Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 12:55:52 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: The First Chicago Restaurant to Accept Bitcoin  (Read 11775 times)
kjlimo
Legendary

Activity: 2086
Merit: 1031

View Profile WWW
February 16, 2012, 05:25:21 AM

Please start a thread for Montreal. I pledge to go eating if a restaurant accept bitcoins.
For me the 2 best selling points to a restaurant are:
New clients: bitcoiners paying with bitcoins
Free publicity: local media will be interested about a restaurant accepting a new currency.

And I'm offering to get their business listed on all of the tons of websites listing businesses that accept bitcoin.

Does anyone have list of websites listing businesses accepting bitcoins?

I think I need to start a thread for that!

Coinbase for selling BTCs
Fold for spending BTCs
PM me with any questions on these sites/apps!  http://www.montybitcoin.com

or Vircurex for trading alt cryptocurrencies like DOGEs
CoinNinja for exploring the blockchain.
You get merit points when someone likes your post enough to give you some. And for every 2 merit points you receive, you can send 1 merit point to someone else!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
ThomasV
Legendary

Activity: 1896
Merit: 1353

View Profile WWW
February 16, 2012, 05:27:53 AM

Please start a thread for Montreal. I pledge to go eating if a restaurant accept bitcoins.
Free publicity: local media will be interested about a restaurant accepting a new currency.

And I'm offering to get their business listed on all of the tons of websites listing businesses that accept bitcoin.

https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Trade
https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Real_world_shops

Electrum: the convenience of a web wallet, without the risks
adamstgBit
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1037

Trusted Bitcoiner

View Profile WWW
February 16, 2012, 05:39:12 AM

http://www.thebitcoinreview.com

theirs a nice map too

http://www.thebitcoinreview.com/map.php

Phinnaeus Gage (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
February 16, 2012, 05:59:43 AM

Nice going, dunand! I had a nice little venture going here until you came along and forked my customer base. First Montreal, then San Diego. What city's next? Biloxi? Little Rock? Or perhaps smaller towns like Hohenwald, TN, Intercourse, PA, or Winchestertonfieldville?

Seriously, folks, I'm glad to see some traction here, and I'm sure Tony with Bit-Pay will do everything possible to help out in each market. I'm glad to be part of introducing Chicagoans to Bitcoin. But, I do have an edge over all the other markets--a secret weapon.

~Bruno~
adamstgBit
Legendary

Trusted Bitcoiner

View Profile WWW
February 16, 2012, 06:06:06 AM

Nice going, dunand! I had a nice little venture going here until you came along and forked my customer base. First Montreal, then San Diego. What city's next? Biloxi? Little Rock? Or perhaps smaller towns like Hohenwald, TN, Intercourse, PA, or Winchestertonfieldville?

Seriously, folks, I'm glad to see some traction here, and I'm sure Tony with Bit-Pay will do everything possible to help out in each market. I'm glad to be part of introducing Chicagoans to Bitcoin. But, I do have an edge over all the other markets--a secret weapon.

~Bruno~

we are not in competition, please share your secret weapon with us.

Phinnaeus Gage (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
February 16, 2012, 06:24:31 AM

~Bruno~

I'm sworn to secrecy, but if you ask Tony, I'm sure he'll tell you.
Phinnaeus Gage (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
February 16, 2012, 06:25:32 AM

yes, please share her.

or at least post some photos.

I never said the secret weapon was a her! Where you getting your information?
bb113

Activity: 728
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 16, 2012, 06:45:26 AM

Portillos is a good idea for the drive through... how do you explain to restaurants how to deal with the hour confirmation delay again?
Phinnaeus Gage (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
February 16, 2012, 07:09:31 AM

Portillos is a good idea for the drive through... how do you explain to restaurants how to deal with the hour confirmation delay again?

By utilizing the pre-conf APP. It would work something like this:

My mate and I are going to Portillo's in about an hour. I fire up the APP and place a Bitcoin deposit, an amount I know is more than what I'm going to spend. When I get to the restaurant, I show my receipt via the APP. The confirmations have already been done prior to us getting to the Portillo's therefore, upon paying the tab, change is forward to our Bitcoin address. Even if we carry-out, no need for us to wait for a confirmation, for we know that Portillo's is good for it. The onus was on the customer at the onset of the transaction, thereby protecting the eating establishment.

Your job, if you choose to accept it, is to convince me why this won't work.

~Bruno~

EDIT: Let me add this. Portillo's can even act as a banker for their regular customers. As the day progresses, they'll have bitcoins on deposit, and they can easily sell them to a customer at the exact current market price without them having to deposit the coins into their bank account. Of course, now they'll have to carry even more of that nasty, smelly cash to their bank, but that's the price they'll have to pay for bringing on that success.
BitPay Business Solutions

Activity: 742

View Profile WWW
February 16, 2012, 08:40:30 AM

Bit-Pay confirms transactions for our merchants in 1-3 seconds.  In thousands of transactions we have never seen a double spend.  I'm not saying it won't happen, but the amount of computing power to pull it off is not something you are going to have with you while eating at a restaurant.  And if you tried, I am sure one of 3 things would happen:

1.  you are taken out the back door and promptly beaten
2.  you are asked to pay another way
3.  you are told never to come back again

BitPay : The World Leader in Bitcoin Business Solutions

https://bitpay.com

Does your website accept bitcoins?
ThomasV
Legendary

Activity: 1896
Merit: 1353

View Profile WWW
February 16, 2012, 08:42:45 AM

Bit-Pay confirms transactions for our merchants in 1-3 seconds.  In thousands of transactions we have never seen a double spend.  I'm not saying it won't happen, but the amount of computing power to pull it off is not something you are going to have with you while eating at a restaurant.  And if you tried, I am sure one of 3 things would happen:

4. you have spent much more money on computing power than the cost of your lunch

Electrum: the convenience of a web wallet, without the risks
kjlimo
Legendary

Activity: 2086
Merit: 1031

View Profile WWW
February 16, 2012, 01:54:29 PM

4. you have spent much more money on computing power than the cost of your lunch

word!

Coinbase for selling BTCs
Fold for spending BTCs
PM me with any questions on these sites/apps!  http://www.montybitcoin.com

or Vircurex for trading alt cryptocurrencies like DOGEs
CoinNinja for exploring the blockchain.
anonymous5050

Activity: 30
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 16, 2012, 04:33:30 PM

someone could make a program to double spend.  You need huge hash power to make it past a block, but you can broadcast unconfirmed transactions all over the place.  Still, the odds of someone going to the trouble over a few bucks is amost nothing at this point.  Bitpay should offer to cover a loss of a small amount for accepting unconfirmed transactions, and when/if it happens, then make everyone start getting one confirm.  Way too many merchants are demanding tons of confirms and slowing everything down on stuff that no one will ever try to double spend on. Prepaying an hour in advance sounds stupid.  I want to pay like the hot girls in bitpays video:)
BitPay Business Solutions

Activity: 742

View Profile WWW
February 16, 2012, 04:46:11 PM

someone could make a program to double spend.  You need huge hash power to make it past a block, but you can broadcast unconfirmed transactions all over the place.  Still, the odds of someone going to the trouble over a few bucks is amost nothing at this point.  Bitpay should offer to cover a loss of a small amount for accepting unconfirmed transactions, and when/if it happens, then make everyone start getting one confirm.  Way too many merchants are demanding tons of confirms and slowing everything down on stuff that no one will ever try to double spend on. Prepaying an hour in advance sounds stupid.  I want to pay like the hot girls in bitpays video:)

This is exactly the right approach.  The risk of fraud accepting bitcoins instantly is so small compared to accepting a credit card instantly, that yes at some point we would just guarantee the order under a certain dollar amount.  We aren't ready to offer that yet, but we know what we software we need to build to make it happen.

BitPay : The World Leader in Bitcoin Business Solutions

https://bitpay.com

Does your website accept bitcoins?
Phinnaeus Gage (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
February 16, 2012, 05:55:24 PM

someone could make a program to double spend.  You need huge hash power to make it past a block, but you can broadcast unconfirmed transactions all over the place.  Still, the odds of someone going to the trouble over a few bucks is amost nothing at this point.  Bitpay should offer to cover a loss of a small amount for accepting unconfirmed transactions, and when/if it happens, then make everyone start getting one confirm.  Way too many merchants are demanding tons of confirms and slowing everything down on stuff that no one will ever try to double spend on. Prepaying an hour in advance sounds stupid.  I want to pay like the hot girls in bitpays video:)

This is exactly the right approach.  The risk of fraud accepting bitcoins instantly is so small compared to accepting a credit card instantly, that yes at some point we would just guarantee the order under a certain dollar amount.  We aren't ready to offer that yet, but we know what we software we need to build to make it happen.

And for those who pay with their Orange Card, you can cover the full order.
anonymous5050

Activity: 30
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 16, 2012, 08:20:40 PM

Sniffing the network for a double spend doesnt seem that hard to code, so hopefully you guys get that implemented soon, because it is absolutely ridiculous for us to be saying "hey mr restaurant owner how would you like to accept this new paymemt method?  Just make sure that customers overpay for their meal an hour beforehand so you dont get scammed, and then give them change."
adamstgBit
Legendary

Trusted Bitcoiner

View Profile WWW
February 16, 2012, 09:01:55 PM

Sniffing the network for a double spend doesnt seem that hard to code, so hopefully you guys get that implemented soon, because it is absolutely ridiculous for us to be saying "hey mr restaurant owner how would you like to accept this new paymemt method?  Just make sure that customers overpay for their meal an hour beforehand so you dont get scammed, and then give them change."

every here of a dine and dash ... its much easier to pull off  Wink

Phinnaeus Gage (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
February 16, 2012, 10:33:12 PM

Sniffing the network for a double spend doesnt seem that hard to code, so hopefully you guys get that implemented soon, because it is absolutely ridiculous for us to be saying "hey mr restaurant owner how would you like to accept this new paymemt method?  Just make sure that customers overpay for their meal an hour beforehand so you dont get scammed, and then give them change."

Or purchase a RELOADABLE gift card directly from Portillo's (B&M or online) with Bitcoin, but it won't become activate until the confirmations are in.

Interesting find while hunting this pic(s)--more than one restaurant.

~Bruno~
pekv2

Activity: 770
Merit: 502

View Profile
February 17, 2012, 01:59:01 AM

Yea, they have a humungous branch. Themselves and their associates.

Also, very very good eating.
Example:
http://www.suchluck.com/april_09/portillos2.jpg
http://s3-media3.ak.yelpcdn.com/bphoto/PoJ6GiiMUzKcL5as2ZO9Hw/l.jpg
Phinnaeus Gage (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
February 17, 2012, 02:02:14 AM

Update: I'm planning on doing the blitzkrieg on Chicagoland restaurants in about two weeks. At that time, I'm delivering a load of reclaimed lumber to special client and re-meeting up with Rashid, the Chicago Cabbie, to present to him his custom leather wallet. I'm planning on dedicating no less than two full days on this endeavor.

~Bruno~
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: