Bitcoin Forum
June 19, 2024, 11:51:22 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN][GRA] Graincoin - PoW/PoS coin | Fast, secure | Version 1.6.2 Release  (Read 58991 times)
bondi

Activity: 347
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 24, 2014, 01:33:13 PM

Hi,

It seems my attempt to negotiate the block explorer outsourcing has failed.
First I doubled the requested 0.05 BTC lifetime fee as I was aware that ABE scripts are incorrectly calculating coindays destroyed, fees, etc. for blocks containing superblock reward transactions and I wanted this to be fixed by the explorer op. Then I doubled this amount again as he was impressed by the blockchain size... to no avail. So I did what I said him: I rented a VPS for that amount, fixed and deployed the blockchain explorer myself. Here you are:

http://explorer.graincoin.net/

It is an official one. The OP is updated.

Great job.
Thanks.
bobbyb

Activity: 109
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 24, 2014, 08:37:26 PM

This is why I have dumped everything.
I was just testing some stuff, but you could time warp the shit out off this chain if you wanted (I didnt, I have only mined 2h in the future without forking the chain).
This 2h time change has fucked up the diffculty for 2 hours. You could time warp and double spend as much as you wanted (which I didnt).

PoW should be removed, its only a weak point with this low block rewards.

I have only mined with ~250 Khash/s.

"netmhashps" : 77.80505571

nice Smiley

Edit:
now its all gone  Embarrassed

"netmhashps" : 127.60631041

Hold on ...  It's still breathing and has a weak pulse ...

This is probably someone else doing the same shit.
bee7 (OP)

Activity: 574
Merit: 523

View Profile
September 24, 2014, 08:44:25 PM

I was just testing some stuff, but you could time warp the shit out off this chain if you wanted (I didnt, I have only mined 2h in the future without forking the chain).
This 2h time change has fucked up the diffculty for 2 hours. You could time warp and double spend as much as you wanted (which I didnt).

nice Smiley

Edit:
now its all gone  Embarrassed

Hold on ...  It's still breathing and has a weak pulse ...

Really? Could you elaborate, please, the complete scenario.
bobbyb

View Profile
September 24, 2014, 09:22:11 PM
Last edit: September 24, 2014, 09:45:18 PM by bobbyb

nice Smiley

Edit:
now its all gone  Embarrassed

Hold on ...  It's still breathing and has a weak pulse ...

After reading stuff about BCX, I was curious how will the Grain blockchain deal with blocks that have a faked timestamp, so I have run a test.
I have changed the system clock time on my miner 2 hours into the future and started mining.

The network has accepted my blocks and I have also solved PoS blocks with a faked timestamp. I have tested this a second time without a PoS block being solved and the network has rejected my PoW blocks.
Normally I get 66-75% stales/invalids, but with the faked timestamp I have got only 40-50%. The PoW difficulty was also lowering!

After restoring the normal time I could still mine with a low difficulty for a short time, but then the difficutly has raised without PoW blocks being solved.
The difficulty was so high, that I could not solve any (or almost none, I cant remember) PoW blocks until 2 hours since my last block with a fake timestamp have passed.
My client also didnt solve any PoS blocks.

I cant tell how exacly the network did behave during this 2 hours, because I had only one client running, but I have noticed a very big interval between the blocks.
I can remember that the highest interval between block (according to my client) was over 10 minutes (maybe even 20).

After the 2 hours, my client have solved a shitload of PoS blocks instantly and the difficulty was back to normal.

I could made a copy of the chain and do the above and mine faster than the network.
I could also play with the timestamps on my private copy of the chain and I would definitely solve the blocks faster than PoW and PoS of the network combined.

It is also a bad idea of swisscex to accept Grain deposits after only 6 confirmations.
bee7 (OP)

View Profile
September 24, 2014, 09:55:41 PM

After reading stuff about BCX, I was curious how will the Grain blockchain deal with blocks that have a faked timestamp, so I have run a test.
I have changed the system clock time on my miner 2 hours into the future and started mining.

The network has accepted my blocks and I have also solved PoS blocks with a faked timestamp. I have tested this a second time without a PoS block being solved and the network has rejected my PoW blocks.
Normally I get 66-75% stales/invalids, but with the faked timestamp I have got only 40-50%. The PoW difficulty was also lowering!

After restoring the normal time I could still mine with a low difficulty for a short time, but then the difficutly has raised without PoW blocks being solved.
The difficulty was so high, that I could not solve any (or almost none, I cant remember) PoW blocks until 2 hours since my last block with a fake timestamp have passed.
My client also didnt solve any PoS blocks.

I cant tell how exacly the network did behave during this 2 hours, because I had only one client running, but I have noticed a very big interval between the blocks.
I can remember that the highest interval between block (according to my client) was over 10 minutes (maybe even 20).

After the 2 hours, my client have solved a shitload of PoS blocks instantly and the difficulty was back to normal.

I understand your fears that grown on BCX related news.
Might be it worth to discuss such doubts with the community, dev,  other coins devs in the first turn than to just dump all that you have? Did you do any thorough study how that could be applied to graincoin particularly.

The case that you mentioned, when the PoS diff was stuck at 1.5 for several, was just due to no PoW miners with a notable hash power were active at the time. It took me a few minutes to solve that block with 3.6Mh rig to push it through.

Although the current set of the timing and other parameters that control the behavior of the blockchain is really not ideal and I am going to change some of them (the max clock drift among them) to improve the network security, ATM I have more important things to work on. Without these things implemented any other so called 'improvements' are just a dust. They will not make graincoin any different so it could get what it should deserve.

Edit:
the lack of my frequent postings here is not due to I am absent: you could easily see that I am online every day, so I am not gone. I just think that meaningless posts like "to da moon" does not create any value of the coin.
bobbyb

View Profile
September 24, 2014, 10:03:45 PM

I can send you my wallet with all Tx, if it helps you to analyze with issue.

I just wonder, if it works for 2h, would it also work for a day or a week or a month?

The main problem behind Grain is that there is no hash power behind it.
bee7 (OP)

View Profile
September 24, 2014, 10:14:33 PM

It is also a bad idea of swisscex to accept Grain deposits after only 6 confirmations.

Missed this initially. It's their business and their risks. If they see it affordable then let it be.

I just wonder, if it works for 2h, would it also work for a day or a week or a month?

There is no need to send your wallet.

Works what? No PoW blocks for 2 hours? Or something else? If the former one, I already explained you: there were no miners active during that time. According to my observations we have only two or three people PoW mining it. And they do not mine it 24h a day. I have only 1 CPU miner running to collect the blocks when there is no power at all - just to give an opportunity to other people to mine.
bobbyb

View Profile
September 24, 2014, 10:17:07 PM

Missed this initially. It's their business and their risks. If they see it affordable then let it be.

Works what? No PoW blocks for 2 hours? Or something else? If the former one, I already explained you: there were no miners active during that time. According to my observations we have only two or three people PoW mining it. And they do not mine it 24h a day. I have only 1 CPU miner running to collect the blocks when there is no power at all - just to give an opportunity to other people to mine.

With "works" in mean that the blockchain accepts blocks with future timestamps.
bee7 (OP)

View Profile
September 24, 2014, 10:45:42 PM

With "works" in mean that the blockchain accepts blocks with future timestamps.

Ah, I see. First, no legitimate node would accept the block that has time in advance of more that max clock drift. The max clock drift is currently 2 hours. It came from original bitcoin client and for bitcoin network it is not a problem at all. As I mentioned, I am going to change that parameter, but it requires a hard fork, so I would like to collect all such hard changes together. Also no legitimate node would accept the block that is in the past relative to the GetMedianTimePast().
You could of course (and it seems you did Smiley ) make a tweaked wallet that would persistently submit the blocks with time 2 hours in advance. This would influence the difficulty of course, but will not stop the network from generating new PoS blocks as I assume that even before your dump you were not in possession of 51% of all coins. So even if you managed to bring the network's PoW difficulty to some high value that 'stopped' the current network's hashing nodes from producing PoW blocks and you started to create your own fork to override main chain you most likely would fail as the cumulative trust score of your fork would be less than the network's one: the block trust score is a function of the block's difficulty and a history of last 12 blocks. So, to achieve the better result you should have more resources (both the hashing power and the supply) than the rest of the network.

Taking to account the currently low network hashing power it is of course possible to make successful doublespend, but as I already said I am not going to pump the situation with the thin air. As the coin presently has very low value I do not see any reason to care much about this: when and if the graincoin get well valued then miners come.

bee7 (OP)

View Profile
September 28, 2014, 06:26:17 AM

Whoever running node at 24.95.55.64, would you mind to resync please. You are on fork 100k blocks behind.

Thank you.
bee7 (OP)

View Profile
October 01, 2014, 04:43:20 AM

I see we have a few new nodes, welcome aboard/welcome back.
hoertest

Activity: 882
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 02, 2014, 07:17:26 PM

omg i tried sending my remaining coins in coinedup to swisscex. now it says transaction failed and they don't show up in the wallet anymore. support doesn't answer . guess i have lost them.  Huh
bee7 (OP)

View Profile
October 02, 2014, 07:21:56 PM

omg i tried sending my remaining coins in coinedup to swisscex. now it says transaction failed and they don't show up in the wallet anymore. support doesn't answer . guess i have lost them.  Huh

Try smaller quantities - the coinedup used to have some limits. Also, the wallet itself may not be able to complete the tx if there is a big number of inputs to combine and the tx size exceeded.
hoertest

Activity: 882
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 02, 2014, 07:29:32 PM

Try smaller quantities - the coinedup used to have some limits. Also, the wallet itself may not be able to complete the tx if there is a big number of inputs to combine and the tx size exceeded.

ok, hope they show up in the balance again, right now they are gone , waiting for their response
bee7 (OP)

View Profile
October 02, 2014, 07:55:47 PM

ok, hope they show up in the balance again, right now they are gone , waiting for their response

Oh no, I did not get that the balance had been affected in the process. I hope they will sort it out eventually.
Miner-TE

Activity: 499
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 04, 2014, 04:55:37 AM

I just set up a pool for Grain.  NOMP/MPOS based.

Currently testing,  PM if interested.

BTC - 1PeMMYGn7xbZjUYeaWe9ct1VV6szLS1vkD - LTC - LbtcJRJJQQBjZuHr6Wm7vtB9RnnWtRNYpq
bee7 (OP)

View Profile
October 04, 2014, 06:34:23 AM

I just set up a pool for Grain.  NOMP/MPOS based.

Currently testing,  PM if interested.

Nice, would you make it publicly available?
Miner-TE

Activity: 499
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 05, 2014, 06:24:05 PM

I will, if things go well.

I've never, and few have, been a pool operator. I don't know of any books or classes to take.  Smiley  I'm still learning the system, database structure and problems that arise and how to deal with them.  Bitcoin (alts) have been a hobby of mine and it's something I've wanted to do for a long time. I finally got around to setting something up using NOMP and MPOS.

To put a public pool online ... I'd like to have proper hosting, separate systems for daemons, databases, stratum and the front-end web. All with proper security....  I'm currently using a few virtual machines to learn the ins and outs on a residential class Internet provider.

One problem I've been having (only with Grain) is with MPOS's findblocks cron where it error out with E0081-Failed to insert new block into database. Followed by a E0062-Block has no share_id,not running payouts.  It appears to recover after forcing a re-run on the cronjob.... Perhaps due to the low difficulty and rapid block finds. 

If anyone would like to mine Grain, Orbitcoin, Gamecoin, Fireflycoin, Teacoin or Zetacoin and can accept the learning curve of the operator. Send me a PM.  I only ask you to set your payout threshold low and don't leave a large balance.

BTC - 1PeMMYGn7xbZjUYeaWe9ct1VV6szLS1vkD - LTC - LbtcJRJJQQBjZuHr6Wm7vtB9RnnWtRNYpq
rivoke
Legendary

Activity: 924
Merit: 1006

View Profile
October 05, 2014, 06:36:38 PM

Honestly with bitcoin price dropping so much i dont see much future now for altcoins
bee7 (OP)

View Profile
October 05, 2014, 09:24:31 PM

I will, if things go well.

I've never, and few have, been a pool operator. I don't know of any books or classes to take.  Smiley  I'm still learning the system, database structure and problems that arise and how to deal with them.  Bitcoin (alts) have been a hobby of mine and it's something I've wanted to do for a long time. I finally got around to setting something up using NOMP and MPOS.

To put a public pool online ... I'd like to have proper hosting, separate systems for daemons, databases, stratum and the front-end web. All with proper security....  I'm currently using a few virtual machines to learn the ins and outs on a residential class Internet provider.

One problem I've been having (only with Grain) is with MPOS's findblocks cron where it error out with E0081-Failed to insert new block into database. Followed by a E0062-Block has no share_id,not running payouts.  It appears to recover after forcing a re-run on the cronjob.... Perhaps due to the low difficulty and rapid block finds. 

If anyone would like to mine Grain, Orbitcoin, Gamecoin, Fireflycoin, Teacoin or Zetacoin and can accept the learning curve of the operator. Send me a PM.  I only ask you to set your payout threshold low and don't leave a large balance.

Everything once is a first time. Unfortunately, I can't say you anything about the errors you observe with block insertion into db - I have never been playing with MPOS. There is no need to have separate systems for daemons/db/e.t.c if the performance of the server is sufficient to serve all of tasks: you could ensure the necessary level of security by properly administering the whole stuff.

Anyway, I wish you a success in this journey Smiley
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: