." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
ksteve96

Activity: 624
Merit: 125

alcedoplatform.com

View Profile WWW
August 16, 2013, 06:19:57 AM

Wow, the bitcoinica tendrils reaching out to barn wood in sandwich...Never would have thought that.

I'm back and forth right now but in the Spring I'm moving back to Chicago, so if you have a list put me on it. 
I haven't read the article entirely yet, but what about this: http://money.cnn.com/2013/05/16/technology/innovation/bitcoin-sales/index.html

I think the biggest obstacle is the hassle they have to go through to turn it back in to cash.   

𝗔𝗟𝗖𝗘𝗗𝗢  ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬   Making Cryptocurrencies Accessible For Everyone!         Made in
██████████████████████████████████████████       GERMANY
     𝗔𝗡𝗡     𝗪𝗵𝗶𝘁𝗲𝗽𝗮𝗽𝗲𝗿     𝗙𝗮𝗰𝗲𝗯𝗼𝗼𝗸     𝗧𝘄𝗶𝘁𝘁𝗲𝗿     𝗠𝗲𝗱𝗶𝘂𝗺     𝗕𝗼𝘂𝗻𝘁𝘆     𝗧𝗲𝗹𝗲𝗴𝗿𝗮𝗺              🇩🇪 🇩🇪 🇩🇪
kjlimo
Legendary

Activity: 2086
Merit: 1031

View Profile WWW
August 16, 2013, 01:11:17 PM

Wow, the bitcoinica tendrils reaching out to barn wood in sandwich...Never would have thought that.

I'm back and forth right now but in the Spring I'm moving back to Chicago, so if you have a list put me on it. 
I haven't read the article entirely yet, but what about this: http://money.cnn.com/2013/05/16/technology/innovation/bitcoin-sales/index.html

I think the biggest obstacle is the hassle they have to go through to turn it back in to cash.   

That's where Bitpay can help.  Instead of receiving bitcoins, your business can have USD (or other currencies) deposited into your bank account the next day.  So your business can accept bitcoins as a payment option utilizing Bitpay's merchant checkout solution and receive dollars or whichever currency you desire.

Coinbase for selling BTCs
Fold for spending BTCs
PM me with any questions on these sites/apps!  http://www.montybitcoin.com

or Vircurex for trading alt cryptocurrencies like DOGEs
CoinNinja for exploring the blockchain.
ksteve96

alcedoplatform.com

View Profile WWW
August 16, 2013, 04:16:25 PM

That's where Bitpay can help.  Instead of receiving bitcoins, your business can have USD (or other currencies) deposited into your bank account the next day.  So your business can accept bitcoins as a payment option utilizing Bitpay's merchant checkout solution and receive dollars or whichever currency you desire.

Yes, they need something like that; what I liked in the article was that you buy a coupon, instead of getting money direct from bitpay.  Seems safer right now, the coupons are not from bitpay so the store/restaurant is safe WHEN the feds freeze bitpays assets.

𝗔𝗟𝗖𝗘𝗗𝗢  ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬   Making Cryptocurrencies Accessible For Everyone!         Made in
     𝗔𝗡𝗡     𝗪𝗵𝗶𝘁𝗲𝗽𝗮𝗽𝗲𝗿     𝗙𝗮𝗰𝗲𝗯𝗼𝗼𝗸     𝗧𝘄𝗶𝘁𝘁𝗲𝗿     𝗠𝗲𝗱𝗶𝘂𝗺     𝗕𝗼𝘂𝗻𝘁𝘆     𝗧𝗲𝗹𝗲𝗴𝗿𝗮𝗺              🇩🇪 🇩🇪 🇩🇪
faiza1990

Activity: 420
Merit: 250

★☆★777Coin★☆★

View Profile
August 16, 2013, 04:28:08 PM

Maybe somebody should start a money exchange business in Chicago so that people can become bitcoin users more easily

kjlimo
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 16, 2013, 04:29:12 PM

Yes, they need something like that; what I liked in the article was that you buy a coupon, instead of getting money direct from bitpay.  Seems safer right now, the coupons are not from bitpay so the store/restaurant is safe WHEN the feds freeze bitpays assets.

What makes you think the feds are gonna do that?

Fold for spending BTCs

ksteve96

alcedoplatform.com

View Profile WWW
August 16, 2013, 05:08:32 PM

[/quote]

I probably should have said IF.  Thanks for making me re-think that.

Bitcoin is a target in the US right now, it seems any excuse and they'll freeze assets.  Take tangible cryptography for an example.  The state shut them down, not the Feds, but same idea.

If it wasn't for my paranoia, I would probably do this:
Maybe somebody should start a money exchange business in Chicago so that people can become bitcoin users more easily

My uncle already services 100's of small businesses around Chicago for their CC payment, incorporating bitcoin as a payment option in these shops would be relatively easy for him.  I guess I'll research the laws involved and see what needs to be done and how much it will cost and then pitch him on it.  I wouldn't even begin operating until spring, so I have time for research and planning.  If anyone could sell bitcoin merchant services it's my uncle.

I guess I'm a long way off from a BTC funded date though.  Localbitcoins FTW.  Also, I need to not lose my debit card anymore.  Last time I came here I melted it in the dryer, this time, I don't even know.  My bank is 3 states away and I don't keep credit cards. 

kjlimo
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 16, 2013, 05:14:45 PM

I probably should have said IF.  Thanks for making me re-think that.

Bitcoin is a target in the US right now, it seems any excuse and they'll freeze assets.  Take tangible cryptography for an example.  The state shut them down, not the Feds, but same idea.

If it wasn't for my paranoia, I would probably do this:

My uncle already services 100's of small businesses around Chicago for their CC payment, incorporating bitcoin as a payment option in these shops would be relatively easy for him.  I guess I'll research the laws involved and see what needs to be done and how much it will cost and then pitch him on it.  I wouldn't even begin operating until spring, so I have time for research and planning.  If anyone could sell bitcoin merchant services it's my uncle.

I guess I'm a long way off from a BTC funded date though.  Localbitcoins FTW.  Also, I need to not lose my debit card anymore.  Last time I came here I melted it in the dryer, this time, I don't even know.  My bank is 3 states away and I don't keep credit cards. 
[/quote]

I'll gladly discuss Bitpay with your uncle.  Feel free to PM me if you need a phone number.  I'll be on the road next Wed/Thurs afternoons and have time to chat; however, if you'd prefer to work with him yourself, that's cool, too.

I'm in Cleveland, and travel to Chicago a couple times a year.  I'm going to Cincinnati next Weds night and I'm going to be promoting Bitpay's services to a brick & mortar merchant in Cincinnati.

Fold for spending BTCs

mises

Activity: 352

View Profile
August 16, 2013, 05:55:30 PM

Sweet. Good luck on making this happen.
faiza1990

★☆★777Coin★☆★

View Profile
August 16, 2013, 06:02:17 PM

cheers for this good work

kjlimo
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 16, 2013, 06:19:11 PM

Heh, I appreciate the support; however, to make sure you're not too over excited, it's taken me two years to get one business in the Cleveland area accepting bitcoin...

I've put some effort into Chicago and Cleveland, but mostly phone calls.  Going in is much higher return; however, restaurant owners are busy people and tough to track down.

We'll see if I get some momentum to give another push later this year.

Fold for spending BTCs

faiza1990

★☆★777Coin★☆★

View Profile
August 16, 2013, 08:18:49 PM

Heh, I appreciate the support; however, to make sure you're not too over excited, it's taken me two years to get one business in the Cleveland area accepting bitcoin...

I've put some effort into Chicago and Cleveland, but mostly phone calls.  Going in is much higher return; however, restaurant owners are busy people and tough to track down.

We'll see if I get some momentum to give another push later this year.

but still happy somebody showing courage for this late is better then never

abracadabra

Activity: 956
Merit: 1001

View Profile
February 17, 2014, 06:05:05 PM

*bump*
Baldassare

Activity: 67
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 17, 2014, 07:24:44 PM

I would go to a restaurant accepting Bitcoin in Chicago.
Kept looking at coinmap, but I was disappointed not to find one.
barista

Activity: 5
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 17, 2014, 07:46:26 PM

Can't wait for restaurants in NY to start accepting bitcoin.
abracadabra

Activity: 956
Merit: 1001

View Profile
February 17, 2014, 07:55:13 PM

I would go to a restaurant accepting Bitcoin in Chicago.
Kept looking at coinmap, but I was disappointed not to find one.

When you go to visit Be prepared with info, and ask if the restaurant will take bitcoin.  When they look at you funny, present your info.  Grin
daviducsb

Activity: 155
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 17, 2014, 07:58:17 PM

We need to do this in L.A.
sanjoea

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
February 18, 2014, 04:12:12 PM

Very soon other restaurant owners also going to follow this

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
PRIMEDICE
The Premier Bitcoin Gambling Experience @PrimeDice
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
rik_khaos

Activity: 854
Merit: 500

Just a regular guy who likes his fiber.

View Profile
February 19, 2014, 12:27:49 PM

Excellent! Very interested.  Smiley

I'm a chicagoland transplant here in Phoenix, but when I visit home I'll eat where they'll take my coins.

And seriously, get Portillos in on this I've got 2 locations out here.

Selling BTC for cash in Los Angeles. DM me!
Musent

Activity: 266

View Profile
February 25, 2014, 03:42:30 PM

+1 on this. I sincerely hope more small shops start doing this. It would give them an advantage over corporate.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: