Bitcoin Forum
May 29, 2024, 02:47:11 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Feds Collaborate With Wiki Editors to Improve 'Wiki Entries Related to Gov. Publ  (Read 549 times)
Wilikon (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1001

minds.com/Wilikon

View Profile
June 03, 2014, 03:48:00 PM

An "editathon" is actually a Wikipedia concept that is not unique to this OFR collaboration. Wikipedia is crowd-edited by design, so an "editathon" is often held by experienced editors to help provide training to new editors, as well as to accomplish the basic purpose, to "edit and improve a specific topic or type of content."

Although this is a first-of-its-kind event for the National Archives, it is not the first time the Wikipedia community has hooked up with federal employees.  In May last year when furloughs were hitting some government workers, the D.C. chapter of Wikimedia held a "Furloughed Feds Workshop", a "training seminar and edit-a-thon for federal employees interested in learning more on how to edit Wikipedia."

http://www.weeklystandard.com/blogs/feds-collaborate-wikipedia-editors-improve-wikipedia-entries-related-government-publications_794261.html

bryant.coleman
Legendary

Activity: 3682
Merit: 1217

View Profile
June 07, 2014, 12:15:59 PM

Doesn't surprise me much.

I have already posted about this several times here. I was an active member of the Wikipedia from 2006 to 2011. I have seen all sort of disgraceful shit happening over there (mostly after 2010), especially with topics such as Politics, Religion, and Finance.
Ron~Popeil

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 08, 2014, 02:45:07 AM

I wonder how much the quid pro quo grant will be. So long wikipedia.

Wilikon (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1001

minds.com/Wilikon

View Profile
June 08, 2014, 07:37:01 PM

I have already posted about this several times here. I was an active member of the Wikipedia from 2006 to 2011. I have seen all sort of disgraceful shit happening over there (mostly after 2010), especially with topics such as Politics, Religion, and Finance.

I remember the first time I have heard of that NSA project down in Utah. Went to Wiki to learn more about it. Check out the editing history of that page...

irobotnik8

Activity: 6
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 09, 2014, 07:25:06 PM

I remember the first time I have heard of that NSA project down in Utah. Went to Wiki to learn more about it. Check out the editing history of that page...

I don't get it (I don't edit Wikipedia often). What's going on on that page?
Ron~Popeil

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 10, 2014, 01:37:35 AM

I don't get it (I don't edit Wikipedia often). What's going on on that page?

If you go through it there are lots of NSA references in the notes on updates. Why would the NSA care what a wikipedia page says?

bryant.coleman
Legendary

Activity: 3682
Merit: 1217

View Profile
June 10, 2014, 03:00:55 AM

If you go through it there are lots of NSA references in the notes on updates. Why would the NSA care what a wikipedia page says?

8,326 unique visits during the last month alone. That is why the NSA cares so much about the Wikipedia page.

http://stats.grok.se/en/201405/Utah%20Data%20Center
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: