Bitcoin Forum
June 03, 2024, 11:10:02 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Safest wallet  (Read 5621 times)
devthedev
Legendary

Activity: 1050
Merit: 1004

View Profile
June 09, 2014, 05:30:43 PM

Those look pretty darn nice.  Thanks!  I had not seen those yet.  It is so hard to keep up with all things Bitcoin...

Definitely, I just ordered one myself. I should be receiving it any day now.

newIndia
Legendary

Activity: 2226
Merit: 1049

View Profile
June 09, 2014, 07:17:52 PM

Those look pretty darn nice.  Thanks!  I had not seen those yet.  It is so hard to keep up with all things Bitcoin...

This is purely fancy in my opinion. Bitcoin addresses generated through blockchain.info and saved as paper wallet provide enough security.

devthedev
Legendary

View Profile
June 09, 2014, 07:32:05 PM

This is purely fancy in my opinion. Bitcoin addresses generated through blockchain.info and saved as paper wallet provide enough security.

I rather have a nice piece of wood than a piece of paper on my desk.

newIndia
Legendary

View Profile
June 09, 2014, 07:45:09 PM

Why would u have a piece of wood on your desk ? That is insecured to protect your private key. Someone may get a glimpse of it through webcam, someone may just take it away. Have it on a paper and keep it in your wallet/shelf. At least it is hidden unlike being open on the desk.

devthedev
Legendary

View Profile
June 09, 2014, 08:12:01 PM

Why would u have a piece of wood on your desk ? That is insecured to protect your private key. Someone may get a glimpse of it through webcam, someone may just take it away. Have it on a paper and keep it in your wallet/shelf. At least it is hidden unlike being open on the desk.

#1 it's BIP38 Encrypted
#2 there's no difference between what's on my paper wallet and what's going to be on the wood.

BurtW
Legendary

Activity: 2646
Merit: 1136

All paid signature campaigns should be banned.

View Profile WWW
June 09, 2014, 08:24:31 PM

Well, actually, the private key on the paper is probably not encrypted whereas the private key on the very nice piece of wood is encrypted by design - you would never want to give the person carving the wood your private key, right?  So, they only accept encrypted private keys.

Our family was terrorized by Homeland Security.  Read all about it here:  http://www.jmwagner.com/ and http://www.burtw.com/  Any donations to help us recover from the $300,000 in legal fees and forced donations to the Federal Asset Forfeiture slush fund are greatly appreciated!
advanced

Activity: 267
Merit: 250

Woodwallets.io

View Profile WWW
June 09, 2014, 08:45:31 PM

Nice to see people discussing woodwallets Wink  There is no a single answer, paper is fine too.  Aluminium also is beautiful.
If you ever do paper wallets, please laminate them...

I'll tell you a secret : the reason why I started making woodwallets is because I lost coins (not much, but still) that were on a paper wallet. I was using it daily (bring around, pay at the bar, show it to people, use it for workshop) and the paper degraded to a point where the QR didn't scan.  I didn't had a backup copy of it (shame on me).

And that's how we got those fancy pieces of wood to the market Cheesy

Bitmessage : BM-NAx31aEiqeq5zKUtxhKscXQ7Dwn1jJfR
newIndia
Legendary

View Profile
June 09, 2014, 09:26:44 PM

Nice to see people discussing woodwallets Wink  There is no a single answer, paper is fine too.  Aluminium also is beautiful.
If you ever do paper wallets, please laminate them...

I'll tell you a secret : the reason why I started making woodwallets is because I lost coins (not much, but still) that were on a paper wallet. I was using it daily (bring around, pay at the bar, show it to people, use it for workshop) and the paper degraded to a point where the QR didn't scan.  I didn't had a backup copy of it (shame on me).

And that's how we got those fancy pieces of wood to the market Cheesy

Really great to know your story... but this is the worst part of Bitcoin security...

I didn't had a backup copy of it

For my cold wallets, I try to have digital copies of the same print stored at different offline locations. Wood/Aluminium or whatever hard wallet u use is fine as a showpiece. But for real use, I believe, they are just fancy. For example, my pet has left his sign on almost all the wooden furnitures at home. I'm sure, if I get a wooden wallet, he'll make it his toy at my absense Cheesy

devthedev
Legendary

View Profile
June 09, 2014, 09:28:53 PM

Well, actually, the private key on the paper is probably not encrypted whereas the private key on the very nice piece of wood is encrypted by design - you would never want to give the person carving the wood your private key, right?  So, they only accept encrypted private keys.

The private keys on each paper wallet I create are encrypted (: I use this, https://github.com/pointbiz/bitaddress.org. It has the built in area where you can input a encryption passphrase. Which is also the same code I used to create my encrypted private keys for the wood wallet

newIndia
Legendary

View Profile
June 09, 2014, 09:35:47 PM

The private keys on each paper wallet I create are encrypted (: I use this, https://github.com/pointbiz/bitaddress.org. It has the built in area where you can input a encryption passphrase. Which is also the same code I used to create my encrypted private keys for the wood wallet

SO, u need to remember a password to decrypt the wooden wallet ...is not it ?

devthedev
Legendary

View Profile
June 09, 2014, 09:42:04 PM

SO, u need to remember a password to decrypt the wooden wallet ...is not it ?

Exactly, I consider it a 2FA of sorts. I have different decryption pass-phrases for each of my wallets. (Especially wallets for my escrow service)

Demille

Activity: 69
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 09, 2014, 09:46:01 PM
Last edit: August 12, 2015, 07:10:41 PM by Demille

Blockchain.info is great for beginners as you dont have to download the entire blockchain which is annoying at first.

131FGdZrboKxRr3q6z77fNnX2vEBbBj21i
devthedev
Legendary

View Profile
June 09, 2014, 09:49:34 PM

Blockchain.info is great for beginners as you dont have to download the entire blockchain which is annoying at first.

If I had to use a Web Wallet that's the one I'd use. However, if you're going to use it make sure you backup your private keys somewhere in case their site goes "poof".

BurtW
Legendary

Activity: 2646
Merit: 1136

All paid signature campaigns should be banned.

View Profile WWW
June 09, 2014, 09:53:27 PM

If I had to use a Web Wallet that's the one I'd use. However, if you're going to use it make sure you backup your private keys somewhere in case their site goes "poof".
This is true for every single wallet of every type (including paper, wood, etc.),  BACKUPS!

Our family was terrorized by Homeland Security.  Read all about it here:  http://www.jmwagner.com/ and http://www.burtw.com/  Any donations to help us recover from the $300,000 in legal fees and forced donations to the Federal Asset Forfeiture slush fund are greatly appreciated!
Harley997

Activity: 266

View Profile
June 10, 2014, 02:51:13 AM

I would not recommend blockchain for newbies. They would likely not understand the importance of strong passwords. As if you try to login three or four times to your yahoo account you will be forced to use captsha before you try again, slowing you down, and after enough attempts you will be locked out for x amount of time. With blockchain passwords you can try an unlimited number of times without limit and can try a password without a connection to the internet.

Multibit and/or coinbase are better options for newbies as they offer a better amount of security for someone with the above amount of knowledge   

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
PRIMEDICE
The Premier Bitcoin Gambling Experience @PrimeDice
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
CEG5952

Activity: 658
Merit: 500

Buy and sell bitcoins,

View Profile
June 10, 2014, 04:58:57 AM

Bitcoin QT, Electrum and Multi Bit are all quite secure. I would recommend any of them, depending on your needs. As always, the key to keeping your coins safe is cold storage.

mine-hard

Activity: 2
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 10, 2014, 05:30:57 AM

you are the weakest link in using a wallet
advanced

Activity: 267

Woodwallets.io

View Profile WWW
June 10, 2014, 08:28:49 AM

You guys should get out of the browser for doing encryption stuff. A browser is weak and has several failure points.
 try bippy, offline, fast, python, multi-currency, open source, etc .

Install Kivy (required for the UI), clone and run from github :

Code:
git clone git@github.com:inuitwallet/bippy.git
Disconnect from the internet and make sure you are using a clean machine (better a Live DVD) and execute the tool
Code:
cd bippy
kivy bippy.py

Bitmessage : BM-NAx31aEiqeq5zKUtxhKscXQ7Dwn1jJfR
Coef

Activity: 882
Merit: 1000

Exhausted

View Profile
June 10, 2014, 08:35:26 AM

I would not recommend blockchain for newbies. They would likely not understand the importance of strong passwords. As if you try to login three or four times to your yahoo account you will be forced to use captsha before you try again, slowing you down, and after enough attempts you will be locked out for x amount of time. With blockchain passwords you can try an unlimited number of times without limit and can try a password without a connection to the internet.

Multibit and/or coinbase are better options for newbies as they offer a better amount of security for someone with the above amount of knowledge   

The problem with Coinbase is that you have no control of the private keys (and hence the bitcoin).
Of course you must be thinking that Coinbase is a huge company and you could trust it.
Well, mtgox was the biggest and most sucessful bitcoin exchange, once upon a time...

BitCoinDream
Legendary

Activity: 2338
Merit: 1204

The revolution will be digital

View Profile
June 10, 2014, 11:20:04 AM

The problem with Coinbase is that you have no control of the private keys (and hence the bitcoin).
Of course you must be thinking that Coinbase is a huge company and you could trust it.
Well, mtgox was the biggest and most sucessful bitcoin exchange, once upon a time...

If someone is choosing CoinBase, ultimately he/she is getting himself into the banking shackle. So it is better for him to stick to FIAT. Bitcoin is not yet matured enough to meet him/her or he/she is not matured enough to meet bitcoin !!!

Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: