Bitcoin Forum
May 23, 2024, 08:59:49 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Market psychology thread  (Read 3805 times)
thezerg (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1010

View Profile
June 02, 2014, 09:20:56 PM

Let's talk about what's driving the action.  I think that the last few weeks have been all about whales getting in (and the few bitcointalk traders that were still short).  Whales and institutions have longer memories; they've been watching the situation since the last bubble.  I think that the general public has yet to move... not enough news stories to trigger the fever.

WRT recent action, that at 665 after a 4 hour run from 630 was NOT positioned for short term gains.  And it was way too close to the action to be an attempt to bolster the price.  Those coins are going into someone's cold wallet... it may have encouraged some subsequent selling action but the trend is that we are chomping thru supply, whether by buying ask walls or luring the sellers into a bid.

zimmah
Legendary

Activity: 1106
Merit: 1005

View Profile
June 02, 2014, 09:22:57 PM

This one may or may not have something to do with apple terms of service.
hyphymikey

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 02, 2014, 09:25:30 PM

correct.
badpeanut

Activity: 333
Merit: 251

Karma is a Btc

View Profile
June 02, 2014, 09:42:53 PM

What i think....Its heading summer, the stock exchange market gettin low volume during summer months. Share holders/ daytraders packed it up for holidays, trying to get most money out of the exchange so they dont have worry during holidays.
Perhaps the traders that are left still want to make money and join the bitcoin market because of the action
thezerg (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
June 02, 2014, 09:46:13 PM

correct.

No that might have been the trigger to buy all at once but fiat had to be on exchange... a couple million.
thezerg (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
June 05, 2014, 04:35:58 PM

So will negative ECB interest rates make consumers run to BTC?  Or it is too small to matter...
segeln

Activity: 602
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 05, 2014, 04:46:03 PM

So will negative ECB interest rates make consumers run to BTC?  Or it is too small to matter...
to small to matter
Carra23
Legendary

Activity: 980

Need a campaign manager? PM me

View Profile
June 05, 2014, 07:18:54 PM

correct.

I missed it. Was there an apple news?
Benjig

Activity: 462
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 05, 2014, 08:37:16 PM

O think that the current pshycology is bullish everywhere, some people are triying to buy the btcs they can while others are acting like bears to see if they can turn the price down just to buy cheaper coins.
Melbustus
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1003

View Profile
June 05, 2014, 08:42:55 PM

I think it's just this: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=632518.msg7042633#msg7042633

Again.

Bitcoin is the first monetary system to credibly offer perfect information to all economic participants.
hellscabane
Legendary

Activity: 896

View Profile
June 06, 2014, 02:34:00 AM

What i think....Its heading summer, the stock exchange market gettin low volume during summer months. Share holders/ daytraders packed it up for holidays, trying to get most money out of the exchange so they dont have worry during holidays.
Perhaps the traders that are left still want to make money and join the bitcoin market because of the action
I'm confused by this comment.

Are you talking about people who trade on traditional stock markets or about Bitcoin day traders?
keithers
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1001

This is the land of wolves now & you're not a wolf

View Profile
June 06, 2014, 02:55:46 AM

So will negative ECB interest rates make consumers run to BTC?  Or it is too small to matter...
to small to matter

The news seems to small to matter right off the bat, but I think that we will slowly see price increases due to this...
badpeanut

Activity: 333
Merit: 251

Karma is a Btc

View Profile
June 07, 2014, 01:48:36 AM

I'm confused by this comment.

Are you talking about people who trade on traditional stock markets or about Bitcoin day traders?

traditional stock markets enter the bitcoin stock markets
thezerg (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
June 07, 2014, 02:33:09 AM

we are now in purgatory.  Will the weekend whale strike?  Long interest on Bitfinex has been incredibly high and shorts extremely low this week.  These are weak hands and they are getting nervous at the triple-top-that-is-really-so-close-in-time-its-just-one-top.  And they are looking at the periodic bubble chart and noticing that after such an epic peak (10 to 1000 in a one year mega-bubble), minor bubbles occur -- minor bubbles like 450 to 680 perhaps?

At the same time TA followers are salivating at the long-term cup-and-handle currently drawn in the 4 month chart, and the accelerating march of adoption is telling people that these could be the last few $600 coins.

Who will flinch first?

oda.krell
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1007

View Profile
June 07, 2014, 03:04:57 PM

I like the idea of a thread dedicated to market psychology. I'm working on a, still very crude, semi formal system to classify what I would call 'market narratives' to at least get some approximate idea of how my interpretation of market sentiment "performs" over time.

Looking away from the action of the last few days, I think the main driver of the market currently is "unwillingness to sell at current prices", low selling pressure, same thing I guess.

There was enough fiat sitting on the sidelines to turn the above into a +45% rally, but the biggest question to me right now is: will selling pressure return before buying pressure (mainly through new fiat, I believe) does, or will whatever fiat is /still/ sitting on the sidelines be convinced by the lack of selling pressure that it might as well enter the market now.

Not sure which Bitcoin wallet you should use? Get Electrum!
Electrum is an open-source lightweight client: fast, user friendly, and 100% secure.
Download the source or executables for Windows/OSX/Linux/Android from, and only from, the official Electrum homepage.
MatTheCat

Activity: 840

View Profile
June 07, 2014, 04:09:13 PM
Last edit: June 07, 2014, 04:21:32 PM by MatTheCat

Looking away from the action of the last few days, I think the main driver of the market currently is "unwillingness to sell at current prices", low selling pressure, same thing I guess.

There was enough fiat sitting on the sidelines to turn the above into a +45% rally, but the biggest question to me right now is: will selling pressure return before buying pressure (mainly through new fiat, I believe) does, or will whatever fiat is /still/ sitting on the sidelines be convinced by the lack of selling pressure that it might as well enter the market now.

It is true to say that the leveraged longs on Bitfinex are very high at the moment, if indeed not maxed out going by the hike in the swap rate from 0.1% to a whopping 1% per day during one of the $680-$620 slides. Have you however been watching the wall action on Bitstamp over the past few days. On a few occasions it seemed as though Bitfienx and Huobi wanted to break out of the downtrend, but there was a 1500 BTC Ask wall on Bistamp at $675 that nobody seemed to want to bite into. I would suggest that this held the rest of the markets back. The resistance was tested at $670, and held, and then the selling pressure picked up and the massive wall was gradually moved down in increments of $5, decreasing in size a little each time, until it sat at $655 at around 1100 BTC strong. This wall sat there as impatient traders started to market sell into Bid wall. The bottom came with some 500 BTC being market sold into bid wall which caused test of pennant support trendline at $635. Then as was pretty predictable, buying pressure kicked in and took us back up to $655 1100 BTC wall. Perhaps the whale was asleep and wasn't trusting his wall dynamics to a bot, as around 300 BTC of buy-ins were taken out of the whales wall. The whale then removed his wall, and (probably) bought the 300 BTC or so of bid offers that were placed below his 1100 BTC wall, possibly in order to replenish his lost BTC.

A bit long winded perhaps, but what I make of this is a blatant whale market engineering attempt. The market has been intentionally corrected at $680 , where selling pressure has been tested, and supported at the 23% Fib retracement level ($610-$620). From the first correction from $680 to $614, the recovery came about as the result of some quite inexplicable buying patterns, whereby a whale made a 600 BTC market order on Bitstamp into such a thin market that the price rose by $30. This was followed by a 750 BTC Bid wall at $665. This strategically deployed buy-in pressure and all the rest of the organic to-ing and fro-ing of Bitcoins during this, provided the high volume required to form a seemingly bullish cup n handle formation on the Bitstamp chart. That failed, and Bitcoin has been converted to forming this current bullish pennant formation, which the 'Wall Guy' I describe above has clearly been trying to engineer.

What I am suggesting is that this market is to a large extent being stage managed by powerful market players. The activities of 'Wall Guy' that I described above, is perhaps evidence of someone wanting to push Bitcoin down to trendline, and then allow it to rise back up without him losing any Bitcoins in the process. He has adjusted the sizes of his strategic walls, and only moved it down so far as to push spot price to the pennant support trendline, but not beyond. His removal of his wall followed by the buying of a similar amount of coins that was taken out his wall prior to it's removal, is suggestive of attempts to coerce Bitcoin back up to resistance, whilst recovering any lost Bitcoins in the process, suggests that not only is this whale entity trying to shake out weak hands and engineer positive chart formations, but that he is also bullish on Bitcoin, at least for now.

My take on market psychology right now is that frustration prevails, but the weaker Bitfinex leveraged longs and other weak hands have mostly been squeezed for now, most participants believe Bitcoin will trend a bit higher yet, or may well even be on the cusp of another of it's famous bubbles and are not so willing to sell. The 'Market Engineers' have tested the markets resolve, and perhaps after allowing the market to thin out to a crisp, will attempt to ignite it with a bout of buying pressure, which if all goes to plan and enough capital in the market takes the bait, will result in another strong move up.

I see perhaps a retest of $640 (the lower limit of this bullish pennant). I no longer think that the market is going to break down the way, except perhaps for the sort of false break that Bitcoin is famous for, which happens nearly everytime Bitcoin leaves a consolidation zone.

I am confident in the market for the time being. With the pending crossover of the Weekly MACD, 10/21 SMA, and the 200 day SMA currently being tested, I would say that the Market Engineers must surely be thinking that now is as good a time as any to try and engineer a massive price surge in Bitcoin. Whether enough organic buying pressure can be whipped up to take out ATH remains to be seen, but with these strong indicators at their backs, they can surely get a much higher price than $650 to perform a mass sell off into.

Kraken Account, Robbed/Emptied. Kraken say "Fuck you, its your loss": https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1559553.msg15656643#msg15656643

Bitfinex victims. DO NOT TOUCH THE BFX TOKEN! Start moving it around, or trading it, and you will be construed as having accepted it as an alternative means of payment to your USD, BTC, etc.
BTCtrader71

Activity: 784
Merit: 1001

View Profile
June 07, 2014, 06:25:36 PM

It is true to say that the leveraged longs on Bitfinex are very high at the moment, if indeed not maxed out going by the hike in the swap rate from 0.1% to a whopping 1% per day during one of the $680-$620 slides.

The USD swap offer rates did indeed shoot way up during the most recent price surge. They have been slowly edging downward over the past few days, not all the way back to 0.1% yet, but they just crossed into the sub-0.2% range. (btw it's the 30 day rates that I am paying the most attention to.) I interpret this to mean that the recent market inactivity has given people enough time to deposit USD into bitfinex and take advantage of the high rates of return. This extra fiat and relatively lower rates will make it more appealing for people to go long on bitcoin when it makes its next move upward.

BTC: 14oTcy1DNEXbcYjzPBpRWV11ZafWxNP8EU
thezerg (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
July 01, 2014, 03:09:24 AM

looks to me like some panic buying gripped the market today... could there be more in our near future?  Grin
Keyara

Activity: 174
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 01, 2014, 03:52:54 AM

It is true to say that the leveraged longs on Bitfinex are very high at the moment, if indeed not maxed out going by the hike in the swap rate from 0.1% to a whopping 1% per day during one of the $680-$620 slides.

The USD swap offer rates did indeed shoot way up during the most recent price surge. They have been slowly edging downward over the past few days, not all the way back to 0.1% yet, but they just crossed into the sub-0.2% range. (btw it's the 30 day rates that I am paying the most attention to.) I interpret this to mean that the recent market inactivity has given people enough time to deposit USD into bitfinex and take advantage of the high rates of return. This extra fiat and relatively lower rates will make it more appealing for people to go long on bitcoin when it makes its next move upward.

The lending rate is a bullish sign.
Erdogan
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1005

View Profile
July 01, 2014, 02:34:07 PM

My dad always said no! when I wanted ice cream ...

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: