Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 10:35:18 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Lost Bitcoins  (Read 2648 times)
Frizz23 (OP)

Activity: 1162
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 13, 2012, 10:24:18 AM

What happens to all those Bitcoins that are parked in offline / paper wallets - and get lost (-> spouse throws away paper with strange symbols on it, hard drive crash, etc.) ?

Does that mean Bitcoins get more and more precious over time?

Ξtherization⚡️First P2E 2016⚡️🏰💎🌈 etherization.org

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The forum was founded in 2009 by Satoshi and Sirius. It replaced a SourceForge forum.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
D.H.

Activity: 311
Merit: 250

Bitcoin.se site owner

View Profile WWW
February 13, 2012, 10:28:10 AM

Short answer: Yes.

They are simply gone.

www.bitcoin.se - Forum, nyheter och information på svenska! (Forum, news and information in Swedish)
Revalin

Activity: 728

165YUuQUWhBz3d27iXKxRiazQnjEtJNG9g

View Profile
February 13, 2012, 10:43:54 AM

Slightly longer answer:  It does the same thing as when you throw away a hundred dollar bill.  You lose money, and everyone else's money gains a little value.

At least with Bitcoins you can make a copy and keep it in a separate secure location.  With fiat notes they're just gone.

War is God's way of teaching Americans geography.  --Ambrose Bierce
Bitcoin is the Devil's way of teaching geeks economics.  --Revalin 165YUuQUWhBz3d27iXKxRiazQnjEtJNG9g
Narydu
Donator

Activity: 743
Merit: 510

View Profile WWW
February 13, 2012, 12:26:59 PM

...Spouse throws away paper with strange symbols on it...

To Bitcoins I don't know but to the Wife of the guy I just dont want to imagine!

Gabi
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1008

If you want to walk on water, get out of the boat

View Profile
February 13, 2012, 02:22:44 PM

Let me fix what revalin said

Slightly longer answer:  It does the same thing as when you throw away a ingot of gold.  You lose gold, and everyone else's gold gains a little value.

Bitcoin is virtual gold, not virtual "fiat monet printed as much as will by governments and banks"

kjlimo
Legendary

Activity: 2086
Merit: 1031

View Profile WWW
February 13, 2012, 02:25:27 PM

If anyone has lost bitcoins, they could post here with a link to their address.

I've done analysis on the top bitcoin addresses in the past to see how long they've been sitting there.

From what I recall, not many have been sitting idle for more than a year.  There are some, but not many.

I'll likely update this analysis in a couple months once I get bored with promoting bitcoins to local merchants.

Bottom line is I'm just looking for those "early adopters" who have tons of coins, b/c you never know when they will say enough is enough and cash out.

However, I'm guessing most of that has happened.  Also, with the median 100-150k volume on mtgox.com, I think the market can absorb any single owner dumping all their coins.

Of course people could have multiple addresses, or all remaining early adopters could cash out at once.

Then again, an asteroid could take out the Earth one of these days... something to consider, be aware of, but likely nothing you can plan for.

Coinbase for selling BTCs
Fold for spending BTCs
PM me with any questions on these sites/apps!  http://www.montybitcoin.com

or Vircurex for trading alt cryptocurrencies like DOGEs
CoinNinja for exploring the blockchain.
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
February 13, 2012, 02:28:18 PM

Bitcoin is virtual gold, not virtual "fiat monet printed as much as will by governments and banks"

An example of the virtual fiat model would be ScamCoin.  Hell they even have a failed monetary policy in effect. Smiley
kjj
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1024

View Profile
February 13, 2012, 03:12:10 PM

There is an old thread listing known lost coins.  Search for it.

17Np17BSrpnHCZ2pgtiMNnhjnsWJ2TMqq8
I routinely ignore posters with paid advertising in their sigs.  You should too.
kjlimo
Legendary

Activity: 2086
Merit: 1031

View Profile WWW
February 13, 2012, 03:53:11 PM

There is an old thread listing known lost coins.  Search for it.

Thanks! I found 3 and pdf'ed them - it's about 200 pages of text.  I'll analyze these and see what I can summarize in the coming months.

In the mean time if you've lost additional bitcoins, please post your address and amount if you remember it.

Bonus points for a link to the blockexplorer!

Coinbase for selling BTCs
Fold for spending BTCs
PM me with any questions on these sites/apps!  http://www.montybitcoin.com

or Vircurex for trading alt cryptocurrencies like DOGEs
CoinNinja for exploring the blockchain.
foggyb
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1006

View Profile
February 13, 2012, 04:15:11 PM

Slightly longer answer:  It does the same thing as when you throw away a ingot of gold.  

Also oversimplified - if you lose an ingot of gold, someone may find it again. If you lose the keys to your wallet, there is basically zero chance of recovery. And yet the keys still exist!
kjj
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1024

View Profile
February 13, 2012, 04:57:51 PM

I lost 0.5 BTC recently.  I was testing a script intended to sweep any balance found in a wallet to a known address for a bootable USB miner project.  Sadly, I overwrote the USB stick with the wallet before I got all of the bugs out, so my test amount was lost.  Next time, I'll use 0.05 instead.

The problem is that I suspect that the number of actually lost coins dwarfs the number of coins properly reported as lost.  But there is no way to know.

17Np17BSrpnHCZ2pgtiMNnhjnsWJ2TMqq8
I routinely ignore posters with paid advertising in their sigs.  You should too.
giszmo
Legendary

Activity: 1862
Merit: 1105

WalletScrutiny.com

View Profile WWW
February 13, 2012, 05:55:50 PM

Slightly longer answer:  It does the same thing as when you throw away a ingot of gold.  

Also oversimplified - if you lose an ingot of gold, someone may find it again. If you lose the keys to your wallet, there is basically zero chance of recovery. And yet the keys still exist!

Well, not true neither. If you loose a secret key, this might surface at some point in the future, too. Imagine today's crypto turning insecure - which you can take for granted for some distant future. Bitcoin might be supporting RSA16k by that time while there is still money on old keys. Now the treasure hunt would be open to crack those most valuable wallets.
I would assume if Bitcoin survives the next 100 years, every single Satoshi that was "lost" due to forgetting a private key by today will be found by someone as we would most likely have added some 0s as one Satoshi would just be too precious as the base unit.
People might "mine" for lost wallets rather than for the then ended block reward Wink

ɃɃWalletScrutiny.comIs your wallet secure?(Methodology)
WalletScrutiny checks if wallet builds are reproducible, a precondition for code audits to be of value.
ɃɃ
Frizz23 (OP)

Activity: 1162

View Profile
February 14, 2012, 07:59:42 AM

Would this be a valid attack? Imagine Goldman Sachs & friends buy a large amount of all the available Bitcoins, park them - and throw away all information where they are parked.

The money it would cost would be peanuts for them (a fraction of their bailout money Wink ... and "Problem Bitcoin" would be solved before it's getting to big.

Ξtherization⚡️First P2E 2016⚡️🏰💎🌈 etherization.org
vuce

Activity: 476
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 14, 2012, 08:01:28 AM

Would this be a valid attack? Imagine Goldman Sachs & friends buy a large amount of all the available Bitcoins, park them - and throw away all information where they are parked.

The money it would cost would be peanuts for them (a fraction of their bailout money Wink ... and "Problem Bitcoin" would be solved before it's getting to big.
Only another chain would pop up shortly after that...
DiThi

Activity: 156
Merit: 100

Firstbits: 1dithi

View Profile
February 14, 2012, 08:22:16 AM

Also, one can never buy all bitcoins in existence and a market will be always there, even if there's only one bitcoin remaining.

1DiThiTXZpNmmoGF2dTfSku3EWGsWHCjwt
giszmo
Legendary

Activity: 1862
Merit: 1105

WalletScrutiny.com

View Profile WWW
February 14, 2012, 02:44:29 PM

Sorry Frizz23 but it is ridiculous to assume that a commodity could be threatened by buying it. Will the gold market be destroyed if I buy all the gold in existence? Or the €? If I do that and destroy the commodity, I caused an explosion of its value. If I do that and dump all of my property afterwards, I raised attention and will get more people into the game than by not doing anything.

Even if you buy all but one Satoshi, the bitcoin would work for the world as it would now. We would only need to introduce more digits.

(Even one of the speakers at the Bitcoin Europe briefly sketched this "horror scenario" and I was only shaking my head. This is no threat, this would be the final break through.)

ɃɃWalletScrutiny.comIs your wallet secure?(Methodology)
WalletScrutiny checks if wallet builds are reproducible, a precondition for code audits to be of value.
ɃɃ
cbeast
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1736

Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.

View Profile
February 14, 2012, 02:50:47 PM

Sorry Frizz23 but it is ridiculous to assume that a commodity could be threatened by buying it. Will the gold market be destroyed if I buy all the gold in existence? Or the €? If I do that and destroy the commodity, I caused an explosion of its value. If I do that and dump all of my property afterwards, I raised attention and will get more people into the game than by not doing anything.

Even if you buy all but one Satoshi, the bitcoin would work for the world as it would now. We would only need to introduce more digits.

(Even one of the speakers at the Bitcoin Europe briefly sketched this "horror scenario" and I was only shaking my head. This is no threat, this would be the final break through.)
If someone owned *that* much Bitcoin it's because we all went full retard. We would probably just start Bitcoin 2 lol. I mean, there are limits outside of pure theory.

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
February 14, 2012, 04:35:42 PM

In related news Microsoft announced a new plan to undermine Apple by buying 20 million ipods and destroying them.  Apple's stock up 200%, Microsoft down 90%.

P.S:  The entire Bitcoin network could run on a single Bitcoin.
cbeast
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1736

Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.

View Profile
February 14, 2012, 04:39:30 PM

In related news Microsoft announced a new plan to undermine Apple by buying 20 million ipods and destroying them.  Apple's stock up 200%, Microsoft down 90%.

P.S:  The entire Bitcoin network could run on a single Bitcoin.
I missed the part about destroying the bitcoin. In that case, yeah one Bitcoin or even satoshi would suffice.

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.
eleuthria
Legendary

Activity: 1750
Merit: 1007

View Profile
February 14, 2012, 06:28:47 PM

Lost coins are one of the reasons I feel like the block rewards should have tapered off gradually, and settled down to an eventual minimum amount (Even if it was just 1 coin).

The more bitcoins in circulation, the lower the percentage of inflation the block reward represents.  However, the larger the number of coins in circulation, the more likely it is for instances of lost coins to appear.  Eventually, those two numbers would balance out and you'd have an approximate number of coins continuously in circulation.

RIP BTC Guild, April 2011 - June 2015
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: