Bitcoin Forum
April 28, 2024, 09:11:23 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin Confusion  (Read 1275 times)
Blazin604 (OP)

Activity: 224
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 03, 2014, 08:13:16 AM

Hey all I am new I have been following BTC for quite some time now and have invested into it. I have watched countless videos of andreas Antonopoulos and I remember him saying that Bitcoin isn't just a currency it can be used for voting ect...how come this hasn't been implemented into Bitcoin? I know NXT coin is implementing all of this stuff... Also do you believe NXT will replace bitcoin or will Bitcoin serve as " digital gold " ? ..Also if bitcoin were to be used for voting ect...would coins get spent every time a vote is cast or stock/ contract is traded? sorry for the stupid questions...im just a bit confused.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The trust scores you see are subjective; they will change depending on who you have in your trust list.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Tabatadze

Activity: 92
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 03, 2014, 08:41:24 AM

I think you will find it hard to find people here that will really buy into the next thing.
kwukduck
Legendary

Activity: 1937
Merit: 1001

View Profile
June 03, 2014, 08:46:51 AM

Not sure if trolling or serious...

NXT is a joke... Along with basically most of the other altcoins or scamcoins as i prefer to call them. Only a very small number actually try to improve fundamentally at some points and they then serve more as feature experiments than anything else. I recommend you to be skeptical with the grandiose claims made by devs and tonns of altcoin shills, most of it has been refuted time and time again.

That being said, the freedom is in the protocol, why do you want the core devs to implement all thinkable features? Everyone can build on top of it. Even you!
I would rather have a well maintained core than a bloated buggy feature-bomb as core software for the network.

14b8PdeWLqK3yi3PrNHMmCvSmvDEKEBh3E
chennan
Legendary

Activity: 1316
Merit: 1004

View Profile
June 03, 2014, 08:53:04 AM

Many exchange is using BTC to vote new alt crypto to get listed. Once the specified amount of BTC is sent to the specified address, the coin will get one vote. I do not know about NXT, let others answer!

porcupine87

Activity: 546
Merit: 500

hm

View Profile
June 03, 2014, 09:24:42 AM

That being said, the freedom is in the protocol, why do you want the core devs to implement all thinkable features? Everyone can build on top of it. Even you!
I would rather have a well maintained core than a bloated buggy feature-bomb as core software for the network.

you are right. Every human is an excellent programmer and if not, everyone can just simply learn it Smiley

"Morality, it could be argued, represents the way that people would like the world to work - whereas economics represents how it actually does work." Freakonomics
haploid23
Legendary

Activity: 812
Merit: 1002

View Profile WWW
June 03, 2014, 10:14:56 AM

I actually haven't seen any real life applications of how bitcoins are used as contracts or voting. As of now, it's being used solely as a currency, so I'd love for someone to explain how voting or contracts can be derived from bitcoins, without us "losing" them.

franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4200
Merit: 4447

View Profile
June 03, 2014, 10:24:04 AM

NXT is a premined and centralised scheme. it belongs in the facebook credits and itunes credits category, not the bitcoin category.

i say this because its more of a facebook 2.0 (using blockchain instead of sql database) more so then a truly free market decentralised currency

dont knitpick the analogy, its intention is purely to be as laymen as possible in as short an explanation as possible

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
Light

Activity: 742
Merit: 502

Circa 2010

View Profile
June 03, 2014, 10:31:06 AM

Also do you believe NXT will replace bitcoin or will Bitcoin serve as " digital gold " ?

Any feature that has been added to an altcoin could just as easily be added to Bitcoin if it was deemed necessary. Most of those 'features' are just experimental options that provide niche functionality that doesn't really fit with the notion of a currency. While it can be used for more, right now Bitcoin's main directive is to become a globally accepted currency. On that note, the one thing that other coins can't replicate is the merchant acceptance and infrastructure built around Bitcoin - even Litecoin and Dogecoin don't have remotely as many businesses willing to accept them nor the ability to easily buy them as compared with Coinbase et al.
protokol
Legendary

Activity: 1188
Merit: 1016

View Profile
June 03, 2014, 10:32:09 AM

I think the idea is that a voting/contract system could be bootstrapped to the blockchain by anyone. This would work by using, for example, a single satoshi as a "coloured coin", where it had an extra intrinsic value (like a single vote, or a single share/contract with a company). The actual value of the satoshi would be negligible, and the value would come from it's extra defined use. This works, as each satoshi on the blockchain has a unique identifier, that could be tracked by a company using them for contracts, or a voting system.

Think that's how it would work...
franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4200
Merit: 4447

View Profile
June 03, 2014, 10:56:24 AM

bitcoin does have voting already.

EG

send funds to one of these people
person A 1amadeupaddress1
person B 1amadeupaddress2
person C 1amadeupaddress3

the person with most received wins..

now wasnt that simple

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
superresistant
Legendary

Activity: 2128
Merit: 1120

View Profile
June 03, 2014, 12:08:28 PM

No one really answered your question.

Bitcoin fanatics claim that Bitcoin can be used for many things other than a currency. Everyone can implement applications on top of blockchain...
The fact is that there is absolutely nothing but currency and nothing else is planed.

It's been years Bitcoin exist and as time goes on, Bitcoin get frozen. Less and less changes.
As you talked about Nxt. It took few months from a small dev team to implement functions that Bitcoin will probably never ever have.

Yes Nxt distribution is radically different from the mining scheme and some people find it unfair.
But does it matter at all when the point of this crypto is to provide services and build an economy ?
jc01480

Activity: 854
Merit: 500

Nope..

View Profile
June 03, 2014, 12:43:23 PM

Oh, shit.  BTC influencing politics?  Accurate voting?  Irrefutable proof of numbers?  Not sure the real players in today's political circus can handle the truth. 
inBitweTrust

Activity: 658
Merit: 501

View Profile
June 03, 2014, 01:55:25 PM

Everyone can implement applications on top of blockchain...
The fact is that there is absolutely nothing but currency and nothing else is planed.

Small Sample of Bitcoin applications that are currently being used right now-

Arbitration-
https://www.bitrated.com/

Multisig voting-
https://coinb.in/multisig

Decentralized Marketplaces with privacy tools-
https://github.com/darkwallet/darkmarket
https://github.com/OpenBazaar/OpenBazaar

decentralized P2P microblogging platform
http://twister.net.co/

Additionally, with Treechains and Sidechains many more features can be implemented while at the same time leveraging the security of Bitcoin and thus making all of these alts superfluous.

Ron~Popeil

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 03, 2014, 03:14:46 PM

Oh, shit.  BTC influencing politics?  Accurate voting?  Irrefutable proof of numbers?  Not sure the real players in today's political circus can handle the truth. 

No more 100% turnout in heavily democratic Philadelphia and Cleveland precincts? Perish the thought!

thecoindoctor

Activity: 48
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 03, 2014, 03:41:59 PM

Hey all I am new I have been following BTC for quite some time now and have invested into it. I have watched countless videos of andreas Antonopoulos and I remember him saying that Bitcoin isn't just a currency it can be used for voting ect...how come this hasn't been implemented into Bitcoin? I know NXT coin is implementing all of this stuff... Also do you believe NXT will replace bitcoin or will Bitcoin serve as " digital gold " ? ..Also if bitcoin were to be used for voting ect...would coins get spent every time a vote is cast or stock/ contract is traded? sorry for the stupid questions...im just a bit confused.

Didn't know about the bitcoin voting, wth...
zeetubes

Activity: 371

View Profile
June 03, 2014, 04:21:27 PM

I'm pretty sure the concept of bitcoin (rather than bitcoin itself) has been tested and maybe even used for electronic voting. But really only to enforce no double voting etc. The hassle is that no politician in the US would ever want people to actually have the power to vote on a given issue. Shit, that would obsolete the whole of congress and just about every other aspect of the corrupt awfulness we have to suffer through right now. 
Blazin604 (OP)

View Profile
June 03, 2014, 04:23:49 PM

Thanks for all the input..still confused as to how this stuff will work. Also how many Satoshi are there...imagine bitcoin being used for this stuff how many stocks / contracts traded daily and how fast it would contribute to depleting the supply of coins. Here are 2 great videos to watch. He talks alot about other features of bitcoin. Very interesting stuff.

1. http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=KW_wYvZ1eZg

2. http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=lEWdPe6uACg

Neg

View Profile
June 03, 2014, 04:34:56 PM

I dont see any reasons why Next would overtake BTC. The blockchain voting thing sounds inteteresting though. I'll have to look into that.
superresistant
Legendary

Activity: 2128
Merit: 1120

View Profile
June 03, 2014, 05:45:57 PM

Everyone can implement applications on top of blockchain...
Decentralized Marketplaces with privacy tools-
https://github.com/darkwallet/darkmarket
https://github.com/OpenBazaar/OpenBazaar

I knew about these two actually.
Darkmarket project has been canceled.
Is openbazaar used ?
Why isn't it added on the client directly ?

BitcoinQt didn't really change for years. It's just about using the currency and that's it.
I really love Bitcoin but I reckon it has limit.
Bitcoin is stuck. All the hype is about the price.

The real innovations will come from cryptocurrencies that are not based on Bitcoin.
JackCelere

Activity: 322

View Profile
June 03, 2014, 05:57:37 PM

NXT is a premined and centralised scheme. it belongs in the facebook credits and itunes credits category, not the bitcoin category.
i say this because its more of a facebook 2.0 (using blockchain instead of sql database) more so then a truly free market decentralised currency
dont knitpick the analogy, its intention is purely to be as laymen as possible in as short an explanation as possible
Can you clarify that?
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: