Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 07:57:44 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: [2014-06-03] TechCrunch — You Can Buy 50 Cent's New Album With Bitcoin  (Read 685 times)
dree12 (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1077

View Profile
June 03, 2014, 10:24:49 PM

http://techcrunch.com/2014/06/03/you-can-buy-50-cents-new-album-with-bitcoin/

50 Cent’s new album isn’t doing too well critically, but commercially the rapper is trying to take all comers and is even accepting bitcoin as payment for the record.

Exciting news. Bitcoin is hip!
TalkImg was created especially for hosting images on bitcointalk.org: try it next time you want to post an image
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
BitCoinDream
Legendary

Activity: 2324
Merit: 1204

The revolution will be digital

View Profile
June 03, 2014, 10:28:35 PM

^^
Price is steadily stabilizing over 650 USD for last few days. Good news is coming Smiley

roslinpl
Legendary

Activity: 2212
Merit: 1199

View Profile WWW
June 03, 2014, 11:21:24 PM

http://techcrunch.com/2014/06/03/you-can-buy-50-cents-new-album-with-bitcoin/

50 Cent’s new album isn’t doing too well critically, but commercially the rapper is trying to take all comers and is even accepting bitcoin as payment for the record.

Exciting news. Bitcoin is hip!

+1 Fifty!

This is a kind of a great support for Bitcoin!
Many new people will see a bitcoin logo for the 1st time perhaps Smiley

Smart move and other will follow.
kjlimo
Legendary

Activity: 2086
Merit: 1031

View Profile WWW
June 04, 2014, 02:39:21 AM

^^
Price is steadily stabilizing over 650 USD for last few days. Good news is coming Smiley

and start the drop below 650...

Coinbase for selling BTCs
Fold for spending BTCs
PM me with any questions on these sites/apps!  http://www.montybitcoin.com

or Vircurex for trading alt cryptocurrencies like DOGEs
CoinNinja for exploring the blockchain.
zeetubes

Activity: 371
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 04, 2014, 05:34:23 AM

I think he should change his name to 0.0015 BTC
Glizlack

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 04, 2014, 05:40:46 AM

Lol .0015 the rapper!

In all seriousness I feel like a lot of music artists are currency agnostic. They don't care how you pay!!!  I believe this will spread more and more out of the creative type's business into more of the "main street" type business. Also don't forget 50 cent owns a lot or all of vitamin water not sure the extent so this could be a test run for his other businesses.

Steve

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
PRIMEDICE
The Premier Bitcoin Gambling Experience @PrimeDice
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
lewisg

Activity: 281
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 04, 2014, 05:40:59 AM

He made most of his money from an investment. Safe to say he's always ahead of the curve.

bryant.coleman
Legendary

Activity: 3654
Merit: 1217

View Profile
June 04, 2014, 06:06:55 AM

Nice to see that Bitpay has got another valuable customer.  Grin They have scored another important point in their competition with Coinbase.

BTW... 50 cent is not the first rapper to accept Bitcoin. The honor goes to Snoop Dogg.

http://www.coindesk.com/snoop-dogg-sell-record-bitcoin
Bharat

Activity: 68
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 04, 2014, 06:13:20 AM

I think he should change his name to 0.0015 BTC
ha ha thats funny but certainly boosts BTC Smiley

for sale
Kluge
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1015

View Profile
June 04, 2014, 06:31:11 AM

I think the trouble with "50 Cent" and consumers is that the 50 Cent persona isn't widely realized as a completely satirical figure. Go ahead and find the 50 Cent videogames, particularly Blood on the Sand. It's the most absurd interpretation of Gangsta Rap and American patriotism/exceptionalism out there. It's beautiful art, really. In summary, it's about the rapper (with ridiculous co-playable rapper compatriots, obviously called his "G-Unit") going to the middle east for a concert they're promised $10m for putting on. The fellow's unable to pay, so 50 Cent takes some blinged-out human skull instead. This skull is stolen, and 50 Cent goes on a hilarious rampage, killing thousands of "sand niggers" just to extract payment, and because America. Thoughout this, 50 Cent makes hilarious off-the-cuff quips... there's a particular section where there's a massive cement cylinder suspended and a bit askew in the background, and out of the blue, 50 Cent decided that'd be a good place to shout, straight-faced, "I BET THAT'S NOT OSHA-APPROVED!" I don't often burst out in laughter, and that line delivery sticks in my mind because of it.

Rap in general has been completely misunderstood, I hope (and if not, it's just another arrogant Jewish creation, which is just as fine by me). Body Count, for example, is one of my favorites for a good chuckle. A picturesque environment is painted from the Cosby Show, keeping in mind Bill Cosby is known for growing up in a troubled neighborhood and overcoming it to provide a very "sterile" sitcom to give role models and a kind of stability to the downtrodden... and anyway, he follows the painting with "SHIT AIN'T LIKE THAT!!! IT'S REAL FUCKED UP!!!" The fellow then goes in to talking about his case of hand grenades and whatnot and how - and this is my favorite part - if you should want to know what to do about it, "FUCK YOU!!" (this is an audience-led answer-and-response section in the piece)... It's almost kind of cute and innocent fun compared to typical music and does actually make some decent points, all with this delightfully aggressive melody to back-drop it. I'd just love to see something like a Rap Bible... Moses said unto Jesus, "tell us what to do." FUCK YOU!! World's greatest Mass right there, I think.
dree12 (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1077

View Profile
June 05, 2014, 12:44:52 AM

Nice to see that Bitpay has got another valuable customer.  Grin They have scored another important point in their competition with Coinbase.

BTW... 50 cent is not the first rapper to accept Bitcoin. The honor goes to Snoop Dogg.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Snoop Dogg has yet to actually sell an album for Bitcoin, right? He has just claimed (perhaps jokingly) that he's interested in selling the next one for Bitcoin. Note that he also decided it would be delivered by drone.
gweedo
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 05, 2014, 12:46:45 AM

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Snoop Dogg has yet to actually sell an album for Bitcoin, right? He has just claimed (perhaps jokingly) that he's interested in selling the next one for Bitcoin. Note that he also decided it would be delivered by drone.

Correct, but he hasn't put out an album since the announcement so I think he was saving that for a new album.
bryant.coleman
Legendary

Activity: 3654
Merit: 1217

View Profile
June 05, 2014, 05:25:30 AM

Even if he hasn't yet sold an album for Bitcoins, he should be credited as the first rapper to adopt Bitcoin. His announcement had generated a lot of positive PR for the digital currency.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: