Bitcoin Forum
June 03, 2024, 02:10:59 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Laptop crashed blockchain lost  (Read 1731 times)
jonald_fyookball
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1004

Core dev leaves me neg feedback #abuse #political

View Profile
June 04, 2014, 04:10:44 PM

I've sent all my bitcoin to my new electrum wallet  Smiley  Do i need to leave the old wallet running until the transaction is confirmed ? or can I close it  or even uninstall it now if i dont need it ?

No, but you certainly want to save the wallet. You never know, someone might send coin's to your old address. If you loose that wallet you've lost those coins.

I think Electrum is deterministic right? So you can't import other keys into it?

You can import other keys into it with the caveat that those imported keys are not recoverable from seed like the other addresses are.

PilotofBTC
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1001

View Profile
June 04, 2014, 04:14:09 PM

I've sent all my bitcoin to my new electrum wallet  Smiley  Do i need to leave the old wallet running until the transaction is confirmed ? or can I close it  or even uninstall it now if i dont need it ?

No, but you certainly want to save the wallet. You never know, someone might send coin's to your old address. If you loose that wallet you've lost those coins.

I think Electrum is deterministic right? So you can't import other keys into it?

You can import other keys into it with the caveat that those imported keys are not recoverable from seed like the other addresses are.

Got it, thanks for the correction. Wink  So, does it have a sweep function for paper wallets? I haven't checked it out. I've been very happy with the blockchain.info wallet. I've never once d/l'ed the bitcoin blockchain.
paythrough_team

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 15, 2014, 08:42:38 AM

The best is to update the blockchain.
LYCAN

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 22, 2014, 04:36:22 PM

well its not a proble mwhen you created you wallet or while using your wallet the blockchain automatically make backup of the wallet and send to the email address.. please go and see if any backup sent to you wallet if so you are secured othrewise you get out of your bitcoins ...

I m feeling so sorry for that.. Sad
Bernard Lerring

Activity: 294
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 23, 2014, 12:45:46 PM

I'd like to add that it would be nice to the bitcoin network if you carried on running bitcoin with the blockchain.

You can still use electrum for your transactions but only bitcoin core will actively work as a node and help out with network traffic.

If you have a decent PC and don't mind the extra overheads of running a node (bandwidth usage, CPU & RAM usage) then you'd be doing your bit to support bitcoin.

zimmah
Legendary

Activity: 1106
Merit: 1005

View Profile
June 23, 2014, 03:15:47 PM

I would recommend that you use a client that doesn't need blockchain. Much easier and no disadvantage.

Actually the disadvantage is that you need to trust other computers to be honest about the blockchain, while f you run a copy of the blockchain yourself you are less at risk.

Having the blockchain makes you a node as well, which make the network more secure.
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: